Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Mario odyssey does not have forced motion controls.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Mario odyssey does not have forced motion controls.

What do you mean?

Certain moves are exclusive to controller shaking, no alternatives, thus 'forced motion controls'.

Here's a video, from IGN that shares the criticism, with some examples.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

No game play elements require you to use motion controls to complete the game or receive any moons. I repeat it again. There are no forced motion controls in this game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

You can argue semantics all you want.

The fact is, the game wants you and expects you to use motion controls to progress, even if you are technically able to without, it makes the game a lot less enjoyable without access to the extra moves.

Thus it 'forces' you to use motion controls unless you want play a gimped down game.

Now this may be just me personally, but I don't like to play as a gimp, even if I can.

Also if you want to argue semantics so much, backflipping with a frog is a 'gameplay element' you can't do that without shaking the controller, thus the game 'forcing' motion controls. Yes you don't need to do this to 100% to finish the game, but then again you don't need to finish the game at all, but in order to play it 100% you are 'forced' to use motion controls.

Now, regardless of the semantic argument we can go in circles with, the point for a player that doesn't like motion controls (like me), especially outside of mini-game stuff, is that if you want to play the game properly, you either have to use them or incredibly limit yourself within the game, there's also other issues that rise in handheld mode.

But I'm not sure why we're arguing here at all? You like motion controls more power to you, I don't, I never will, more power to me.

I did absolutely feel forced to use them during my time with the game and along with those silly jumping rope and beach volley mini games, they are my biggest and pretty much only criticisms of an otherwise great game.

So is Super Mario Odyssey absolutely worth buying if you got a Switch? Yes! Is it perfect? No! Nothing is.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm quite confident you can get all the moons without once using the motion controls. So there's no "gimping" of the game if you don't use them.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

MrPopo wrote:I'm quite confident you can get all the moons without once using the motion controls. So there's no "gimping" of the game if you don't use them.

I think it is technically possible, though some of them, going by memory, become especially harder to get in those conditions.

However, what does that have to do with gimping?

It is gimping (I was using it as an MMO term here) me in the sense that it restricts my abilities, I don't want to be restricted, and most importantly, I don't want to shake my controller to climb every pole in the game, and end up doing it at two times the slower speed if I don't.

Not to mention that rolling, is one of the fastest ways to get around, not even sure if its possible to do without motion controls, but even then maintaining momentum after that in even ground is probably hell.

I don't understand the defensiveness here? This is one of the biggest criticisms about the game, it is not a controversial opinion I thought.

But just as a way to remove the technicality, because there seems to be a purposeful attempt here, to stick to the letter, rather than the spirit of the law as it were, I will revise my initial statement to:

"Odyssey forcing motion controls down your throat"

How about that?

To clarify, 'forcing' in this context is a colloquialism and not meant to be taken literally, from an online dictionary on the 'forcing down your throat' idiom:

"To force, compel, or attempt to make someone accept, endure, consider, or agree with/to something."

Of course the idiom can be meant literally too, but not in my case, because the bold part right there is how I mean it. And I explicitly state so.

So now, if you want to defend Nintendo's worst game design decision, on an otherwise, mostly wonderfully designed game, do it on its own merits and not on semantics on the word 'forced'.

And the real distinction in our semantic argument here, is that I think that having specific moves restricted behind motion controls is forcing them on you, since there's something in the game you cannot do (the moves themselves), without using them. You think because you can move on with the linear progression of the game, by laboriously going around the motion controls and at a slower pace, doesn't.

Hope that puts this to rest and so we can move on with more constructive discussion.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

This is all very very silly and pointless. Nothing is being shoved down your throat. It is not mandatory. It is a video game about an Italian plumber traveling the world to save a princess from being forced into marriage by a giant turtle man.

Edit: Hold zl and press Y or X to roll. Hold y to climb faster. You are welcome.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Yup. I 100%'d that thing with the Pro Controller. Definitely never had to use motion controls. Which was odd, as I'd heard there were a small handful of moons you had to get using the joycons separated, but I never encountered that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

We're generally not fans of major hyperbole on this forum, and complaining to have something to complain about is also frowned upon. That's why you're getting this reaction.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

BogusMeatFactory wrote: Hold zl and press Y or X to roll. Hold y to climb faster. You are welcome.

Does this duplicate the exact same effect as shaking? I share the frustration with needing to shake the controller to play more efficiently and don't remember an alternative solution being available. It was for that same reason that I never played the game in handheld mode, as requiring motion controls in a game that otherwise rewards the player for precision is an especially terrible idea on a portable system.