Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
opa
128-bit

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by opa »

Does anyone have the port of Doom on Switch? Apparently they're doing another update and I'm just wondering if they fixed the sound yet.

marurun wrote:Demon's Tilt, a video pinball spiritual successor to Devil's Crush, is coming to Switch! Yay!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... _to_switch

That's really cool. Always good to have more pinball!
Ack

Post by Ack »

So...Dark Souls Remastered worth the price tag in Switch? I haven't spent much time with the series but was always interested.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Ack wrote:So...Dark Souls Remastered worth the price tag in Switch? I haven't spent much time with the series but was always interested.

Late reply I know...

Depends on what you're looking for. It's a solid version of the game, and in a way, closer to the original release - handheld it's 720p/30, and docked dynamic res up to 1080p/30, following the 720p/30 (target) of the original console versions. The other platforms target 60fps. There are a few adjustments that all platforms get that are really of the "nice" variety, and they all include the DLC now. The Switch version does seem to have low bitrate audio that's a bit muddy, but that's really the only problem with it.

At this time though, the Switch version is still commanding the release price (~$40) where the other console versions have dropped to $20. If you aren't planning to play it on the go, then going with a different version might be better. Personally though, I bought it (along with the PC version), because I find it to be a very replayable game.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Thinking about finally jumping in here. What’s the general community feedback on the retro titles available on the system digitally? I read something that noted M2 has been involved?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

What do you mean by retro??

I haven't touched the NES stuff, but have downloaded bunches of arcade games.

The Arcade Archives and ACA NeoGeo series are handled by the same outfit (Hamster). The emulation quality is very good, and there are plenty of options for the player. ACA NeoGeo seems to have stalled or stopped completely (makes sense, as Neo Geo games are finite), but a new Arcade Archives entry drops every Thursday at noon.

Sega Ages is a mixture of arcade, SMS, and Genesis titles. M2 is indeed involved with the emulation, and these are excellent releases. Unfortunately, these are also trickled out very slowly.

Then there's the (defunct?) Johnny Turbo releases, which are emulated Data East arcade games. These are mostly okay, though by default the games are stretched to 16:9 and have scanlines. Also, controls and options are rather inconsistent.
Last edited by BoneSnapDeez on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Thanks. Sega Ages is super intriguing. Hamster I was on the fence with, but if the emulation is good...
Ack

Post by Ack »

Don't forget some of the official retro collections too! The Capcom beat em up bundle has been a particular favorite of mine, and there is a Castlevania collection I have been eyeing.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Truth. There's also a Konami compilation, vaguely named Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection.

Also, the Psikyo shmups. I downloaded most of these, and they seem decent enough. I've read that some people have issues with the emulation speed. I'm not a shmup aficionado and most of these games I haven't played elsewhere, so I can't really comment on that.

There's also some random standalone retro stuff buried in the eShop... Monkey King: Master of the Clouds (Chuka Taisen), R-Type Dimensions EX (the first two R-Type games with a choice of rehauled or retro graphics), Vasara Collection, the Saboteur! ZX Spectrum titles...... That's just off the top of my head.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

One thing I’ve noticed on the eShop recently are homebrew games for vintage systems. While there are a ton of modern games aping retro aesthetics on the eShop, these homebrew games were actually released for systems like the Genesis, NES, etc. The ones I’ve seen so far are:

Coffee Crisis (Genesis)
Creepy Brawlers (NES)
Halloween Night ‘86 (NES)

Sydney Hunter & The Curse of the Mayan (which is a great game everyone should play), also contains Sydney Hunter & The Shrines of Peril, a homebrew ColecoVision game. Does anyone else know of any other homebrew games available on the eShop?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Halloween Night ‘86 (NES)

I grabbed this the other day.

Big news in the retro arcade world -- Hamster now releasing Data East games. Is this definite proof of the death of Johnny Turbo?
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/0 ... e_archives