Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

fastbilly1 wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:As to how many of those were or are still exclusives, I'll leave that legwork up to the next guy.

So cutting that list of launch titles down to actual games and not multiple versions and individual Skylanders:

Angry Birds: Star Wars
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Blacklight: Retribution
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Contrast
Costume Quest 2
DC Universe Online
Doki-Doki Universe
Escape Plan
Ethan: Meteor Hunter
FIFA 14
flOw
Flower
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition
Just Dance 2014
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed: Rivals
The Pinball Arcade
Pinball FX2
The Playroom: My Alien Buddy
Resogun
Skylanders: Swap Force
Sound Shapes
Super Motherload
Tiny Brains
Trine 2: Complete Story
War Thunder
Warframe
Zen Pinball 2

That makes 35

Cutting out the ones I know that are not exclusive, you end up with 13:
Blacklight: Retribution
Contrast
Doki-Doki Universe
Escape Plan
Ethan: Meteor Hunter
flOw
Flower
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
The Playroom: My Alien Buddy
Sound Shapes
Super Motherload
War Thunder

Can someone double check my work? And yes that was just the two months, I will look at first year if this ends up being fruitful.

That looks about right, but flow and flower were on ps3
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

This page might be useful:

http://gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

flOw was a Sony exclusive, but not a PS4 exclusive, and that's only if you don't count the free Flash original.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Reprise wrote:Honestly, the fact 97% of Fifa 18s sales, so far, have been for PS4 and XB1 versions, with just 3% being for PS3, 360 and Switch versions, does have me a little worried about third party support in the future... I know it's EA, I know Nintendo fans can be snobby about those kinda games and I know they'll say that it's EA's fault as they made an "inferior" version, but I expect better sales than that.

I hope you're aware that story was manipulated clickbait. Those totals were just for the UK, they sold around 7000 copies, but they only did a minimum run too there which if history holds true is 10K copies. The game also stripped out the most popular mode of the game that's included in the others. EA showed little faith for it in the UK and the fans basically bought the complete game elsewhere. It was set up for failure.

Bogus is right you're grasping at straws trying to compare the vita environment to the switch. Outside of them both being powerful and portable is about where it starts and finishes. Like maru said, you have a couple angles that need to work and if Nintendo keeps the quality consistently releasing and up and coming while Bethesda can prove PC and console games on the whole can work well and get buyer support well it'll open quite a few doors for fence sitters. Look at Capcom, they had no faith but did USF2 as a test and it blew their idea of sales out many times over so they decided to start doing more games. Just because EA in one country released a minimum run of a stripped sports title doesn't speak to doom.

WCLEM: Moaning Nintendo is going the way of Sega has been a mantra since 20 years back and it hasn't happened yet. It started to on the WiiPU which stunk but the errors there they definitely corrected with the Switch and it seems to be paying dividends now. There are plenty of releases, you either don't care to recognize them or do and just don't have an interest but that's you not a majority of people. You bring up PS4. Last game I liked on that was Godzilla so I sold the games and use it as a media player and those console titles I get in better form on my PC.

The internal memory is small because if you're not a digital sucker it's all you really do need, that's why you don't have 256 in there as it would add an expense. Also consider this argument, the lack of internal space without added cards is forcing developers to properly test their damn games and make them work when they come out. Do you prefer a working game or a broken one you can be a buying beta tester for to then have 1+GB patches to fix?

The controller price sucks but it's annoyingly warranted given the added tech in there over what even the WiiU had going on in its pro controller and for most games they work as 2 individual $40 controllers. If anyone questions if it's a console or a handheld, they don't get it as it's both which is entirely the point.

I do find it amusing given the crazy sales the Switch has sustained that somehow they're in trouble with an uphill climb. We can talk trouble 2 years out if people bail on them, but right now that's just not a good statement to make.

I currently have 6 physical and 3 digital titles on mine, but due to some awesome gift cards and prime discount I have 6 more in the queue. :)
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, the lack of internal memory is a non-issue. Flash memory gets cheaper and cheaper, and I can buy bigger and bigger cards. That's much better than a fixed solution. And thankfully, they didn't go the Sony route with the Vita memory cards. I mean, seriously, the prices on those are still ridiculous. I have literally passed on buying a few things because I don't really have room for it, and I don't feel like jumping through all the backup hoops necessary to make room. I know that seems petty, but I'm guessing I'm not the only one.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'm just going to quote myself from a few page back. Do note I don't own a Switch yet personally and maybe I'm buying into some hype myself, but times are different. I think the Switch will continue to be huge. Exclusives and high tech isn't the main priority anymore. And even if Switch first party exclusives have been or will be on the lighter side, it doesn't matter, Nintendo will always still have more exclusives than Sony and Xbox combined in the end.

Xeogred wrote:I think the Switch came out in the right place at the right time, hitting a perfect storm. I think all gamers no matter how hard or little they go into it have realized by 2017, that graphics are one of the last driving points to a game thesedays. Yeah sure, it's great to see that tech pushed forward and get that Uncharted level of production every once and awhile to wow us all in the hobby, but that's just the surface of gaming. In an era of the indie boom continuing, phone games, and smaller developing teams coming up, you've got stuff like Stardew Valley or Player Unknown Battlegrounds that have been monster blockbusters that aren't particularly crazy in the production departments. I think developers themselves are waking up to this as well. It saves them a lot of time and money as they focus on other things, like making awesome gameplay, stories (Nier Automata), and working on the things that matter most. There are plenty of Wii and Wii U games that look better than 360/PS3/PC era stuff in terms of art direction or whatnot, despite being technically way underpowered. Art style and direction can go a long way with other elements of those games outclassing the rest out there.

tl;dr what I'm getting at, is it matters lesser than ever before how the Switch isn't the most powerful system out there. The Wii and U got a lot of flack for being underpowered, but I don't think we will see that same attitude towards the Switch. That simply doesn't matter anymore and the amount of 3rd party and indie support they've gotten is staggering. Everyone is still predicting all those Japanese Steam/PSVita type games will fly over to the Switch too. It's funny to think back how people thought the Switch was going to be do or die for Nintendo, well this has to be one of the best comebacks we've ever seen. No I don't think it's earthshattering yet or anything, but this year for them has been 10x better than I think anyone could have predicted and we're just getting started.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Xeogred you bring up a great point on the importance of top tier tech for gaming.

I feel like we have entered the age of scalability. Sony and Microsoft are making upgrade systems that are beefier than their predecessors, but all software works on both. Why? There is something to these decisions.

Why is Bethesda on board with the switch in a big way? Because their engines pride themselves on their scalability. Doom would not be possible on wii u. Nintendo made a system that can handle scaled back current gen top tier titles that was just not possible in the last generation. The Wii couldn't get 360 or ps3 games, it had to have its own custom made from scratch version or have a ps2 port.

Sales numbers mean a lot to third party developers and that growing user base looks good and with Mario and xenoblade chronicles 2 for the holiday season it is looking amazing for system sales. That is the tipping point for a LOT of people.

Not to mention that Nintendo made a smart system that works for developers unlike the Wii u.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, and all the hardware continues to become a bit more universal which is helpful. Scalability will only continue to get better. Doom is a really cool testament (I'm assuming Wolfenstein II is on the same engine).

Half the Wii U thread was doom and gloom calling for the end of Nintendo and yeah that didn't really happen, so... :roll: :lol:
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Xeogred wrote:Yeah, and all the hardware continues to become a bit more universal which is helpful. Scalability will only continue to get better. Doom is a really cool testament (I'm assuming Wolfenstein II is on the same engine).

Half the Wii U thread was doom and gloom calling for the end of Nintendo and yeah that didn't really happen, so... :roll: :lol:

Yeah you can look back at the Wii u and say it is a failure bybthe numbers and by the poorly implemented idea, but you would be wrong to say it didn't have some insanely fun games on it, especially if you liked co op!

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Tanooki wrote:
Reprise wrote:Honestly, the fact 97% of Fifa 18s sales, so far, have been for PS4 and XB1 versions, with just 3% being for PS3, 360 and Switch versions, does have me a little worried about third party support in the future... I know it's EA, I know Nintendo fans can be snobby about those kinda games and I know they'll say that it's EA's fault as they made an "inferior" version, but I expect better sales than that.

I hope you're aware that story was manipulated clickbait. Those totals were just for the UK, they sold around 7000 copies, but they only did a minimum run too there which if history holds true is 10K copies. The game also stripped out the most popular mode of the game that's included in the others. EA showed little faith for it in the UK and the fans basically bought the complete game elsewhere. It was set up for failure.

Eh, no need to patronise. They may have done a minimum run, but if they didn't sell them, then... The Switch version was marketed pretty heavily in the UK and a big deal was made out of it (even if it didn't feature The Journey and I'm still thinking to myself why some people are making a big deal out of a story mode in a freaking FOOTBALL game). It may not be the 'same' game that PS4 and XB1 got, but it's still a big step up from the Fifa games on the PS3 and 360 and it's the most effort EA have ever put into a FIFA title on a Nintendo platform, both in terms of the gameplay and the marketing that went with it (yeah, I know that doesn't say a lot...).

I would agree with you that whichever way you look at it, Fifa on Switch isn't as 'complete' or 'worth the money' as the versions on PS4 and XB1, but rightly or wrongly, this is a viscous circle that third party developers get themselves in and I wouldn't want history to repeat itself. We saw it on Wii U when we either got shoddy ports or flat out rip offs (remember when they released Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U? They charged full retail price whilst simultaneously releasing a trilogy boxset with all 3 games for the same price, for the PS3 and 360, when the first two games had never even been released on a Nintendo platform before).

*third party publisher releases inferior or shoddy port for Nintendo platform*
*sales are low, because said port is inferior or shoddy*
*third party publishers decide "OUR GAMES DON'T SELL ON NINTENDO"*
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328