Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: NX Predictions Thread

Post by Fragems »

For whatever reason when I hear NX I associate it with the NGage :lol: . Another innovative platform which was super succ....
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Fragems wrote:For whatever reason when I hear NX I associate it with the NGage :lol: . Another innovative platform which was super succ....

Oh come on when has Nintendo with a console ever done wr...
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

People still play Pocket Kingdom: Own the World on the Ngage. Atleast they did two years ago when I had one to check.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

In fairness to the NGage, I've been really wanting to add one to my collection thanks to Metal Jesus's video about it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:In fairness to the NGage, I've been really wanting to add one to my collection thanks to Metal Jesus's video about it.

Haha I saw the video too and thought the same thing :lol:

Also, true story, but I came so close to buying one at the tail end of its life when it was dead and they were practically giving them and the games away. Kinda wish I had now.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Reprise wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:In fairness to the NGage, I've been really wanting to add one to my collection thanks to Metal Jesus's video about it.

Also, true story, but I came so close to buying one at the tail end of its life when it was dead and they were practically giving them and the games away. Kinda wish I had now.

I didn't even know about them until a couple years after they were discontinued and already impossible to find where I lived. :(

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Reprise wrote:

I didn't even know about them until a couple years after they were discontinued and already impossible to find where I lived. :(

Really? Weren't they marketed heavily in America? Here in the UK, there was quite a bit of hype initially (although it died down very quickly). I remember my mates and I being reasonably hyped for it, testing it in games shops before it came out. It seemed like a reasonably big deal at the time, especially as it seemed to match PS1 graphics in a time when the GBA was still big, but then of course the DS and PSP came out and destroyed it. The NGage having some terrible design decisions and being a pretty lousy phone kinda killed it.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Oh, I remember all the N-Gage hype very well. The biggest claim to fame was a mostly-uncompromised port of Tomb Raider. The problem with it was mostly two-fold: you had to side-talk on it, so it looks like you were talking on a taco, and to switch game cartridges, you had to pull the back off and take the battery out, too! It was a masterclass in what not to do with device ergonomics.

They did release a revised version, but the damage was done by then. And it was still before the smartphone craze. Heck, even with the smartphone craze, Sony's Xperia Play didn't do that well, either.

(I almost got an Xperia Play, by the way. Deal fell through when I couldn't keep my old texting plan, which was $5, and the only other option went up to $20 a month.)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

The reason I missed it was a mix of being 11 years old and living in bum-fuck North Carolina 45 minutes from nearest town of more than 4,000 people.

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

The only reason I even knew about the N-Gage was due to X-Play. Every once in a blue moon they'd do a review. The last I heard of it, the hosts were answering viewer questions, and one of them was something along the lines of "why don't you do N-Gage reviews anymore?" and they said they didn't bother anymore because the N-Gage was dead and nothing had been released for ages.

And that was the last I heard about the N-Gage until I joined this forum.