Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Xeogred wrote:Double dipping for Tropical Freeze was so worth it. After going through this one a second time and having played the SNES trilogy a lot over the years, I think I've decided TF is my second favorite after DKC1. I don't like the music as much as the DKC2-DKC3 tunes and I miss the Kremlins... but TF is just amazing and a lot more consistent than those two to me. Think this is also the first time I played through the secret world 7. Rock solid difficulty with the insane K levels accessible from just collecting the KONG levels in every level, pretty doable and not as annoying as some other collectible hunts, great art style, amazing music, every single level impresses me and is refreshing. Funky Kong mode seems fun so I'll have to play that down the road, unlocked Hard Mode too. Glad this game got a second chance on the Switch. This is a MUST OWN!
8)

I am glad others have seen the light to the brilliance and majesty that is TROPICAL FREEZE!!!! While I put it at number one as the best, I can see the argument for the music being not as good. But the context in platforming, level design and just the tiny details in the world are unparalleled for any 2d platformer. Plus Cranky Kong kicks ass.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Plus I just love playing as DK himself! Always feels a bit weird you don't get to use him in the SNES sequels after DKC1.

I recall liking the music more in Returns (for the two Retro games), even though a lot of it was more remixes of the classic. I love Returns as well but haven't played it in years, I think I'm going to check out the 3DS version sometime this year for a replay. I recall liking some stuff it had over TF more and vice versa (the awesome factory zone in Returns, the music level that was in sync with the environment was mindblowing. Freaking 11/10). However Returns weirdly had no water levels! Glad TF brought those back. So it'll be interesting to see how I feel about both when I replay Returns again next. But yeah TF is just incredible from start to finish. I know some people complain about Return's controls, sure... but Tropical Freeze, you've got NO EXCUSES! Must play. :D

What I love about both DKC1 and TF is the bright and colorful vibrant levels. The atmosphere is amazing. DKC2 has this putrid dread to it for the whole ride compared to the first game. I guess DKC3 brings back more of that tropical jungle color but this one has the collectathon issues. I still love them all though. lol

For TF I love having Dixie around the most by far. It's amusing how you specifically need her for some of the secret water exits too, she seems to have some exclusivity to her awesome abilities. Diddy just seems like a worse version haha. Cranky is fun to use though when you need him for those spikes. It's so cool he was a new addition here and more involved.

It was extra amusing running through TF again these last two weeks with the weather being freezing. Those lovely snowy levels hehe.

Definitely a bigger Metroid fan in the end and I'm glad Retro are now at work on Prime 4, but I wonder what they've been doing these last several years. I would love another DKC from them at some point for their own trilogy. People like to point out that a lot of Prime trilogy staff have left over the years, but I think Tropical Freeze is a high testament to how skilled Retro's current staff are as well and with the shift in talent I think that just ups the chances of Prime 4 feeling even more fresh and different than the last three. I have nothing but absolute confidence in them doing Prime 4!

Now Nintendo just needs to give us that damn trilogy on Switch. :mrgreen:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Oh my... there's a YU-NO remake coming to Switch? What are the odds this will leave Japan?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Oh my... there's a YU-NO remake coming to Switch? What are the odds this will leave Japan?

Hey, region free!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Woah! Startropics is coming to Switch Online on March 13th. That's awesome. That's a game I had always been sort of interested in, but never played. Kid Icarus is also getting added, but I'm less enthused about that one. I liked it a lot as a kid, but when I've played it since it hasn't really grabbed me as much. I don't hate it or anything - but Startropics is exciting.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I think Kid Icarus just shows its age in worse ways, and if you're more into the cool blood and boobs style of greek mythology thanks to Kratos maybe it's less appealing too. ;) (Also even for the day the eggplant wizard was a total put off considering how the cure worked.) Startropics is a strange one but it has some good appeal value to it and I think its something they would be wise to revisit if they're IP scratching for something new to do. Kid Icarus had a stellar game on the 3DS after all those years since the GB title so it's not unheard of.

How about that news of nightdive bringing up those Turok 1+2 games back to Nintendo on Switch. Hope they do a physical release of that. It's quite well made and you can have modern conveniences and visuals, or you can throw it down to N64 level if you want too with the fog and all.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

If I had to choose, I'd take Kid Icarus over God Of War any day, haha.

Yeah those Turok remasters are on my radar. Like you, hoping for a physical collection. But we'll see. I'm still holding my breath for physical Wargroove, which they've said they want to do.

I've been busy the last few days, so fell back int comfort food: Lightseekers and Tetris 99. I've got 4 Wins on T99 now, which feels good.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I've been busy and put off most gaming for weeks now. The only thing I've tampered with is Virtual Boy and mostly a mobile phone game I can do easily enough with the time there is. I'm not happy about that, I really need to start playing Vesperia again among others.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Nintendo Switch is stepping into VR.... with Labo. I called it long ago and I 100% endorse this. I will now be buying Labo.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Nintendo Switch is stepping into VR.... with Labo. I called it long ago and I 100% endorse this. I will now be buying Labo.

I heard rumors. This was officially announced? If so.... I'm in.