Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by noiseredux »

Sega Genesis Classics (finally) coming to Switch this winter! I'll gladly trade in my Xbox One version for Switch, as the handheld mode is how I prefer playing 2D retro games.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so the online service launches tonight. Been looking forward to playing these NES games on Switch for so long. And now it sounds like it'll be like 11pm EST before the update happens. WTF. Why even say it's coming out the "18th" if it's going to be an hour before the 19th? Bah!
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

I got a shiny new eshop card last week so that I'd have enough money in preparation for today. Was very excited. Checked the shop at midnight: Nothing. Turned the Switch on and checked again this morning: Nothing. Get back from work and find out they're making me wait till 11pm? That's just cold, dudes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I just downloaded the update, seems it hit a bit earlier than 11. :D

Ya boy is playing SMB3 for the first time in a decade!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'm glad they take paypal, so I just clicked through and enabled it on the website. I was surprised how fast the update download, nes download and all went as you know how servers get hit. Using the 8bitdo NES30Pro felt like a top loader dogbone controller as I assumed it would be so I tried it with a bit of SMB1, RCR, and Zelda and I was not let down. It's a nice service and that's a cool bonus. I didn't expect more than they listed so I'm seeing the $20 value here, more if you're really into clicking away on those NES games all amazon prime movie style there as a nice feature of a larger package deal.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yup, I think it's an excellent value for the price. Obviously for those of y'all with a NES Classic, or all of these actual NES games you might not see the value. But for me, it just made the Switch an even greater little retro library overnight. I played about an hour of SMB3 last night, and made it to the third world. I was amazed at the muscle memory I still have for this game given that the last time I played it was around 2009 or so.

In other news, I beat my first daily challenge in Dead Cells. Shit's hard! And you've got a time limit... I managed to eek it out with 5 seconds left!
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I read that it is possible to upload your own ROMs to the Switch's new emulator. It only took a few hours for someone to figure it out. :lol:

Also, I should be getting my physical copy of Torna the Golden Country today! It is a minor miracle that a Friday release is being delivered on time from Amazon just after the big hurricane.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

bmoc wrote:Also, I should be getting my physical copy of Torna the Golden Country today! It is a minor miracle that a Friday release is being delivered on time from Amazon just after the big hurricane.

Pretty pumped for this, I ordered it too so hopefully have it tomorrow. I've heard it's pretty easy to jump back into and gone are the randomized Blades, you just have a specific set of characters. I hear it can run 20-40 hours. I'm excited for a more condensed Xenoblade and this portion of 2's backstory should be amazing.

I guess it's weird how it all worked out with the patches, DLC, season pass, but this Torna release feels like a full blown expansion pack to me. I haven't played 2 since I beat it earlier this year before all the updates so it'll be interesting to see how it is. I just hope you can still get some run/speed upgrades while roaming around.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I'm hoping my copy of Valkyria Chronicles 4 comes today, as it dispatched yesterday. Edit: Got it! :D
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

bmoc wrote:I read that it is possible to upload your own ROMs to the Switch's new emulator. It only took a few hours for someone to figure it out. :lol:

Also, I should be getting my physical copy of Torna the Golden Country today! It is a minor miracle that a Friday release is being delivered on time from Amazon just after the big hurricane.

The homebrew scene on NS is still young but it already has good 8-bit/16-bit game emulation. My co-worker already has the entire NES library available to play on his.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"