Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Reprise »

Captain Toad looks really tempting, the new additions and Odyssey inspired stages look nice, but I don't know if there's enough for me to double dip. I'll have to wait and see (hopefully the price is right...).

South Park is a game I wanted on the Switch, but I ended up getting the PS4 version. May double dip, I'm not sure. If I do, I'll probably wait for a price drop (although Switch games really don't seem to be getting price drops. I've been waiting for ages for one on Batman Telltale Series, which has never happened)

Little Nightmares is one I'll get I think. I haven't played that one before and it looks great.

Octopath Traveler obviously looks amazing and I can't wait for that one. It's great to finally know the release date.

Smash Bros is coming 2018! I kinda suspected it would.

Did I miss anything else announced? I didn't care for a lot of that Direct to be honest.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Okami switch (no physical apparently... damn it all Capcom, quit doing this)

Well the PS4 physical version cost me £12 on release day. I'm assuming it's impossible for Capcom to release a physical version anywhere near that low on Switch and they will probably want to maintain some kind of price parity with the other versions available (as well as not overcharging for the digital version just to keep it in line with the physical version).

Who knows though?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

True, true. I just don't get why they keep skipping physical or making half the game a download. The line of thinking you have works for Okami, but not the others. Maybe it's just from my POV, but Nintendo gamers tend to be bigger sticklers for physical release than those on other platforms.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Oh I definitely agree in regards to their other games and the instances of them making more than half the game a download (Megaman Collection is a disgusting example, since the entire thing could fit on a 8GB cartridge). Okami though, I'm sure it's purely because they don't think people would pay the 'Switch tax' needed to justify a physical version, therefore it would just be more profitable to sell it for lower, but digitally only.

I don't like it either to be honest.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Meanwhile, in PC land, we don't see what the fuss is about digital downloads.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Direct was pretty straightforward, mostly stuff we knew, or was heavily rumored. And, yknow, Smash Bros. No subtitle, so I'm thinking it might be a brand new one rather than port.

Big announcements for me:
Octopath news
Toad treasure Tracker Switch
Crash nsane
Okami switch (no physical apparently... damn it all Capcom, quit doing this)
Smash

The bits of Travis Strikes Back looks bit disappointing... like an overhead beat em up/shooter. Rumors have suggested it would be different from the main series, but still.

Hmm, nothing too exciting for me. I let my friends buy Smash (haha...), I was curious about Captain Toad though. At this point I'm going to start feeling pretty reluctant to pick up anything else on the Wii U, even though I was a fan, but I'd rather get Switch versions now if stuff keeps getting ported. I'll double dip for Tropical Freeze, but I wonder if Captain Toad will be $40 again, I've heard it's very short. Crash was already kind of confirmed. It was incredible and I ran through the whole trilogy last year, so the more people play it the better. Think it was only $30 new...

Hopefully some NEW releases and news is coming to E3.

For now I do want to get Rabbids and Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack sometime.

Reprise wrote:Oh I definitely agree in regards to their other games and the instances of them making more than half the game a download (Megaman Collection is a disgusting example, since the entire thing could fit on a 8GB cartridge).

I was really pissed about this. I was ready to double dip for the collection(s) again and get the new X release(s) on Switch... but making Mega Man 7-10 digital only? Come on... WTF. Japanese publishers continue to amaze me sometimes.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Brand new Smash Bros game coming this year. That's huge. No, it's not a port. Sakurai is working on it. Only has a 2018 Copyright, not a 2014-2018 one. Botw Link. I'm super pumped for the NMH spinoff as it kinda looks like Furi or Nex Machina with Suda 51 weirdness. Octopath release date is awesome. I don't care for Souls (tho did download BB on PS4) but think it's great Souls amiibo is a thing. Really good direct. Switch is getting some decent 3rd party support. It will open more doors for newer titles int he future IMO.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

I shall squeal with disgusting high-pitched fanboy ecstasy if I can use my Sunbro Amiibo with a corresponding new third party character on Smash 5.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Omerta wrote:I shall squeal with disgusting high-pitched fanboy ecstasy if I can use my Sunbro Amiibo with a corresponding new third party character on Smash 5.

SUN BRO IN SMASH 5 OR BUST

MrPopo wrote:Meanwhile, in PC land, we don't see what the fuss is about digital downloads.

That is quite the point! I remember hearing a very interesting point a little after the PS4 and Xbone launches. Like, sure the Xbone's original "game locked to console" thing was pretty bad in comparison to other consoles, but compared to PC, it was really just Steam's model but with family sharing. It's not like account-locked games were a totally new thing, just something beyond the pale for physical releases.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

In PC land, you don't tend to have 32GB of internal storage though ;)

Yeah, yeah, I know, SD Cards are reasonably inexpensive these days, but not really for anything 256GB upwards.