Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogred »

I still need to play XCX. Barely having a story worth anything worries me. I love the look of it though.

Take your blah Xenosaga elsewhere! :lol:

It's amusing that the Xenoblade inconsistencies between the installments mirrors Xenosaga though. Xenosaga 2's character designs were a huge change and bad. Each game had composer changes. And it's a very strange mash up between the trilogy. Even though XCX seems to be self contained, it seems like these new games have some similar weird changes between installments as well, for better or worse. I'm just glad Mitsuda/ACE+ and company are back for Xenoblade 2... XCX's music from what I heard doesn't sound like it even comes close to Xenoblade's level.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Sarge wrote:Yeah, Xenoblade 2 looks like super-generic kiddy anime to me. Hoping it will be good, but blah.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this. What's this, a mockup for an iPhone game?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

To be clear, I'm not blah-ing Xenosaga as a whole, I just don't like the character designs...

...okay, and the pretentiousness. And most of the second game. 8) :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Second game is amazing when you can manipulate the combat system really well and understand some mechanics the game itself doesn't even explain very well at all... but no use saying more since I'm the only one in the world that likes this trilogy a lot. :roll:

Xenosaga 1 was pretty anime, then 2 was a super weird change and KOS-MOS looked terrible. Not to mention Jin runs around in a robe, lmao. I think they got it all right with 3. But yeah even at its worst, the designs still looked way better than Xenoblade 2, lol.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I just don't like how you have to manipulate the combat system in Xenosaga 2 pretty much every single battle. It makes them all a slog. The first and third games were better in this regard.

Despite the weird look of the first game, I honestly thought it was a Final Fantasy-killer. I really, really enjoyed it. I have no idea if it still holds up, though. I think that's primarily impacted by my JRPG burnout at this point.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The trick is all you really need to do is use "Memory" on enemies which saves their weaknesses, then you cast the elemental swords on your characters. It's a cake walk from there. My friend also demonstrated how throughout the entire game you can just use Jr, KOS-MOS, and Momo. For whatever reason because of how the stats work in the game, Momo has the highest stat in one area that ends up making her be the biggest hitter in the game which is kind of hilarious.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I do remember Momo being very, very effective, so she stayed in my team.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

So with yesterday's firmware update, Hori Pokken controllers are now supported on the Switch. Additionally, the Brook Universal Fighting Board will work on the Switch if you hold 1K while plugging it in.

It also looks like Brook is hard at work on Switch super converters. I am thinking I may hold out for one of those or a wired Hori pro controller rather than get a Nintendo Pro controller. I've heard lots of bad things about the D-pad on Nintendo's Pro Controller. Those of you that bought a Nintendo pro controller, have you had any issues with the d-pad accidentally registering an up input when pressing left or right?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I read about that glitch, but I think it was a problem with an initial run of them as I haven't seen the complaints more recently.

Must try and plug my 8bitdo nes 30 pro back into it again. Curious to see how it handles or if nothing has changed. I wonder if it would work wired too.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I probably mentioned it before, but I'm waiting for that SNES30 Pro controller that 8bitdo announced. Apparently it has motion controls, too, so it could completely supplant a Switch Pro controller. If it's $50 or less, it's a complete no-brainer, especially if I can use it on my PC as well.