Nintendo 64 Games Hacked To Remove Blurry Graphics

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Nintendo 64 Games Hacked To Remove Blurry Graphics

Post by Thierry Henry »

Nintendo 64 Games Hacked To Remove Blurry Graphics Via Action Replay Or Flash Cartridges

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/ninten ... idges.html

So how exactly do you play these blur free Nintendo 64 games? Well if you own either a Gameshark/Action Replay or a flash cartridge such as the Everdrive 64 or the Retroactive 64drive, you're in luck. Codes have been made available for a wide range of Nintendo 64 games for the cheat cartridges, whilst those with flash cartridges can apply patches to their game ROMs for ease of access. Furthermore the strength of the codes can be adjusted should you feel a little less anti-aliasing removal would work better.

It's worth noting though that the codes and ROM patches are region specific, so make sure your game matches up to the hack provided.

Download Nintendo 64 Anti-Aliasing Removal ROM Patches:

http://n64.poregon.com/shared/

Nintendo 64 Anti-Aliasing Gameshark Code Thread:

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/is- ... ats.59916/
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo 64 Games Hacked To Remove Blurry Graphics

Post by Tanooki »

It's interesting but the results I think end up going towards personal taste and in some cases not so much. I skimmed it, seems some games like the titles Midway released of arcade ports (HT, Gauntlet, R2R Boxing) don't use AA so they're sharp and clean trying to emulate that(or the DC port) better. That tweak would do nothing for those, point being ,designed as such. These games using AA some did it very very sloppy, Hudson comes to mind if you look at their games, but others I think the softness more than less with the AA on helps the games look better. Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 overall look better with it on, but you'll find in a few cases some farther distance object in their images (castle waterfall, distant rocks on koopa beach) you can now see the definition on them. That I suppose is nice, but it's again taste...it's not like our own eyes can focus sharply at all distances. We focus at a depth and while the rest is there it's blurry/soft and lacking detail which the AA does in those games when applied better/right. When done wrong like in the Bomberman games, it's just muddy and this gamesharking would clean up their lazy screwups.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I think this will end up being like 480i vs 480p with Wii games; for some games, it works REALLY well and looks beautiful, but for some games, the sharper textures actually make it look worse (IMO anyway). Wii Sports is a great example of that; I think it actually looks better in 480i than in 480p.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

As with the Mario Kart photos shown, the dirtiness of the image whilst making the image blurred on the edges makes it look better IMO than if that blur is removed. Some games i'm sure will look better, especially ones that use higher resolution. Games like Super Mario 64 are low-res however.
I am the Bacman