Looking to get into GBA collecting - original backlit GBA?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
flylikeabird
16-bit

Re: Looking to get into GBA collecting - original backlit GB

Post by flylikeabird »

So just got by GBA in the mail... was sold to me as a back lit unit but I have a gross feeling it is a front lit based on the picture quality and based on my memories of the original SP I used to have. What do you guys think of the pics of the unit below? Merit or am I being paranoid? Don't know too much about these screens but the picture quality doesn't look anything near the other units I've seen. Thoughts?

http://imgur.com/weLFlZo

http://imgur.com/y8X8eFs
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Yeah, you're right, that's a front light. Its fuzzy and washed out, and that light shining out the bottom proves it.

To compare, here's a picture I took of mine a couple weeks ago. You can't tell in the darkness, but my gba is the same see through glacier model as yours.

Send 'er back.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
flylikeabird
16-bit

Post by flylikeabird »

That's so annoying! Alarm bells should have went off in my head when I asked him what type of back light it was (AGS-101 or after market) and he said he didn't know about the tech specs...

Did you do you mod yourself? If not is there anyone you recommend buying from, ebay or elsewhere? I just want the clear picture, none of this washed out nonsense...
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Yeah, I did mine myself. I just bought the parts individually.

As for who to do the work, my best suggestion would be to find someone on a forum who offers the service. I'm afraid I don't have any specific people in mind though.

Sorry you got burned on this though man. That really sucks... :(
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

I mean but if you were told it was backlit and got it on ebay you should qualify for money back guarantee. It's obviously frontlit. From what I've heard it's not that hard to do the mod anyways. You just need to modify the case, solder a wire, and attach the adapter ribbon...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Yeah I'd have worried about that too when they refused to answer clearly. Not as if the panel was obvious enough, but being a see through system all the corners lighting up like little bright LED lights that blind you is the dead give away as it's casting that over the screen. It's like a piss poorer version of the standard SP system. Return it, they fight, call out the sucker on ebay(got it there right?) or paypal as selling fraudulent goods and that'll put it to bed.

Go find a picture of the DS LITE running a GBA game or the GB MICRO. See how that looks? That's how your glacier GBA should have displayed. Sharp, crisp, and bright like a mobile phone/tablet would do. I really wish the one I made last year hadn't cracked due to my poor attempt at modding the plastic which laid pressure on the thing annoyingly, but I can't complain given what I do have still.
flylikeabird
16-bit

Post by flylikeabird »

The guy apparently offers returns within 14 days, so don't think he was trying to intentionally trying to rip anyone off, probably just ignorant to the difference.

He also posted pictures so if I wasn't an idiot and checked here with you guys first this wouldn't have happened. I'll let you know how it goes...
flylikeabird
16-bit

Post by flylikeabird »

Kind of jumped the gun, as it was going to for the same price as other backlits on ebay, but included the original GBA box/manuals etc.

Always a sucker for complete games/consoles..
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Yeah can't blame you there(I did sucker myself into a CIB copy of FF7 even when i told myself I wouldn't buy it especially where I did). I do plan on doing the mod myself though(I have two clear glacier gba's so if I do mess it up I have a backup plan...)
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
flylikeabird
16-bit

Post by flylikeabird »

Yeah this picture is much better...glad I swapped out lol.