Looking for help to find a good SNES for component video.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
adlorin

Looking for help to find a good SNES for component video.

Post by adlorin »

Has anyone worked to compile a list of known serial number-ranges and/or physical characteristics of the various SNES cases to know if the unit does (or doesn't) have one of the encoders with native Y Pb Pr output? I searched both the forums and Google a bit, but I couldn't find much more than Y/C pin-outs, RGB discussion, and op-amps.

Thanks,
Ziggy

Re: Looking for help to find a good SNES for component video

Post by Ziggy »

adlorin wrote:native Y Pb Pr output

Those S-ENC encoders output YPbPr, but it's far from ideal. I've yet to see someone come up with a way to get them to a proper component video signal. By FAR your best bet is to use some external RGB to component solution.

Just my 2 cents.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I keep toying with the idea of modding one of my SNES's for YPbPr because why not... but now I have a Framemeister *and* an RGB to YPbPr box, so I have options to use the RGB on both a tube and a flat screen so it's way less interesting.

Plus with Marshall's N64 HDMI kit and Kevin's NES HDMI kit... it's only a matter of time till someone with love for SNES does the same.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

KalessinDB wrote:Plus with Marshall's N64 HDMI kit and Kevin's NES HDMI kit... it's only a matter of time till someone with love for SNES does the same.

Doubtful. The NES only output RF or composhit, and the N64 didn't output RGB. That's why we have those mod kits. The SNES already outputs RGB, so it's unlikely that some one will do something like that for it.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Ziggy587 wrote:Doubtful. The NES only output RF or composhit, and the N64 didn't output RGB. That's why we have those mod kits. The SNES already outputs RGB, so it's unlikely that some one will do something like that for it.

Fair, I hadn't considered that.

Although... NES had the PC10 stopgap for years and Tim's RGB kit now as well (and that's been on the market for a while now, while Kev's kit is only barely in the wild). And N64 has had the RGB mod known about for years as well (and Tim's RGB kit for non-moddable systems). So maybe not as cut and dry?

Shush, a guy can hope can't he? :) I dream of a day I can mod all my systems to output HDMI directly. Cutting down on wires and adapters is always nice.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Those NES and N64 examples are improvements though, not unnecessary items like a SNES video mod would be. The Play Choice PPU worked, but it was total bullshit since you got wrong color pallets. If the trade off for a cleaner picture is wrong colors, I'll pick worse picture every time. The N64 RGB mod existed for a while, yes, but because it wasn't a simple mod and couldn't be done for all revisions of the console, a better solution is most welcomed.

And if you REALLY want HDMI for SNES, an XRGB is your best bet by a long shot.

KalessinDB wrote:Shush, a guy can hope can't he? :) I dream of a day I can mod all my systems to output HDMI directly. Cutting down on wires and adapters is always nice.

Someone did make component cables for the SNES, and it'll work on all revisions of the console (although you'd have to mod the mini for RGB output). It takes the RGB output, and has an RGB to component solution in the cable. I'll see if I can pull up a link for it.

edit: Here it is: http://www.hdretrovision.com/snes/

Just be aware that it's still 240p over component, which some HDTVs cannot display.

And now that I think about it, I should have mentioned this cable for the OP. It's component out of a SNES with no fuss, and it's a much better option than trying to modify the S-ENC YPbPr output.
adlorin

Post by adlorin »

I've seen these before; however, they are prototypes, and not something that one could simply buy at the moment. Regardless, I'm comfortable with modding the SNES, even soldering on a different video encoder if need be.

My SNES's S/N starts out UN29xxx and has the S-RGB (9638) encoder, which I believe to be a later model; its S-Video output is simply atrocious, and its composite output is no more clear than my top-loader NES's RF output. :/

The encoder appears to have the same pin-out as earlier ones, but I don't know for certain. My case is otherwise mint - I keep all of my systems away from direct UV exposure - so I'd really like to use -this- console, if possible.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions - but back to my original question, is there a known S/N range that has encoders that we know have Component output on 'em already?

Thanks,

Ziggy587 wrote:Those NES and N64 examples are improvements though, not unnecessary items like a SNES video mod would be. The Play Choice PPU worked, but it was total bullshit since you got wrong color pallets. If the trade off for a cleaner picture is wrong colors, I'll pick worse picture every time. The N64 RGB mod existed for a while, yes, but because it wasn't a simple mod and couldn't be done for all revisions of the console, a better solution is most welcomed.

And if you REALLY want HDMI for SNES, an XRGB is your best bet by a long shot.

KalessinDB wrote:Shush, a guy can hope can't he? :) I dream of a day I can mod all my systems to output HDMI directly. Cutting down on wires and adapters is always nice.

Someone did make component cables for the SNES, and it'll work on all revisions of the console (although you'd have to mod the mini for RGB output). It takes the RGB output, and has an RGB to component solution in the cable. I'll see if I can pull up a link for it.

edit: Here it is: http://www.hdretrovision.com/snes/

Just be aware that it's still 240p over component, which some HDTVs cannot display.

And now that I think about it, I should have mentioned this cable for the OP. It's component out of a SNES with no fuss, and it's a much better option than trying to modify the S-ENC YPbPr output.