Sega Saturn MK-80000A disc won't spin

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
fredthezombie
24-bit

Sega Saturn MK-80000A disc won't spin

Post by fredthezombie »

Hi, so I've been having issue with my Saturn. It will start up just fine, all the right screens, but the disc wont spin, and can't be recognized. I've looked into it and people say that the disc drives laser assembly is probably the issue and the drives motor should be fine. But if the disc won't spin couldn't that be the drives motor possibly not even the laser? I'm debating on either buying a new laser off ebay but those aren't super cheap, and to get a donor console, that's not exactly a cheap route either. Does anyone know much on this sort've thing? Any help is very appreciated, thanks.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Saturn MK-80000A disc won't spin

Post by Sarge »

I haven't seen this on a Saturn, but there are many times when the laser doesn't detect anything being there, it won't spin the motor up. It wouldn't surprise me if it were the laser. There's a potentiometer for the laser that can be adjusted, at minimum. I've only messed around with that on a "dead" Dreamcast, though.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

This seems like a queer thing to have the Nintendo forum... :lol:

Did you mean to post this in the Sega forum? I'd also suggest posting in the Technical Help forum to have a better chance of its being noticed by our more tech-savvy guys.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:This seems like a queer thing to have the Nintendo forum... :lol:

Did you mean to post this in the Sega forum? I'd also suggest posting in the Technical Help forum to have a better chance of its being noticed by our more tech-savvy guys.

I see thanks for the heads up
fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

Sarge wrote:I haven't seen this on a Saturn, but there are many times when the laser doesn't detect anything being there, it won't spin the motor up. It wouldn't surprise me if it were the laser. There's a potentiometer for the laser that can be adjusted, at minimum. I've only messed around with that on a "dead" Dreamcast, though.

Thanks! Was hoping for a response like this, I'll probably get myself a new laser then!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

No problem. I'd think about tweaking the potentiometer first, see if you can resuscitate the system and make absolutely sure that it's the laser, but in most instances, that's usually what burns out.