NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Markies
128-bit

Re: Favorite N64 Lesser Known Titles

by Markies Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:42 pm

Blu wrote:Beetle Adventure Racing is just a solid racing title, featuring the fad car of the 90's, the new Volkswagen Beetle. It plays great, looks pretty good, and has a nice variety of courses.

If you can get over the fact that you are only racing Beetles, the game is surprisingly good. The racing is good and it is rather fun. Very impressive for a licensed title.

Some other ones with some short blurbs:

Bomberman Hero - GREAT Music. The game can be frustrating at times, but it is not a bad 3D Platformer.

Bust A Move 2 & Bust A Move 99 - Great games with some fun multiplayer action.

Magical Tetris Challenge - Tetris games can be boring, but this one is really well done. There are new blocks and using them can be a challenge. A fun Tetris game with a Disney paint job.

Mickey's Speedway USA - Imagine Diddy Kong Racing without the story mode or upgradeable powerups. It's built on the same engine and it's quite fun. The end is rather brutal, but keep chugging away and you will beat it.

The New Tetris - Fun little Tetris game that is amazing with other people. Fun music and addictive gameplay.

Top Gear Rally - This is an amazing game and a wonderful racer! Besides the Crusin' series, this is my favorite pure racer. Great music, controls and so much fun.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Project 64 2.2, how easy is it to get Goldeneye 64 running with high resolutions and 60 FPS? I've seen some youtube videos and it looks like a blast. Low FPS is kind of why I avoid going back to the N64 with some games.

I wonder how well Bomberman 64 holds up. Never really saw anyone or magazines talk about it much, but I absolutely loved it because it was such an odd combination of an adventure format, even with boss battles, yet the gameplay was this insanely weird intricate puzzle stuff in a 3D realm with sky high difficulty. The Hero games were different and I didn't like them as much, but the first game was amazing. Worth checking out if you want something really different and unique. Amazing music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjnN_p5Clo
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Man, I loved the N64. Here is my list of lesser known titles that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Mischief Makers - This Treasure game is full of so much quirk and absolute lunacy that it is worth playing for the atmosphere alone. This is also one of the only games that uses the Dpad on the controller and your finger will be blistered when all is said and done as you will be mashing that thing to dash like a crazy person. The game is a platformer at its heart, but there are lots of puzzle and combat elements that mix things up. You fight by grabbing things, shaking things and throwing things in odd bouncing trajectories and there is no real words to describe exactly what you are experiencing until you do. The game really encourages 100%ing the game and there are tons of secrets and easter eggs hidden within the game.

Blast Corps - Ultimate destruction at its finest. The goal is really simple, clear a path for a runaway nuclear bomb carrying semi-truck in a series of branching levels. With you are a wide array of vehicles that range from a bomb-carrying R.C. car, dump trucks, race cars, bulldozers and even somersaulting mech suits. The game is incredibly challenging, with tons of secrets and unlockables. This game rocks.

Duke Nukem 64 - This is the port that I enjoy the most. It has altered levels to be more family friendly, granted, but there is so much stuff packed in this title that you can't get on any other system including 4 player split screen co-op and deathmatches, plus a huge amount of maps to play in.

There is more, but I can't think of much at the moment.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Speaking of Tetris, Tetris 64 was oddly released only in Japan and is lots of fun in its own right.

I'm also quite partial to Tetrisphere which is basically Tetris..... on a sphere.

Great console.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:53 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Speaking of Tetris, Tetris 64 was oddly released only in Japan and is lots of fun in its own right.

I'm also quite partial to Tetrisphere which is basically Tetris..... on a sphere.

Great console.

Tetrisphere is great. It isn't really Tetris at all, but it is incredibly fulfilling to get things matched up and watch the layers peel away. Such a fun game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Winback is a pretty cool game that I don't hear many people talk about. It wasn't really for me but it's the closest thing you can get to something like Metal Gear Solid for the N64, and thus felt like a pretty unique entry in the N64 library.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:04 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Blast Corps - Ultimate destruction at its finest. The goal is really simple, clear a path for a runaway nuclear bomb carrying semi-truck in a series of branching levels. With you are a wide array of vehicles that range from a bomb-carrying R.C. car, dump trucks, race cars, bulldozers and even somersaulting mech suits. The game is incredibly challenging, with tons of secrets and unlockables. This game rocks.

Yeah, I could honestly put this above some other Rare 64 titles.

It reminded me of the classic isometric helicopter shooters where you basically just blow up buildings and demolish things. I love those kinds of games haha.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:21 am

Obligatory Ogre Battle 64. My favorite game on the system.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:06 am

Xeogred wrote:Project 64 2.2, how easy is it to get Goldeneye 64 running with high resolutions and 60 FPS? I've seen some youtube videos and it looks like a blast. Low FPS is kind of why I avoid going back to the N64 with some games.

I wonder how well Bomberman 64 holds up. Never really saw anyone or magazines talk about it much, but I absolutely loved it because it was such an odd combination of an adventure format, even with boss battles, yet the gameplay was this insanely weird intricate puzzle stuff in a 3D realm with sky high difficulty. The Hero games were different and I didn't like them as much, but the first game was amazing. Worth checking out if you want something really different and unique. Amazing music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjnN_p5Clo

I beat it like a month ago. It certainly doesn't have sky high difficulty and the puzzles aren't all that intricate. Probably something you've misremembered - they might have been hard as a kid.

The game is still a lot of fun, but it feels a little basic and rough around the edges. It holds up fine, but not as well as most of the 2D Bomberman games.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:03 am

Including Rainbow Palace? lol, yeah must just be nostalgia talking then. Probably haven't played this in 15 years or something.
Return to Nintendo