Favorite N64 Lesser Known Titles

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite N64 Lesser Known Titles

Post by alienjesus »

Xeogred wrote:Including Rainbow Palace? lol, yeah must just be nostalgia talking then. Probably haven't played this in 15 years or something.

Nope, not Rainbow Place. I'm sure getting all the gold cards is quite challenging, so maybe that's what you're thinking of.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

alienjesus wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Including Rainbow Palace? lol, yeah must just be nostalgia talking then. Probably haven't played this in 15 years or something.

Nope, not Rainbow Place. I'm sure getting all the gold cards is quite challenging, so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Probably. I remember the difficulty leveling up so much for the special stages it felt like a new game.

So you didn't really beat it! :wink:

(unless again that's just nostalgia talking!)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Xeogred wrote:
alienjesus wrote:

Probably. I remember the difficulty leveling up so much for the special stages it felt like a new game.

So you didn't really beat it! :wink:

(unless again that's just nostalgia talking!)

A bad ending is still an ending :P
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Thanks all, these are awesome responses, to converse inline:
TSTR wrote:Snowboard Kids

Snowboard Kids 2 is awesome fun and a staple in my N64 lineup. It is a twist on the Mario Kart formula that is less annoying than Diddy Kong Racing.

Exhuminator wrote:Wonder Project J2

Did not realize an English Patch was released, adding it to my list

Exhuminator wrote:Rakuga Kids

Ack imported it when he use to live around the corner from me and we played the snot out of it. Awesome title, shame it never got a stateside release

Exhuminator wrote:Last Legion UX

Sadly, only emulatable to a point and laggy at that. Great title though, like a step between VO and Armor Core

Exhuminator wrote:Destruction Derby 64

Never played it, adding it to the queue. Thanks.

Exhuminator wrote:Knife Edge: Nose Gunner

One of the few games that lets you play with the Dpad and the Joystick, but I never did beat it. I honestly forgot it had multiplayer, looks like Ive got my weekend lined up

Ack wrote:Buck Bumble

He is over the moon about that game, so I have it on my list to play, but it might have to be bumped up a bit.

alienjesus wrote:Chameleon Twist

Know that this is only a two hour game, that makes it perfect for a single evening of gameplay. Awesome.

alienjesus wrote:Mischief Makers

I never got into it. I love most of Treasures lineup, but this one never clicked with me. I played it back in the day and recently, and still cant figure out why it doesnt work for me.

alienjesus wrote:Turok Rage Wars

Frag Tag, Bottle Neck, go
Its like Quake 3, slowed down with insane weapons. Sadly my cart is the black one, not the grey one with the fixed bug.

alienjesus wrote:Wetrix

I am not smart enough to play Wetrix

Exhuminator wrote:Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers.

Honestly, until recently I thought that it was just a fancy remake, not a sequel. Now I am going to have to work my way through it. The "MacVenture"/Infinite Ventures games are just so well made they are hard for an adventure game fan to not be interested in them.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Dezaemon 3D
Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2 - Oni Shuurai! Shiren Jou!
Getter Love!!

No translations that I can find, am I missing something?
The Shiren title has been interesting to me for a long time, but I thought there was not enough of a fanbase to get it translated.

mjmjr25 wrote:Rakuga Kids looks cool and a bit like Waku Waku 7 - but the input is delayed - it's fun to mess around with, but competitive fighting it is not.

Did you play the Japanese or the EU version? The Eu version is pal so it will have a delay no matter what. In playing both the Japanese version had no noticeable delay to me.

mjmjr25 wrote:Charlie Blast's Territory

A well done singleplayer, I think it is better than Bombing Islands, but multiplayer is insane. Have you tried it? Its bomberman sokoban.

mjmjr25 wrote:Lode Runner 3D

I have a love hate relationship with the Lode Runner Series. Lode Runner 3d is like Pitfall 3d, well made, enjoyable, punishingly hard in some places. Shame people do not know about this one.

mjmjr25 wrote:Iggy's Reckin Balls

Never played it, adding it ot the list

Blu wrote:Road Rash 64

Bought it on launch, is an awesome game. My only complaint is that they wont let you use any bikes on any track. I always wanted to use the vespas on a real race... But deathmatch in the sewer and trying to do drive on the roof will always be one of my favorite parts of that game.

Blu wrote:Beetle Adventure Racing

Never played it, adding it to the list

Markies wrote:Bomberman Hero

I never gave it a fair shake since it was so different than what I was expecting. I am adding it to my list

Markies wrote:Bust A Move 2 & Bust A Move 99

Honestly, if I am going to play a Bust a Move, I will go to the Neogeo. Is there any reason to play the N64 versions over the arcade originals or Bustamove Wii?

Markies wrote:Magical Tetris Challenge

A few years ago I went through a heavy Tetris variant phase - thats where I found Battle Gaiden. It never worked well in an emulator and I have never seen a cart in the wild. But based on your recommendation it is going high on the priority list.

Markies wrote:Mickey's Speedway USA

This is how you make a Mario Kart Clone. It is what Diddy Kong Racing should have been. If you did not know, it is now possible for programmers to make new tracks for it through Subdrags Goldeneye editor.

Markies wrote:The New Tetris

Loved the introduction of the monosquare system, really turned gameplay on its ear, but Tetris Worlds added it in with gameplay types, making New Tetris less important to me. Am I missing something here?

Xeogred wrote:Project 64 2.2, how easy is it to get Goldeneye 64 running with high resolutions and 60 FPS? I've seen some youtube videos and it looks like a blast. Low FPS is kind of why I avoid going back to the N64 with some games.

You want 1964-60FPS-Edition. It will run Goldeneye at 60fps, with mouse and keyboard support if you play with the injectors.

You can get it here:
https://archive.org/details/1964-60FPS-Edition

Xeogred wrote:Bomberman 64

Bomberman 64 is soso, Bomberman 64 Second Attack is excellent. Sadly they will never be remembered as well as the base Bomberman games because you have a Z level to account for. But in the N64 days, this was the way for the game to go. I really enjoy the series, but most people have no idea they exist. Sadly Bomberman Act Zero might have killed the series from going in a direction like this ever again.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Blast Corps

Loaded it up for the first time since it came out last week, beat most of it in one sitting. Like you said, destruction at its finest. I LOVE the robot suit. I really wish I had got this game back in the day, I would have gold medal all of them several times. "You're just trying to impress me!"

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Duke Nukem 64

Have it, never really got into it. By the time I got it, I was passed the age where penis jokes were fall on the floor funny. I played through the Atomic Edition last year, are the differences stark enough to warrant a playthrough on the console?

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Tetris 64

Giga Tetris is boss, sadly I will never get to try Bio Tetris.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Tetrisphere

Tetrisphere is like Wetris, my mind just cant work around how to play this.

Gunstar Green wrote:Winback

Loved it. It was Metal Gear Solid but with enough of an action bent for me. I sadly never beat the N64 version, I beat the PS2 one. I need to go back and beat the N64 one since it has a couple major map changes. Funny enough, inspired by MGS but was cited as an inspiration for MGS2's cover system.

Jmustang1968 wrote:Ogre Battle 64

When I worked at Software Etc, we had eight sealed copies that the store would sell me for $20 a pop. I passed on them foolishly. It is my favorite traditional Ogre Battle, but man alive that game gets hard quick.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Multi-quote tournament over. Fastbilly1 is your champion; all hail!

==========================

Ohhh...I was playing the PAL version of Rakuga on a PAL 64 (which actually will work with a US PSU). So, this is interesting and i'll probaby get a JP copy now that I know...

Why will you never play the Bio Sensor JP version of Tetris? Like...you physically can't? Or, it's more the cost prohibitiveness of it?
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

mjmjr25 wrote:Multi-quote tournament over. Fastbilly1 is your champion; all hail!

==========================

Ohhh...I was playing the PAL version of Rakuga on a PAL 64 (which actually will work with a US PSU). So, this is interesting and i'll probaby get a JP copy now that I know...

Why will you never play the Bio Sensor JP version of Tetris? Like...you physically can't? Or, it's more the cost prohibitiveness of it?

LOL, no kidding. The tournament hadn't even started and now its over.

I'd like to throw Robotron 64 out there. I love this game so much. It's an excellent jump right in and play arcade style game.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

mjmjr25 wrote:Why will you never play the Bio Sensor JP version of Tetris? Like...you physically can't? Or, it's more the cost prohibitiveness of it?

I didnt know I didnt have a pulse...yeah, it is expensive. Tetris is $30ish shipped (cart only), but the bio sensor is typically $50+. And since it is only used in one game, I do not really see a reason to drop $80+ on a one time gimmick.

8bit wrote:Robotron 64

An excellent choice. Great take on the classic formula (I like it more than the original actually), and best of all multiplayer is intense.
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Post by Soldier Blue »

If you are into the Nintendo 64 you should really check out Glenn Plant's reviews on youtube. He reviews a game once a week. I always look forward to watching and get a little excited every time I see he put up a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/glennplant/videos
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

The duke nukem 64 game is only worth it for the local play. If you don't have folks to play with, you can skip it, but if there are people involved, coop and death match are a blast. Plus death match has competent bots which help.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Add my name to the list of people endorsing Beetle Adventure Racing. It's a really fun and surprisingly deep racing title. Instead of "Slug Bug" I generally shout out Adventuuuuuure Raaaacing! when I see a Beetle out on the road. It's kind of my version of "RIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAACER" ... Turns out I'm an odd sort of person.

Another racing game I really enjoy for the system is Roadster's Trophy. I had been under the impression for quite a while that this was an N64 exclusive title, but that is not the case. Be that as it may, I would feel confident calling this game a hidden gem on most systems that it appeared on (although I've only played it on N64). The characters are more annoying than Urkel on Mountain Dew though. Might be best to dial down the volume on this one.

Also I haven't seen it mentioned, but I really enjoy Body Harvest as well. It has a really great aliens invade Earth thing going on, and I like the freedom it grants you in terms of strategy and game play choices.