Favorite N64 Lesser Known Titles

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite N64 Lesser Known Titles

Post by o.pwuaioc »

The problem with Robotron 64 is that it's just too easy. Fun briefly, but there's no real reason to pick it over classic Robotron 2084.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

o.pwuaioc wrote:classic Robotron 2084.

This game is the single reason that I bought my Atari 7800. I have a couple other 7800 games, but I bought the console solely to play Robotron 2084.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I'm not sure if it qualifies, but I always adored Jet Force Gemini for some reason. The theme and atmosphere really captured me back in the day. I haven't played it recently enough to know if I would still enjoy it, but I played the hell out of it as a kid.

Its been mentioned already, but Bomberman Hero is another one that I have an unusual amount of love for. Every little sound and song just resonates with me. Objectively not the greatest platformer, but it just hits all the right notes for me (Still stood the test of time when replaying it last year too).
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I'm not sure if it qualifies, but I always adored Jet Force Gemini for some reason. The theme and atmosphere really captured me back in the day. I haven't played it recently enough to know if I would still enjoy it, but I played the hell out of it as a kid.

I've had that on my shelf for a few years, but I've never gotten around to playing it. I might need to do that soon.

Brendand
8-bit

Post by Brendand »

There is also HSV Adventure Racing basically Beetle Adventure Racing its Pal Aus exclusive but I have both versions so different cars
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:I'm not sure if it qualifies, but I always adored Jet Force Gemini for some reason. The theme and atmosphere really captured me back in the day. I haven't played it recently enough to know if I would still enjoy it, but I played the hell out of it as a kid.

I've had that on my shelf for a few years, but I've never gotten around to playing it. I might need to do that soon.

Really need to crack out Rare Replay and go through some of those games :P.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I loved Jet Force Gemini back in the day. I played the hell out of it and got really far into it, but I never completed it. Back then, it surprised me that it seemed to be one of the lesser known and liked Rare titles on the N64. I thought it was an awesome sci fi shooter/platformer.

Looking back though, I can imagine if I played it again today, it probably isn't as good as I remember it being. I think it's supposed to be brutally hard - to the point of being unfair/impossible in places.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Brendand wrote:There is also HSV Adventure Racing basically Beetle Adventure Racing its Pal Aus exclusive but I have both versions so different cars

I had not realized HSV Adventure Racing was so expensive...eBay right now has it cheapest for $60....damn.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Reprise wrote:I loved Jet Force Gemini back in the day. I played the hell out of it and got really far into it, but I never completed it. Back then, it surprised me that it seemed to be one of the lesser known and liked Rare titles on the N64. I thought it was an awesome sci fi shooter/platformer.

Looking back though, I can imagine if I played it again today, it probably isn't as good as I remember it being. I think it's supposed to be brutally hard - to the point of being unfair/impossible in places.

Ehhh, it's not really too unfair once you get a good set of tactics. But it definitely isn't as good as you remember. The control is always a bit awkward; you have to keep switching between aimed mode and non-aimed mode depending on what's going on. And the handling in aimed mode has a really crazy deadzone, so it makes the sniper rifle really hard to use.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

MrPopo wrote:Ehhh, it's not really too unfair once you get a good set of tactics. But it definitely isn't as good as you remember. The control is always a bit awkward; you have to keep switching between aimed mode and non-aimed mode depending on what's going on. And the handling in aimed mode has a really crazy deadzone, so it makes the sniper rifle really hard to use.

Yeah, to be fair, I don't remember it being really hard or unfair, but I just remember hearing or reading some people criticising it as being so. I literally haven't played it since the early 2000s though, so I don't really remember much about it. I do vaguely remember those awkward controls though.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328