Favorite N64 Lesser Known Titles

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
MrPopo

Re: Favorite N64 Lesser Known Titles

Post by MrPopo »

I don't know if I can recommend it, but a lesser known game is Hybrid Heaven.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well I fairly recently got back into using the N64 a bit when I learned my current LED can play the stuff accurately as the N64 intended which isn't common on a modern TV. I'm not reading other posts so there could be overlap here.

While thanks to the DC game it's not like it's unknown, but Bakaretsu Muteki Bagaioh on N64 got a limited release of 10000 copies and it's a fantastic game. I've owned both but the N64 one I feel plays better and with the less busy background helps one focus better.

I know it's not on everyones radar, often I have seen over the last 15 years people think it's a PC port but it's not -- DOOM 64 is a must play. It's not easy, entirely new stages and story to the game, even has a super weapon to piece together with a final boss to use it on as they intended in the DOOM Bible that never made it to the PC.

Bomberman Hero, the anti-bomberman as it's not your grid blaster, it's a 3D adventure and it's very fun, he even converts into other forms too for some stages which is cool.

Fighting Force 64, a 3D Final Fight wannabe basically, pretty well made, good enough variety of stage locations, characters, and weapons to pick up in the environment and not quite a push over either.

If you like 3D space shooters either the Japanese import of Dezaemon which is a make your own shooter game but also had 3 good premade titles in it is a solid choice, but also we did get Star Soldier which is just fantastic and it has a few modes to it as well.

And if you're into a 3rd person type game with lots of run and gun, Body Harvest may work, it's like a N64 version of a cheezy 50s B-grade alien/large bugs attack humanity type story rolled into a game.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

nullPointer wrote:Roadster's Trophy

I honestly have never heard of this one. This is the top of the list now.

nullPointer wrote:Body Harvest

Great concept, impeded by the consoles power. It was Timesplitters meets GTA (funny enough it was the proof of concept for making GTA in 3d). And those boss fights can be super unfair.

MrPopo wrote:Hybrid Heaven

Brilliant combat system that is so wasted it is not even funny, I never finished it though.

Tanooki wrote:Bakaretsu Muteki Bagaioh

Owned it a few times, but DC version plays better for me since I do not have to upgrade my shots. But we have a robot on the dead scene not the weird KKK looking ghost.

Tanooki wrote:Fighting Force 64

It is a really neat title, like a step between Final Fight and Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade

Tanooki wrote:Star Soldier

It never clicked with me. It has always felt like the weakest Star Soldier. What drew you to it?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

fastbilly1 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Hybrid Heaven

Brilliant combat system that is so wasted it is not even funny, I never finished it though.

Yup, those were my thoughts exactly. The lack of real choice on your defensive options definitely didn't help things. I won't tell you that you should finish it, because the game never gets "better" (although it is fun to learn the full combos that give you a bonus move at the end and utterly trash your opponent). But quitting does mean admitting you aren't a bad enough dude to save the president from aliens.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

I always liked Penny Racers. It has a decent learning curve, and also has a cool customization system for your cars.

Later in the game, the AI can be straight up dickish.
Also, +1 for RR 64.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

fastbilly1 wrote:
Tanooki wrote:Star Soldier

It never clicked with me. It has always felt like the weakest Star Soldier. What drew you to it?

It's fine if you absolutely need a shoot 'em up on the N64 but yeah, next to the rest of the series it certainly wouldn't be my first recommendation.

fastbilly1 wrote:

It is a really neat title, like a step between Final Fight and Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade

Fun fact: It's made from the leftovers of what was originally meant to be Streets of Rage 4 before Sega backed out.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Gunstar Green wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:

Fun fact: It's made from the leftovers of what was originally meant to be Streets of Rage 4 before Sega backed out.

I did not know that. That is actually pretty awesome.

foxhound1022 wrote:Penny Racers

The ChoroQ games are always a fun time if you can grasp the mechanics. Its been years since I ran the N64 title though.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well fastbilly honestly I can't be certain. I've had experience with the series with the NES game and then the TG16 HuCards too when I had a Duo in the later 90s early 00s. I felt it was a pretty strong game on its own, a bit different than Star Soldier but still good. Sure it's a loner basically if you consider the non-shooter library on N64 but I never took it that way as I used the 64 along side the HuCards at the same time. I thought it had a nice flow, good visuals and effects in the background, nice bonuses, good audio, and a decent variety for a shooter. I wouldn't put it in my top 5 or 10 of all time but it's well up there still and I like to replay it.

Now Fighting Force 64, that was a good point raised there I had totally forgot for years, but yes he's right tidbits of it was to be Streets of Rage 4 which now looking back upon playing it weeks ago last feels a LOT like Streets of Rage. The same general breakables, weapons, character variety, odd screwball bosses, and the rest. It's a really solid game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That's interesting about Fighting Force and Streets of Rage.

Any differences between Fighting Force PSX and 64?

It's a shame the second game tried to be more Syphon Filter or something and had a lot more guns. The first game was awesome.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

My understanding is that on the N64 they limited the lives and tweaked the graphics, but core gameplay is unchanged.