Other than the size is the 3DS XL better than the OG?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
SpaceBooger

Other than the size is the 3DS XL better than the OG?

Post by SpaceBooger »

Other than the screen size is the 3DS XL better than the original 3DS?
I know the battery life is different, but I have a DSI XL and while I like the larger screen vs the DS's smaller one, I am not a fan of the pixel stretching.

I guess, I am just trying to figure out if the extra $ is worth the XL vs the original?

Please chime in, I am ready to upgrade from my DSi to a 3DS without paying full price for the NEW 3DS.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Other than the size is the 3DS XL better than the OG?

Post by emwearz »

For me I find my hand gets less cramped using the XL's D-Pad, but they are poorly placed on both.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Nah, it's just bigger.

DS games look better on it because you can play them in original resolution at reasonable size, but as you have a DSiXL thats probably no big deal.

I much prefer the XL, but if you don't like the bigger pixels it won't do much for you I guess.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Not worth it at all. If you went to the New3DS yes it would be because the improvements to the 3D capabilities, the boosted system speed, and various other perks make the price worth it (especially if you sell an older model to cut the costs.)
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

The design and build quality of the 3DS XL is better that the OG, no doubt.

With the XL, you are less likely to get scratching on the upper screens through normal use (a design flaw in the OG) and both the buttons/hinges seems to last better. You do sacrifice portability, but if the difference in cost isn't significant then I would recommend the XL over the base model.

I actually think the improvements with New 3DS systems (especially the improved 3D) are impressive - but not enough to justify the cost increase. If budget isn't an issue for you then you should at least give it some consideration, as they appear to be the best version of the handheld available.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I'll go in a different direction and suggest a 2DS.

There is a price drop effective on the 30th that will drop it to a cool $99 USD, comes with Mario Kart 7 and isn't bothered with borderline useless 3D effects. With the price drop you can expect the sales to hover around $70 to $80 USD mark.

Yeah, it can't play a couple of newer titles. Yeah, it isn't a foldable model. Yeah, it has a mono speaker. But after all those compromises, for the small entry fee, it's still worth it.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

I like that XL has start/select/home look and feel discrete.
Of course 8 inch hands (fingertip to wrist joint) doesn't give me many options to stay comfortable.
Lum fan.