NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo Handheld Gaming Thread (Game Boy to DS)

by ExedExes Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:10 am

I've got Pinball Challenge Deluxe from a UK seller on eBay, complete. I'm a huge fan of the DICE/Spidersoft pinball series and to have two of the packages in one place was nice.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Good man! I learned of that one way back when it first came out, when I realized it was doomed by those losers at UbiSoft to be EU/UK only I imported it online (as I had done a few times before such as Vol1-4 Konami GB Collection.) I've loved those 2 sets of tables since early in high school as someone warez'd a copy and threw it on the high school PCs. It showed me that the PC speaker didn't have to be an ear bleeding awful piece of tech as those MODs were smooooooooth. :)

True story, in trying to figure where to get that from I actually contacted the developer and they were pretty open/honest about the game. They were both happy an infuriated about it. True fact, they designed it with battery saving of all high scores. The style they setup would have cost .50 cents a game for the style of chip/battery needed and Ubisoft reneged on their promise and shipped it bare. They wanted blood over it, told me I could buy it but encouraged me to download it and use an emulator or get a flash kit so it worked right. Both shocked me and gave me a laugh that day that email arrived back.

Other one that I actually just found in the last 4 years roughly. I found it on ebay, no one would bid on it, and it came from some self owned small owner car lot owner. He played it around customers popping in on break and got tired of it so it just came up from TN overnight due to the short distance. Got it complete in the box, and it's really fantastic a must own if you're into those DICE, Encore, Epic, Spidersoft pinball titles as it's a direct conversion. It has Tarantula, Daredevil (in the video I linked), and a couple others. It's VERY customizable more than the PBCD cartridge is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CQlkBW_ltI
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:24 am

Yeah, Pinball Challenge Advance is great, it's unfortunate they couldn't do Pinball Dreams 2 as well, but the first Dreams and Fantasies are the two best DICE sets so it was great to have them on one cartridge. I know they were big in Europe but probably not so well received here, but GameTek did bring both of them to the SNES. I've got the Pinball Gold Pack from GOG for the rest (Dreams 2 & Illusions).

That must have been cool to speak to BinaryNine, and it would have been great if they threw some sort of save system on there for the scores, but I wouldn't put it past Ubi to cut that out, either.

So this Pinball Advance is also EU only? Too bad because it looks good, and it was developed by Rebellion, the current distributor of the DICE pinball games. That will be my next game to find. I read about Challenge Advance on HG101 and tried for years to find a copy and then it finally worked out on eBay. It was also an auction with no bidders but me, and I got it for the equivalent of $25 USD shipped, which honestly wasn't bad for an import. I'll be looking for this Pinball Advance now too.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:08 am

I guess I caught one of the coders or managers in a bad or vindictive mood that day because they laid blame on Ubisoft for removing the battery. The game itself, and I tested it, using a flash kit (or emulator) will save your scores on Pinball Challenge Deluxe which just sucks.

I have that GoG set too. You also forgot they got horrid releases on the Gameboy as well, and Game Gear got one of them colorized which somehow made it more awful too. It went everywhere. I just had some oldwarez DOS copies back in the 90s, but since got the GBA release, when I had access the PS Minis, and then the GoG super gold bundle you mentioned. DICE/Spider I'd put in the top 3 of digital pinball fantasy tables for computer along with Empire (Pro Pinball series), and Epic which did some amazing work in the earlier 90s too (Silverball package, Epic Pinball, etc.) The Epic stuff and some of DICE/Spider are badly dated now but not all of them as the designs are on the nose which is why they keep getting re-released much like the Pro Pinball (Empire) series.

Shame is I haven't made time really for Gameboy all year so far. I've been stuck into the other handheld (Switch) and the Wii lately. Hard to make time for so much.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:24 pm

I got the full Epic collection on CD from Amazon, it has the 3 packs plus a CD-exclusive 13th table. I know Empire's stuff is good too.

I played Fantasies on GB, not too good of a port.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 am

New Nintendo 2ds XL:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:25 am

fastbilly1 wrote:New Nintendo 2ds XL:

I have a question... where are the speakers on this thing?

I mean normally the 3DS XL speaker holes are visible like so:

Also I wonder where the volume slider is for the New 2DS XL? Maybe they got cheap and you have to adjust the volume in the OS.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:40 am

Volume slider is on the left and it's an actual slider. There are images online that show that. It's in the color of the accent. Speakers, if I had to guess, is the two slits at the bottom corners on the side.

The screen design itself looks very iPhone like.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:58 am

Pretty sure the speakers are those two little holes in the bottom corners on the edges of the bottom half of the console. They aren't there in any other 3DS model.

No idea about the volume slider though.
marurun

by marurun Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:16 am

Arstechnica has lots of pictures (probably Nintendo provided). As Casterofdreams noted, there is a physical volume slider on the left of the system.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Nintendo