Nintendo Handheld Gaming Thread (Game Boy to DS)

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Re: Nintendo Handheld Gaming Thread (Game Boy to DS)

Post by Juan Aguacate »

Exhuminator wrote:Drill Dozer is the GBA killer app.

It's a brilliant game, though some parts are frustrating, like that awkward flying level.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

samsonlonghair wrote:
darsparx wrote:With consumers and devs they just can't win ha ha. Still wish there was a way to attach a adapter of some sort and do gb/c/a on the thing too. That would be awesome. I'd love to have a all in one thing without hacking/flash carts....

Any kind of adapter would just be using emulation, hacking, or flash carts anyway. The 3DS simply does not contain Gameboy hardware.

But hey, you've got the eShop for gameboy games, game gear games too.

Best option, recently released GBA Everdrive. It supports emulators such as Goomba Color (GB+GBC) and other gems like PCE Advance (TG+CD), PocketNES, Cologne (Coleco), SMS Advance (SMS+GG), and some others. I want one, but can't cash in on the sale this weekend on krikzz site since the doof won't take paypal and I don't have it in my account (and by the time I'd get it PP transferred, sale would be over.)

I really need to get Dragonball advanced adventure back again, had it years ago when it was new a very very good game sadly in the margin of the few GBA games shills jacked the price up on (not anything ninja five-o bad but still blows.)

Juan if you got around $120 lying around, get a modded original GBA with the 101 screen. You get the DSLite quality LCD, the comfort of a controller, and not bound to crappy OEM batteries from China (off the rack AA all the way.) And given how the slot is positioned, the only GBA that'll properly handle those special carts the pre-GBA had like Kirby Tilt n Tumble on GBC. But if not, the GB Player is very much so the best. It looks awesome even blown up, lacks the distortion of the Retron 5 doing the same. I do agree though I've always called the GBA the SNES 2 or the bastard child of a SNES and a Saturn's naughty night. It has the qualities of both (especially like Saturn how both aren't 3D boxes yet render polygons the same basically and push notably more sprites too along with the rotation and scaling of them SNES didn't do.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Juan Aguacate wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:Drill Dozer is the GBA killer app.

It's a brilliant game, though some parts are frustrating, like that awkward flying level.

I agree it's not perfect, but outside the really well known mainstream GBA classics, Drill Dozer is the quintessential hidden gem for the system.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Yggdra Union came in the mail today. I owned it years ago but got rid of it like an idiot. Anyway, along with Riviera I have my two Dept. Heaven games.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

For interesting information about Game Boy releases, I'd suggest checking out the Game Boy World series on YouTube. Hosted by Retronauts' Jeremy Parish, he takes a look at every single American and Japanese release for about 10 minutes each, and the site at gameboyworld.com has box, cartridge, and manual scans. There's a lot of stuff that came out early on that I never even heard of (as well as a certain RPG series one RB member is quite fond of).
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Revo K101+
I saw a youtube video about a new GBA clone. The reviewer treats this clone well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-lRb7Dk-s
I think it looks neat.

This video on the other hand, treats the same clone poorly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uejMN3sixHc
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I crushed it on Wario Ware Inc.'s Orbulon stage today.

Consider that I got 84 just the other day and for the longest time I couldn't get past 70.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The Game Boy also had Dragon Slayer Gaiden!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

As far as the Dragon Slayer series goes, I was only familiar with Legacy of The Wizard, but this game looks really tedious, but I understand because it was a originally a NEC PC game. He made a good point comparing it to Tower of Druaga! I guess you've played this game before?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Anyone know much about 3D Ultra Pinball Thrillride for GBC? I've never really seen it out in the wild before, shows up in very low numbers on ebay and that's loose. I found it today CIB for $16 so I snapped it up. I only got a partial game in on it so far but it's actually probably the most fun GBC pinball game I've touched outside of Pokemon Pinball, though I hear the Little Mermaid one is solid (my kid has it, I've not tried it.)