NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Nintendo Handheld Gaming Thread (Game Boy to DS)

by ExedExes Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:30 pm

I've been finding myself rediscovering the offerings in Nintendo's portable realm after focusing more on consoles and the PC for many years. I started collecting for GBA in 2012, and I just got a DS Lite and starting to check out the games there.

I've been taking my thoughts and feelings with Nintendo handheld games all throughout RB over numerous threads, and I feel the forum needs a catch-all place to discuss Nintendo's portable systems. Think of it as another "How is your gaming going?" thread. Post your finds, discuss games you're currently playing and anything having to do with the following -

Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
DS
even Game & Watch!

NOTE: The 3DS has its own thread here, so please continue 3DS discussions there.

I hope this will be a good place to discuss about all Nintendo has to offer in the portable world. I am also open to ideas for new games on any of these handhelds, especially the GBA and DS.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo Handheld Gaming Thread (Game Boy to DS)

by Exhuminator Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:02 am

I've been into Nintendo's handhelds since the first Game Boy that I owned in 1989. Overall the DS Lite is my all time favorite handheld gaming system by that company so far. I have owned all kinds of other handhelds, and I even own a 3DS XL, 2DS, and an OLED Vita... yet still I prefer the DS Lite overall. It's just portable gaming bliss.

So what have you picked up for DS so far Exed? And what do you plan to pick up? What are you currently playing on the system?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:45 am

That would be a good way to start, right? Here's what I got for the DS so far.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin: I loved the first Advance Wars on the GBA and I saw this for a good price. I understand this is a deviation from the series but still maintains the great gameplay that AW is famous for. I also see the other game (Dual Strike) is a bit more expensive.

Brain Age 1 & 2: The day I decided on a DS I knew I'd be getting these games. I thought the concept was really neat and I've been playing both of these everyday to unlock everything I can. I like writing on the touch screen and even using the microphone which picks up everything well.

Clubhouse Games: I've got Ultimate Card Games & Ultimate Board Games on the GBA (I know there are also DS versions of these games), so this was a no brainer, and there's a lot more than just these types of games here. Really fun so far.

Feel the Magic: XY/XX: I saw a lot about this game and just how silly & offbeat it is. That's a game that will be perfect for me. By Sega, so it should be good.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game: This game came with the DS Lite. I haven't played too much of it, but I hear it's got some crazy controls, namely trying to drive with the D-pad and use the stylus at the same time.

Nervous Brickdown: Picked this up complete last week for a killer price. This was a totally blind buy. I just saw "breakout" on the back and I knew I'd like it. That's a hidden gem if I ever saw one. Many different variations on the classic format.

Point Blank DS: Point Blank! On the DS! No brainer purchase here. I loved the arcade light gun series and I'm really good at it. This version captures the experience perfectly, using over 40 stages from all 3 games in the series. The stylus is spot on accurate and is a very suitable light gun replacement.

TouchMaster: Based on Midway's long running arcade touch screen series. Over 20 games from various editions are here. Card games, puzzle games, word games and much more. A perfect port and perfect for the DS.

Trauma Center: Under The Knife: I've heard good things about this game and the series in general. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I got it at a good price.

I have one more game on the way, Ultimate Mortal Kombat, just in time for next month's Together Retro. It's a port of Mortal Kombat 3, and what I liked about it was the movelist that stays on the bottom screen and that will be helpful.

I've got 11 games for now and I want to check these all out before moving on. I got your list of games from the other thread and will be checking all of those out. I had no idea there were over 2000 games.

As far as the GBA goes, I'm almost finished with Konami Krazy Racers. It was a launch title and I don't hear a lot about it, despite it being a very good Mario Kart knockoff. Characters from all sorts of classic Konami series, tracks based on games (Castlevania!) and special license challenges. The DS Lite is great to play GBA on, stereo sound, screen just as bright as the AGS-101, and much more comfortable controls.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:02 pm

I'll just tell you some things I know:

>I also see the other game (Dual Strike) is a bit more expensive.
It's because that one is considered a sequel to the first two on GBA. So it holds some prestige. Days of Ruin takes place in its own unique setting and has an independent plot.

>Feel the Magic: XY/XX
Just in case you did not know, that game has a sequel:
http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/2/4/2/70242_front.jpg

>Trauma Center: Under The Knife
I loved this game and beat it on the DS myself (there's a Wii remake). The last stage is infamous for its difficulty, good luck. I haven't played the DS sequel yet however.

>Ultimate Mortal Kombat
Haven't tried that on DS, but this is the best DS fighter I've played personally:
http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/7/2/6/82726_front.jpg

>I had no idea there were over 2000 games.
Indeed, this system's library is immense!

>I'm almost finished with Konami Krazy Racers
I beat that one on my DS as well (using a GBA ROM loader). If you enjoy kart racers do not pass up Mario Kart DS. I know that's an obvious choice, but it's a phenomenal kart racer. My favorite in the franchise actually.

As far as stylus as a light gun games go, you might enjoy this:

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/0/7/4/84074_front.jpg

Are you into adventure games or RPGs at all?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:07 pm

You seriously have only scratched the surface of the DS(not saying much for my collection either though I do have 72 games for it not including ones I need the cart for that I have the case already)...that system is unreal with how many games it has that are worth playing. There's even the wario ware titles, and SM64DS is worth a play too. Heck though if you're on gba and ds the Megaman battle network games are a lot of fun, and golden sun is also a great series too. Too bad after Golden Sun that there hasn't been another rpg quite like it from camelot. Heck though if you're a zelda fan Minish cap and the ds titles are great(I'm not a big fan of the windwaker style graphics but they're fun none the less). I saw that advance wars the other day and passed on it, kinda regretting it now but funds were short :-\ Though if you see a copy of Ghost Trick phantom detective around ~10-15 pick it up, that game is worth it. There was a phone version of the game when it came out but I feel that the ds version is so much better(and the iOS version at least is broken on newer phones, not to mention it's obvious capcom won't be updating it to work on newer devices...)
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:38 pm

darsparx wrote:There's even the wario ware titles, and SM64DS is worth a play too.

Good suggestions there. I've heard good things about SM64 on the DS.
I also hope to get Warioware Touched ASAP. Mega Microgames and Twisted! on the GBA are absolute perfection. Is D.I.Y. considered a game or is it just a microgame builder?
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:05 am

DIY from what I recall is a standalone title but does have some extra functionality with the wiiware title(where games you make in it should be able transfer and be used in both). I just hope the whole downloading and everything wasn't affected when they shuttered the whole online service for the system....
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:40 am

What you just said was a question I wanted to raise here in this very thread. I'm aware that the Nintendo Wi Fi Connection service was shuttered in May 2014. A lot of my games have this connectivity, even TouchMaster, which would have been really fun. The only problem I saw was that it only supported networks with WEP encryption, which wasn't nearly as strong as WPA or WPA2.

So to those who did have it, was it really good? Were you able to get some decent games in with folks from around the world?

On a side note today, I got brain age 20 on the first Brain Age game! That is the absolute best you can do! Would that be considered a clear/beaten game?

strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:47 am

I recommend the castlevania titles for gba and ds. They are all fantastic metroidvania games. Especially the two sorrow games. The Mario and Luigi series are also fun, albeit easy, rpgs.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:27 pm

I'm surprised there's really no Gameboy (any of them) discussion going on. I know the DS is newer, technically via 3DS still alive due to the slot, but the GB was really where it was at from 1989 into the 2000s.

One thing if you really want to get into things to throw games out, try a before and after game of it. Pick a first year game, then pick one towards the end of the GB alone, GB/C hybrid, or just GBC only games. Same hardware though double clocked/double ram on GBC only games to be used, and look how far it went. Or even marvel what a year to two did for the old bird. It went from Tetris, nintendo 'sports' and other basics, to Mario Land 2, Castlevania 2, Gargoyle's Quest, Final Fantasy Adventure, and more. You would think it was almost another system due to the jump in some ways.
Return to Nintendo