DS Lite

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ivo
Next-Gen

DS Lite

Post by Ivo »

Anyone got a DS lite yet? They have been released in the U.S. recently.

Ivo.
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

Post by grittykitty »

got one the day after launch, but i have a dead pixel on the top screen :( trying to return it soon
Mega-Dan
24-bit

I got one

Post by Mega-Dan »

I got one from circuit city, with $15 dollar rebate, and free case and free rumble pack.

Must say that the new brighter screens are much, much better, though slightly smaller and wider. Also the size has been drastically reduced, it easily fits in the pocket now. Its a little bigger than GBA SP, noticiably but not as much as I feared (its no micro!)

The buttons are mushier and softer, though still clicky, I liked the clicky ds buttons, but everybody else hated them so I guess this is an improvment. However, I havent played it a whole lot so no real comment, they seem good, and are slightly larger than on the original ds. The stylus has also been improved.

However, the speakers are worse, the speakers on the original DS were amazing for a portable device, much better than the PSP or any prior portable. The DS lite speakers are good, but not the same calibur as thoese "I cant believe its portable" original DS speakers. This is dissappointing, but not a deal breaker by any means.

Another issue for people who play Gameboy advance games alot is the cartridge sticks out alot, which is a big problem for me because I play gameboy advance games most of the time (Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Metal Slug Advance, Original Wario Ware etc). Wario Ware Twisted looks terrible sticking out of this thing. You have to remove the cartridge before putting the system in your case or pocket, it doesnt seem safe to me to go walking around with that cartridge sticking out.

If you are thinking about getting a new DS lite or a cheap used old style DS, get the lite, you will be very happy. The new DS lite screen is brighter on its darkest setting than the old DS was, and it makes your games look better. Unless your really into Old GBA games and demand maximum sound, get the lite.
Wanderer - Vega
16-bit

Post by Wanderer - Vega »

My brother got one. No dead pixels to report here..got lucky.

The only complaints I have is you can't change brightness on the fly..and the new buttons, while like old school NES buttons in the sense that they 'pop out', were too close together for me and I couldn't get comfortable with it..I didn't use it very long though, so that could be why.
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Cant tell if buttons are bigger or same size

Post by Mega-Dan »

The buttons seem bigger and betteer spaced out to me than old ds, but this could be because the system is smaller...who knows. I liked the clickyness of the old buttons but the new buttons are fine, I dont get "bothered" by them like I do with the playstation or xbox controller
bawitback
64-bit

Post by bawitback »

Got mine June 11.

I'm very pleased with it. :D
Except for having 1 small dead pixel.