Actually going to try for complete licensed NES set

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Re: Actually going to try for complete licensed NES set

Post by KalessinDB »

Physically went through and audited my game list a few minutes ago. Found a couple that were on my RFGeneration page but I missed when I moved onto the spreadsheet, and found a couple that I had missed putting into my RFGeneration page at all. Count now stands at 151 with a handful en route.

Also talked to a buddy of mine who used to do ebay selling about grabbing some of his leftover inventory (he has a newborn and has already said he's willing to straight-up give me any really cheap games I want, plus sell me moderate ones at a very fair price), and he told me that the guy who runs virtualnes.com is thinking about liquidating (they're personal friends) and owns a good 90% of a set. I told him that I'd love a crack at his collection, but cannot afford to buy it all by any means. Plus the hunt's half the fun. I have no problem spending a few hundred in a swoop if I can get a really good deal, but a few thousand? That's some big tymer shit that's above my pay grade.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm not into shooting for full sets or anything myself but it's really cool hearing about how collectors are willing to help each other out. It seems like all you hear about people in the gaming community is how they're horrible assholes but so many collectors and retro gamers are awesome people.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Well, been a while since I posted anything here... just got my biggest influx of new games in a long-ass time, courtesy of beatnix. 54 new games, 2 new label variants (I don't actively collect label variants, but if I come across them I'll hang onto them as a general rule), a few new instruction books for games I already owned (since he was selling preboxed boxes so I got a few I already had), and 9.5 games that I was able to swap out for better condition on labels -- 9.5 because I had to do surgery on Videomation -- the one he sent me had a better condition back label than the one I owned (by far, mine's ripped), but mine had a better front label.

That, along with a few other purchases and gifts (:love:, you know who you are) puts me to 228 licensed, or officially over 1/3rd done. Plus I got another medium sized lot I'll be picking up next week from dsh.

I also received my new printer today, and the guy who's making NES cases approved the final design (he's sending a couple people including myself one of his samples, but he went ahead and approved it anyway) so those are 1.5-2 months away from being in my hands, so my collection's about to get a whole lot nicer displayed very soon.

Now then... anyone wanna buy some dupes? :lol:
Last edited by KalessinDB on Wed May 20, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Awesome - keep the updates coming!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Ha! Depends on what the dupes are. :)

You're sitting at about the same number of unique NES games that I have. I'm not actively collecting now, though, as it's getting harder for me to find the really good ones that I want. In other words, it's stuff like Power Blade 2, Little Samson, and DuckTales 2 that's holding me back.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Long time since I updated this at all, but I've been trying to keep my game purchasing at "no new money outlay" levels for the summer -- I sold a bunch of dupes and a few things that have never gotten any love, so I've bought a few things with the money gained there, but no new NES.

However, the "custom molded cases" that I mentioned came in on Saturday! They don't have the artwork modified to fit them perfectly yet (one of the admins at TheCoverProject has committed to making every NES game have standardized artwork to fit these, but obviously that's gonna take a little while), but I don't care too much. I'm looking at moving in the next maybe 3-6 months (maybe 6-12, we'll see) so I need to clean the house up a bit anyway.

On that note, I took this as an opportune time to clean all the gunk off of my games (because what good is a toploader with dirty games?) and toss them in the (blank) cases for now, for better moving of them. I had already cleaned the stickers and residue off of them as best as I could and removed any permanent marker to the best of my abilities a few months ago, now with the pins cleaned and them stuck in cases where they won't get dust on them I should be good for another decade or two on them. I just spent about 2.5 hours working on it while chatting with a friend (who was helping out a little as well) and finished 100 games/1 case. They all boot on the first try, every time now. Might try to do another 100 tomorrow, we'll see how I feel considering I think I developed a callous on my finger from the way I was holding the q-tips, which I basically ran out of.

Sadly, one of my slightly uncommon games (Immortal) isn't displaying video, period. No flashing (which toploaders don't do anyway), no garbled screen, no solid purple, nothing. It does however play the intro audio just fine, which is really weird to me. Only game out of the 100 to do it too. Hopefully if I take the time to open it up I can figure out how to fix it (corroded trace, etc), if not... oh well, it's an 8 dollar game not an 80 dollar one.

Stay tuned. Come Septemberish I intend to be back off the wagon and snapping up games again.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

The NES is home to so many classic games. It is hands down, the most influential system in my gaming legacy.
I have just over 100 carts myself and I could easily double it with casual wants.

A full set is quite a tall order though.

I still buy a cart here and there (thanks mostly to our B/S/T threads :wink: ), but I think I am largely done with acquiring games for it on a large scale. Games like the 1st Mega Man are just not worth paying the premiums, (especially when a re-releases, compilations, and/or emulation serves my purposes quite well).

But allow me to share the dream a moment:
Games I wish I had, due to nostalgia alone:
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom
Anticipation
Arch Rivals
Baseball Simulator 1000
Batman
Battletoads
Bayou Billy
Blaster Master
Bomberman
Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout, The
Bubble Bobble
California Games
Captain America and the Avengers
Castlevania
Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers
Conflict
Circus Caper
Dick Tracy
Double Dragon
Double Dragon II
Dragon Power
Dynowarz
Excitebike
Fire and Ice
Galaxy 5000
Gauntlet
Gauntlet II
Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart's Super Off-Road
Jurrassic Park
High Speed
Kid Kool
Kid Icarus
Kung Fu
Little Mermaid
Marble Madness
Mega Man
Mendel's Palace
Mermaids of Atlantis
Metal Storm
Micro Machines
Mighty Final Fight
Mission Impossible
Narc
Pac-Mania
Rainbow Islands
Rampage
Rampart
Roadblasters
Roger Clemens MVP Baseball
The Immortal
Tiny Toon Adventures
Tiny Toon Adventures 2
Tiny Toon Adventures Cartoon Workshop
TMNT Tournament Fighters
S.C.A.T.
Simpsons Bart vs the Space Mutants
Simpsons Bart vs the World
Spiderman Return of the Sinister Six
Spot
Section Z
Swords and Serpents
Vindicators
Willow

Those are games I actually played on NES back in the day, of which I do not already own. If I had a mind to simply collect the rest of my childhood NES experience, those are the one's I'd have to track down. Some are must haves, some hidden gems, some just odd. But I found at least some amount of enjoyment out of each of them as a kid.

Add those to the 40 or so other games I've always wanted to play or have and I'm staring at a money draining obsession that I just can't bring myself to sacrifice my disposable funds (to).

In any case,
I had to post to say Good Luck and I that wholeheartedly approve of the quest.
...just another lost soul...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

KalessinDB wrote:Sadly, one of my slightly uncommon games (Immortal) isn't displaying video, period. No flashing (which toploaders don't do anyway), no garbled screen, no solid purple, nothing. It does however play the intro audio just fine, which is really weird to me. Only game out of the 100 to do it too. Hopefully if I take the time to open it up I can figure out how to fix it (corroded trace, etc), if not... oh well, it's an 8 dollar game not an 80 dollar one.

Stay tuned. Come Septemberish I intend to be back off the wagon and snapping up games again.

You need to spend the $10 or less shipped to get a bit kit. You'll end up getting one for carts and a fatter one to unlock the systems (SNES forward use.) Then all yo need is a piece of paper towel folded over, wet with alcohol and a good thumb rubbing across the board both sides. I will rip one square into 4 strips, then fold it over a few times to make it firm and it works. If that Immortal is corroded, I know some collector nuts will howl, but use magic eraser wet with alcohol, then wipe clean with paper towel after to get the white powder off. It's better to file some fine grain horizontal lines across it than have it dead. I've filed away green gunk and rust doing that before and recovered a mistreated game or two with it.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Yeah, that's gonna be Round Two for Immortal and any games that act similarly (I think my original Duck Tales was doing something similar IIRC... fortunately not my Duck Tales 2 though) once I finish the easy-peasy qtip cleaning round. I already have the screwdriver bits. Was just trying to do the "quick" version first because I knew it would help 95% of what I had. Thanks for the suggestion though.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

Take a look at my FS Thread (see my sig below). I've got a small lot of commons available. Let me know if you need any of those and I'd be glad to contribute to your cause for well below list prices.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |