Amiibo!!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
mjmjr25

Re: Amiibo!!

Post by mjmjr25 »

Cronozilla wrote:]Namely, Skylanders seems like a scam and amiibo don't. Skylanders are split into elemental classes and they are required to play one game, with minimal support in annual updates. Amiibo are compatible across a platform and there's no such thing as "generations". They've been pretty explicit that any mario amiibo will behave as mario amiibo. That is not what Skylanders does. And it would make a lot of sense if that's the reason why Nintendo said no to its exclusivity on Wii.

I don't know what you mean by most of this. The bits I can comprehend aren't accurate.

Existing skylanders are useable in future games. A generation 1 trigger happy can be used in 4 games now and that number will grow. They are also cross platform compatible. I'm not knocking Amiibo, but that can't be said about them.

If it were a "scam" - they wouldn't have made them compatible with subsequent games. The new game will remember their rank and stats. If I put a Terrafin on a portal while playing Giants, any stats i've accrued on that system and game w/Terrafin show up. If I put in Swap Team and put Terrafin on the portal, any stats i've accrued on that game / system show up. It doesn't save to the skylander, but it does save to the console.

You can beat any game with the base set (the first 3 anyways, I haven't played Trap Team yet) but to 100% it you do need extra characters - this is no different than current gen games that make you buy DLC to beat a game 100%...well, actually it is different, you get a cool card and a toy for your money instead of just digital code.

Lastly, a base skylander is 2/3 the price of a base amiibo.

Again, i'll probably get some amiibo and enjoy them - but the comments degrading skylanders are misplaced and not accurate.
girlracer
Next-Gen

Post by girlracer »

For the 1st wave I got; Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi, Kirby, Peach and have Luigi, Zelda, Bowser, Sonic, Megaman, and Toon Link on pre-order.

I know some people are say certain ones will be rare, but I don't think I have interest in having the whole set (to each their own).

I have a few skylanders, nothing rare, just a couple that I like the look of.

I do have them setup with all my current gen consoles.
Attachments
desk.jpg
desk.jpg (79.27 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

mjmjr25, Alright.

I wasn't saying some of things you claim I was, but I suppose a lot of the information I've read about Skylanders is incorrect then. I apologize for the inaccuracies and confusion.

I'm not looking to smack anything down, so I do apologize for the terminology I used.
But, I do see some fundamental differences between how Skylanders function and how Amiibo function now and how Nintendo has claimed they will function in the future. That's mostly what I was getting at.

From the various "Skylanders so far" articles I've read, I've gotten the clear distinction that, even though you buy the starter pack, you can't actually play a significant portion of the game. I suppose that kind of idea bothers me, it'd be like if Nintendo required an amiibo for Samus' abilities, kind of thing.

If that's completely wrong, then I'd be interested in it, but from what I can tell, it might not be that pronounced, but it's still there. I don't think equating it to DLC really helps the case in that respect. From what I've seen, the amiibo standard appears to be different from something like that.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

My lady friend got me Samus since I kept trying and failing to find Marth. Finally just ordered it on target's site and picked it up in store. Would like to get Mac and maybe Mega Man in the future. I see the next batch is Dec 14th, is that the day they'll be in stores? I'm going by Amazon
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I picked up Link and Pikachu recently. I love the way they look. The game benefits are nice and all, but I'll be honest that the reason I like them is mainly because they're smash bros trophies in real life.
Flake

Post by Flake »

So far my favorite use for them is to mine daily prizes out of Hyrule Warriors. The extra rupees are nice but the random lvl2 and lvl3 weapons are the best.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

My wife wanted these, so we have about 7 now. Mario, Peach, Marth, Samus, Link, DK, and Yoshi. The Marth was more for me.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Like irixith said, I do not currently see a reason to own them other than shelf sitters. They are just bots and unlocks right now. As someone with almost complete Skylanders and Skylanders Giants sets, as much as I want to buy Amiibos I just dont have a reason to.

That said, Peach and Link will probably be bought next year to sit on my desk.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

I don't even own a Wii U I just have a soft spot for little tchotchkes. I have a few of the blind bag Nintendo figures but that was due to nothing like this being available. Mine are actually still in the package. The packaging is decent and I think they look nice in there. $9.99 is probably a much more reasonable price but oh well. I don't plan on going hog wild on these. Staying away from the ones with too many of the clear stands. I really don't see why they couldn't avoid those. Like Star Fox for example. He should have a metal rod through his foot and up his ass that you can't see, but instead they went with those ridiculous "blocks of ice".

Again I don't own the system so I don't really care but I was surprised at what I thought was a half-assed integration. They should be playable characters with their own stats in Smash IMO.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Well Nintendo got me again, dammit.

I just went and pre-ordered Little Mac, Bowser, Ike, King Dedede, Mega Man, Captain Falcon, and Shulk. I'll probably get Link, Mario, DK, Fox, and Kirby later since I plenty of them in all the Targets, Wal-Marts, and Toys R' Us', around here.

Although there no Villagers, Marths, or Wii Fit Trainers anywhere near me.