Let's Warp to avoid Permadeath: The Fire Emblem thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
MrPopo

Re: Let's Warp to avoid Permadeath: The Fire Emblem thread

Post by MrPopo »

Sacred Stones is on the easy side, but the only way I'd call it extremely easy is if you abuse the random encounters to powerlevel.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Also Assassins and Mymordians with killing edge swords break the GBA games, I easily beat them using 3 Assassins and equipping killing edge swords, they will literally 1 shot everything in the game.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

My first entry in the series was FE Awakening. It's on my top 10 games list. I'm doing myself a disservice by not picking up others lol, seriously. Such a great game. I need to get on this & pick up Shadow Dragon.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Jagosaurus wrote:My first entry in the series was FE Awakening. It's on my top 10 games list. I'm doing myself a disservice by not picking up others lol, seriously. Such a great game. I need to get on this & pick up Shadow Dragon.

I don't recommend Shadow Dragon, most people found it very dull. I would try out any other entry on the series first though I'm told Awakening diverges in design philosophy a bit.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Awakening is sort of an amalgamation of all the best parts of previous entries. You've got the generational system and inheritance of 4, the skill system of 9 & 10, the branching promotions of 8, and it builds from there. They balanced the map system better so you can't just massively grind it like in 8, but at the same time you gain access to shops to avoid being massively screwed by weapon breakage and you get the freedom to do side chapters when you're ready to do them. The second seals let you change to a different class entirely giving you tons of freedom to build your characters' skills and create an ultimate unit.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

Awakening is the only one I've played and I really enjoy it but put it down for a spell and haven't picked it back up YET.

Probably the only thing I'm not sure about is that I'm obsessed with keeping everyone alive and sometimes I think that's the only reason I replay missions. I guess that's the point, but I almost think they shouldn't add so many characters so frequently. Like maybe 15-20 total characters. That way it's a bigger deal when you get someone new and you feel like there's more reason to keep them all alive.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I'm wondering if all you guys who loved Awakening actually played it with permadeath on.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Exhuminator wrote:I'm wondering if all you guys who loved Awakening actually played it with permadeath on.

playing Fire Emblem without permadeath is blasphemy
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

MrPopo wrote:Sacred Stones is on the easy side, but the only way I'd call it extremely easy is if you abuse the random encounters to powerlevel.

Yeah, I'd say it's of a reasonable difficulty without grinding too much. Still one of the easier onces, but not a cakewalk.

Awakening is probably one of the easiest in the series on it's standard difficulty. If/when you get round to playing that one, stick it on hard mode.

I've played Fuuin No Tsurugi a bit (Fire Emblem 6/Binding Blade) and it's harder than 7 but not as well designed imo. It's pretty solid though.

9 (Path of Radiance) seems pretty welcoming to newcomers, but I didn't like it as much of the GBA ones. I've yet to play Radiant Dawn - I should have picked it up whlst it was cheap, as the price has spiked right up now.

I own Shadow Dragon but havent played it yet. I expect it to be playable, if a little basic compared to the later ones.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the SNES games. I've wanted to try them myself for quite a while - I might pick up a RetroN5 just for the ability to patch actual cartridges and maybe import a few for my collection. Thracia 776 costs a pretty penny afaik though!
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

alienjesus wrote:I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the SNES games. I've wanted to try them myself for quite a while - I might pick up a RetroN5 just for the ability to patch actual cartridges and maybe import a few for my collection. Thracia 776 costs a pretty penny afaik though!

It was released through generic carts in 1999 and had a retail release in 2000. Can't say I'm surprised :lol:

I haven't gotten too far on Genealogy of the Holy War but I'm finding it intriguing. The presentation is poor compared to GBA games, I don't quite know who is who on the map, but the actual mechanics seem interesting. Characters and enemies have a fairly high number of hitpoints and there are less places where you can station an unit to fend off a horde without getting overwhelmed so I've found myself moving back and forth and trying to split the enemies. Which are less dumb than the usual FE fare, they won't suicide as often as they did in other games of the series I've played.

I've also noticed that the tone of the story is pretty serious and more medieval-ish which is interesting.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/