Let's Warp to avoid Permadeath: The Fire Emblem thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
MrPopo

Re: Let's Warp to avoid Permadeath: The Fire Emblem thread

Post by MrPopo »

Genealogy really emphasizes the use of more proper tactics, either divide and conquer or use of formations. The furthest I ever got was on an emulator and I reached the fight outside Thracia, but then I got Ziggy to make me a repro cart and I keep getting cocky in the second map and losing people and restarting.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Erik_Twice wrote:I've also noticed that the tone of the story is pretty serious and more medieval-ish which is interesting.

The SNES FE games come from when Shouzo Kaga was still running the show. He was very much into hardcore everything from the difficulty to the battles systems to the plot. The GBA stuff that came directly after he left feel much lighter in tone.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

MrPopo wrote:The furthest I ever got was on an emulator and I reached the fight outside Thracia, but then I got Ziggy to make me a repro cart and I keep getting cocky in the second map and losing people and restarting.

I should ask Ziggy for a quote sometime because I would love to have repros of some games :D
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Erik_Twice wrote:
MrPopo wrote:The furthest I ever got was on an emulator and I reached the fight outside Thracia, but then I got Ziggy to make me a repro cart and I keep getting cocky in the second map and losing people and restarting.

I should ask Ziggy for a quote sometime because I would love to have repros of some games :D

I enquired recently and he said he stopped making them. Might need to look elsewhere!
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

alienjesus wrote:I enquired recently and he said he stopped making them. Might need to look elsewhere!

Ah, that's a shame. Still, that gives time for the new translations to come out so all that ends well is well :lol:
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Genealogy of the Holy War is tough! I have had to restart a couple times already and I'm still on Chapter 1. Unlike every other games of the series I've played, your characters WILL get ganged upon by six different units if you try to hit them one by one instead of breaking the formation. Your units can take several hits, their HP is actually quite high, but it's easy to end up in a terrible position because you made a mistake the previous turn, which means the game has more planning and hence is more fun.

I haven't looked into the love system yet, I'm thinking of pairing characters based on how cool they are. Any tips?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Repros are so passé dudes. Get a Retron 5. Or is that not available in Europa yet?
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Repros are so passé dudes. Get a Retron 5. Or is that not available in Europa yet?

Nah, I would just use an emulator then.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Erik_Twice wrote:Genealogy of the Holy War is tough! I have had to restart a couple times already and I'm still on Chapter 1. Unlike every other games of the series I've played, your characters WILL get ganged upon by six different units if you try to hit them one by one instead of breaking the formation. Your units can take several hits, their HP is actually quite high, but it's easy to end up in a terrible position because you made a mistake the previous turn, which means the game has more planning and hence is more fun.

It gets worse; later chapters you'll face a 2x5 group of enemy cavalry that will abuse the fact that they can move after attacking so that EVERY SINGLE ONE hits the same unit.

I haven't looked into the love system yet, I'm thinking of pairing characters based on how cool they are. Any tips?

Children will inherit skills from their parents, specifically ones that aren't class skills (so only swordsmen get star hit, but anyone can get elite). Additionally, the stats of your children are based on the average stats of the parent, so you can use that to shore up weaknesses or enhance strengths.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I was frustrated that two of my units weren't in love with each other.

I just discovered they are both guys. Welp :oops: