NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by alienjesus Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:42 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I picked up a complete, original copy of Tales of Symphonia this weekend for $35, and I <finally> acquired a complete copy of FF: Crystal Chronicles for $8. :)

Since my children are really into Pokémon, I am thinking about getting:

Pokémon Channel
Pokémon Colosseum
Pokémon XD Gale of Darkness

(I am also tempted to get both Poképark games for the Wii.)Should I get these? Avoid them? Thoughts?


How old are your children? Pokémon Channel is really suited to very young children. On the other hand, Colosseum and XD skew towards the more difficult end of the spectrum as far as Pokémon games go, so they may find them frustrating.

Poképark is a weird one. It's definitely aimed at younger children - it's very twee and the goal is to make friends with all the pokémon you can. That said, there are mini games where you must chase another pokémon or defeat them in a battle that can again, be surprisingly tough considering the target audience. I've only played the first, but I hear the sequel is more of the same.

They're probably all suitable for children to be honest, but if your kids are easily frustrated, be expected to ask to help out a lot :lol:
Image
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10225
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:48 pm

alienjesus wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I picked up a complete, original copy of Tales of Symphonia this weekend for $35, and I <finally> acquired a complete copy of FF: Crystal Chronicles for $8. :)

Since my children are really into Pokémon, I am thinking about getting:

Pokémon Channel
Pokémon Colosseum
Pokémon XD Gale of Darkness

(I am also tempted to get both Poképark games for the Wii.) Should I get these? Avoid them? Thoughts?


How old are your children? Pokémon Channel is really suited to very young children. On the other hand, Colosseum and XD skew towards the more difficult end of the spectrum as far as Pokémon games go, so they may find them frustrating.

Poképark is a weird one. It's definitely aimed at younger children - it's very twee and the goal is to make friends with all the pokémon you can. That said, there are mini games where you must chase another pokémon or defeat them in a battle that can again, be surprisingly tough considering the target audience. I've only played the first, but I hear the sequel is more of the same.

They're probably all suitable for children to be honest, but if your kids are easily frustrated, be expected to ask to help out a lot :lol:


My children are seven and four, and neither of them are skilled at video games (unless they have touch controls). They would probably watch me play them, but it sounds like they could play Pokémon Channel. (It also sounds like they would love Poképark.)
User avatar
Michi
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by Michi Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:57 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:My children are seven and four, and neither of them are skilled at video games (unless they have touch controls). They would probably watch me play them, but it sounds like they could play Pokémon Channel. (It also sounds like they would love Poképark.)


Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are probably good bets for you.

But, yeah, the other three were aimed at a much younger audience. So while the kids might love em, I'm not sure you will. Channel is probably perfect for a four-year old, and I imagine Pokepark would probably be entertaining enough for the both of them. Of course, the Park games have more interactivity, so you might have to play it for them initially. But they'd probably also be good games to comfortably ease them into playing themselves.
ejamer
128-bit
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by ejamer Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:12 pm

This might be a bit off-topic, but this thread seemed like the best place to drop this notice.

I'm getting rid of a bunch of old games that aren't going to be played (by me) again. Most are common fare not worth the cost of shipping, but disc-only copies of Lost Kingdoms I & II are included in the pile.

The second game in particular seems to be somewhat rare and sells online for an ok price. I know being disc-only is a big turn off for many, but if any gamers here are interested just drop me an offer via PM.

Note: I'm not looking for "market value", as defined by eBay or Pricecharting. Just make it worth my time to visit the post office and they are yours. Shipping from Canada.
User avatar
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1619
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:32 am
Location: The Chilly Confines of Minnesota

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by jmbarnes101 Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:26 pm

My kids loved PokePark 2 when they played it last year. We don't have the first one yet. I would recommend PokePark and maybe the others. Gale of Darkness is a good game but geared towards older as stated. Pokemon Revolution I don't think we've played yet. Pokemon Channel is a bizarre game and mileage will vary.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14867&p=149112#p149112

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Pokemon, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by alienjesus Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:33 pm

jmbarnes101 wrote:Pokemon Revolution I don't think we've played yet.


Pokémon Battle Revolution is targeted at people who have played Pokémon Diamond and Pearl and can use their team in the Wii game. It's pretty tough too, and it's 100% battles. Absolutely not recommended for prfsnl's kiddos!

I'd go with Pokémon Channel and PokéPark as pretty safe bets, and if they like them, I'd look into one of the handheld games next honestly. Colosseum and XD should probably come later!
Image
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by Tanooki Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Sarge wrote:I'm weird in that I loved Sticker Star. The RPG elements are pretty much non-existent, but this didn't bother me.

Paper Jam is really solid if you like the Mario & Luigi series. It still plays very much like those as opposed to the Paper Mario series. It's also got some of the M&L's trademark boss difficulty. You can get owned pretty quickly if your timing's bad.


Sounds like I should avoid it then. I was never good at all with the timing on Paper Mario on N64, got me stuck in the game 2/3 into it to the point I just quit and sold it back in the 90s to play something less annoying. I'd had to drop $40 on a 3DS game that got all timing pissy with me as that would be a shame. The only M&L game I ever got into though, and didn't complete or anything near it, was the GBA title.
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by Sarge Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:22 pm

I'd say the difficulty is in line with Superstar Saga. Maybe a little harder if you don't use the card system effectively in the new one.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
lisalover1
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:50 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by lisalover1 Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:17 pm

There was a LAN party at my college recently where someone had a whole 5-TV Four Swords Adventures setup, so my friends and I had a blast with that. It was actually the first time I was able to play the game with all four people. I just love that throwing your teammates is such a prominent mechanic - it adds a lot of fun chaos to the game. :P
Image
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 20941
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by Ack Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:40 pm

lisalover1 wrote:There was a LAN party at my college recently where someone had a whole 5-TV Four Swords Adventures setup, so my friends and I had a blast with that. It was actually the first time I was able to play the game with all four people. I just love that throwing your teammates is such a prominent mechanic - it adds a lot of fun chaos to the game. :P


Hey lisalover, you still up at Digipen?
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to Nintendo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest