NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ack

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by Ack Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:56 am

I still haven't tried that one either. Maybe I'll get to it someday, but as much as I love A Link to the Past, I'm ok with waiting.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:06 am

Ack wrote:but as much as I love A Link to the Past, I'm ok with waiting.

Protip: You've already played A Link Between Worlds.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:37 am

Except that it remixes things pretty significantly. It hits some of the same beats, but just the addition of the painting mechanic changes overworld navigation significantly, and the dungeons are all-new stuff. Which, of course, is the important part.

Only gripe is that it's a little easy, so if you're looking for challenge, it's not here. Unless you play Hero mode, and I hear that's only tough at the beginning.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:47 am

Sarge wrote:It hits some of the same beats

The overworld is practically 1:1 identical. A bit boring. I believe this occurred because ALBW started off as a pure aught 3D remake of ALttP.
Sarge wrote:the dungeons are all-new stuff

Well, the two dungeons I finished felt like hacks of ALttP dungeons, using previously existing concepts to remix the layouts.

I don't want to sound like I'm saying ALBW sucks. I'm not saying that.

I am saying I was very disappointed in how extremely similar to ALttP it was, at least for the 3 or 4 hours I put into it. I'm guessing that the really cool and differentiating stuff happens in the latter half of the game. I'll try to find out someday. For now though, it goes in the "overrated because it's Nintendo pile" in my book.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:54 am

On the topic of not carrying on this repeat of the same Zelda conversation that's been in just about every thread lately...

I've been on a bit of a Gamecube kick. Having played through both Super Monkey Ball and Lost Kingdoms, I'm now refocusing on Ikaruga. The plan is to play it long enough to start unlocking additional credits. And who knows, maybe I'll suck a bit less after all that practice too.

One annoying thing I foudn with both Ikaruga and Monkey Ball is that Auto-saving is turned off by default. Both have an autosave option, but you have to access it via the options menu. Why on earth would I not want the default to be 'on'? Why wouldn't you just offer me the option the first time I play the game to decide? What a bizarre choice that was.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:22 pm

alienjesus wrote:One annoying thing I foudn with both Ikaruga and Monkey Ball is that Auto-saving is turned off by default. Both have an autosave option, but you have to access it via the options menu. Why on earth would I not want the default to be 'on'? Why wouldn't you just offer me the option the first time I play the game to decide? What a bizarre choice that was.

Haha I seem to remember that being similar for a lot of games in that generation of consoles? The number of times I've seen the 'auto-save' option buried in the options and being turned off by default is quite I high, I think. It's like auto-save was quite a new feature and they weren't sure if gamers were going to embrace it... I don't know. It is pretty odd.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:28 pm

It had to be new, I don't recall many games especially in ps1/n64 era having it except a handfull that i've played to some extent so far. And that's pushing it...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 am

Reprise wrote:Haha I seem to remember that being similar for a lot of games in that generation of consoles? The number of times I've seen the 'auto-save' option buried in the options and being turned off by default is quite I high, I think. It's like auto-save was quite a new feature and they weren't sure if gamers were going to embrace it... I don't know. It is pretty odd.

I think they were afraid people wouldn't be aware it was on and turn off the system while a save was in progress, corrupting their data. Modern games figured out they could just put a disclaimer while the game was loading.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:45 am

alienjesus wrote:One annoying thing I foudn with both Ikaruga and Monkey Ball is that Auto-saving is turned off by default. Both have an autosave option, but you have to access it via the options menu. Why on earth would I not want the default to be 'on'? Why wouldn't you just offer me the option the first time I play the game to decide? What a bizarre choice that was.

I actually prefer auto-save to be off. Less wear and tear on memory cards that way.
I agree that they should give the option right away though (which would then auto-save the selection, heh :wink: ).

But then, I supposed I just like being in control of what saves when. Smash Bros Melee irritates me with how often it saves (even though I understand the likelihood slot/trophy abuse).
So do a lot of PSP games (Dissidia and Soul Calibur comes to mind).
...just another lost soul...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:40 am

nightrnr wrote:

I actually prefer auto-save to be off. Less wear and tear on memory cards that way.
I agree that they should give the option right away though (which would then auto-save the selection, heh :wink: ).

But then, I supposed I just like being in control of what saves when. Smash Bros Melee irritates me with how often it saves (even though I understand the likelihood slot/trophy abuse).
So do a lot of PSP games (Dissidia and Soul Calibur comes to mind).

It's still kinda of bizarre considering both games have unlockables which are dependent on playing for a certain length of time or a certain amount of levels finished. I've played hours of Ikaruga before without realizing that it hadn't been saving and my total play time was still 0:00:00 :lol:
Return to Nintendo