NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

by samsonlonghair Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:17 am

Love the gamecube controller. If the D-Pad was bigger it would be the perfect controller.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51 am

I picked up my first GameCube game in years: Sonic Gems Collection.

I've wanted it for a long time, finally took the plunge. Compliments my Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the Xbox so I have all the Game Gear titles spread over two games.

I'm also kind of intrigued by Sonic's Adventure DX for the GCN since you unlock ALL the Game Gear games in that title.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:23 am

alienjesus wrote:
Tanooki wrote:No there's a Tamagotchi/Pedometer thing called Pocket Pikachu, it was black and white, worked with nothing but itself, but there was a GBC screen style model 2 that had an IR port that works with the GBC games.

Pokemon Mini though yeah I've had one of those back in the 90s, it's fun in short bursts, but the disgusting fanboy tax price on those things since they're not prolific makes it stunning why anyone would even bother. There was a small line up in Japan, and a slightly smaller one in the AUS/EU market, and then the US got stiffed with the fewest perhaps as American's caught on fastest it wasn't that fun so they cut the releases.

I don't remember all the games, but there was a Pokemon Party, Pinball, Tetris(we didn't get it), and a few others. I doubt it had more than 6-10 games, it came in smaller than Virtual Boy did.

Yeah, the Pokémon Mini and the Pokémon Pikachu series are definitely different beasts altogether.

It probably needs a few edits, but I wrote a 101 article for the site about if a few years ago: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo ... ners-guide

I have 4 of the 5 PAL releases, including Tetris, which is easily the best, and the rarest, Western release for the system. The one I'm missing is Pokémon Pinball Mini, which is pretty cheap so I should pick it up sometime.

There were 4 releases in the US and 10 in Japan. The 5 Japan exclusives are stupidly rare and incredibly expensive.

I read your write up. Do you know if the flash cart is still being sold? Or if someone else has made them?
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14867&p=149112#p149112

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Pokemon, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:50 am

jmbarnes101 wrote:
I read your write up. Do you know if the flash cart is still being sold? Or if someone else has made them?

Your best bet is asking on the pokemon-mini forums. They're not super active, so you might have to check back for a response, but I'm sure someone there will know.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:17 am

I don't own a Pokemon Mini but it'd be appealing if I could find the flash cart I'd grab a Mini as well. I can't justify spending $40 plus on one game.

To get this thread back on track I'm hoping to finalize a trade that would get me Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures in the big box with the link cable. I have the game but this is a step up. I want to play with my kids and I'd finally have 3 GBA's and 3 link cables.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Pokemon, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
3DSStrider
128-bit

by 3DSStrider Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:05 am

So I recently went to a retro game store (and won a Goldeneye tournament held there, but that's besides the point) and bought Donkey Konga. I already got the bongos for Christmas because I pointed them out to my grandpa when we were browsing a flea market, but I didn't have any of the games for it. I tested it with Melee (video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERkUHfi ... 4OyVS5BHpg) and it worked, so I was eager to finally acquire a compatible game. So I played it yesterday, and it was surprisingly fun! However, it is also LOUD. The beating of the bongos and all of the clapping you have to do will annoy housemates and neighbors, but other than that it's pretty good.
Insert clever quote here.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/3DSStrider
Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuNEFO ... qkaLOHc2nQ
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:15 am

jmbarnes101 wrote:To get this thread back on track I'm hoping to finalize a trade that would get me Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures in the big box with the link cable. I have the game but this is a step up. I want to play with my kids and I'd finally have 3 GBA's and 3 link cables.

It is so worth it. The story mode is fun but the battle mode is top notch. If you get it going, get FFCC and Pacman Vs.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:28 pm

Seconding the above comment. I rarely had someone to play those with, so I got stuck in single player and they're all very solid adventures, but if you have a few to get together with those games only (well Zelda is fine alone) really shine when you're not alone.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I've got Crystal Chronicles and Pac-Man vs. so once I have enough link cables we'll definitely be playing. I also want to get the Japanese Four Swords for Tetra Trackers.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:

Game Systems Owned:
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:18 pm

jmbarnes101 wrote:I've got Crystal Chronicles and Pac-Man vs. so once I have enough link cables we'll definitely be playing. I also want to get the Japanese Four Swords for Tetra Trackers.

I never picked up a copy of Tetra Trackers, but it is the closest you will get to BS Zelda on the SNES. I wonder if there is a translation project for it.
Return to Nintendo