Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

Post by Tanooki »

That looks nice. I'd love to see the GC at an affordable level get beyond where it's currently stuck and into modern TV type output like that. I know N64 has a project piece out there like that too.
9Volt
8-bit

Post by 9Volt »

CRTGAMER wrote:The texture is not from the cable, but an upscale issue going from 480i to 720p or 1080p fixed resolution of your flatscreen TV. Some upscaler converter boxes work better but tend to be expensive. Best to start out with the best possible resolution a given console can produce; for the Gamecube that would be the pricey component cables or go the Wii route. LED and LCD TVs display HD beautiful, but fall "flat" when attempting to upscale lower resolutions. It is an issue of the fixed 720p or 1080p screen trying to blow up the smaller resolution.

If you have the room, maybe get a CRT (flat tube) such as the Sony WEGA series for your older consoles; even the SVideo hookup will look so much more crisp vs the upscaler and a flatscreen TV.

My preference is the Sony WEGA HD CRT which displays ALL resolutions 480i-480p-720p-1080i crystal clear.

My fear is how muck lifespan this TV have, HD TV resist more than a Flat tube? Someone can recommend a better upscale? The reason I suspected that was interference was because everytime that the av cable come closer to the upscaler, the texture got worse.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I found Paper Mario today, didn't intend to like or even bother with it, but somehow I dropped a few hours and cleared the first chapter. It's interesting alright. I made another thread with some questions and concerns about it if I should keep going or not with my timing issues that ruined PM N64 for me.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

The Thousand-Year Door is one of the best GameCube games and I thought it an improvement over the original Paper Mario. I don't think they've matched it again since either. I'll check out the other thread but congrats on a nice pickup.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

The Thousand-Year Door is one of the best GameCube games and I thought it an improvement over the original Paper Mario. I don't think they've matched it again since either. I'll check out the other thread but congrats on a nice pickup.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I've heard that comment before and would fit since on the Wii, I had that, it was basically a platforming game looking like Paper Mario as it wasn't turn based and I found it kind of boring and disjointed, never finished it.

I know there's that 3DS one called Sticker Star, never looked into it, again thanks to the crude N64 title that turned me off so I have no idea how that one stacks up. And I know there was also a 3DS crossover with the similar Mario & Luigi as it did have paper mario on the cover.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

Sticker Star is ok at best and I would probably stay away if you didn't like the N64 or Wii ones. The new Paper Jam is supposed to be pretty good as a combo of Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. I haven't had a chance to try it yet though.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:

Game Systems Owned:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'll keep that in mind. I read that the 3DS one has you back to being a single punching bag, but you get a bunch of things thrown your way to kind of counter it. Seems counter productive to me as the party aspect is more interesting, which of course Paper Jam has since it's a M&L mash up with Paper Mario himself.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'm weird in that I loved Sticker Star. The RPG elements are pretty much non-existent, but this didn't bother me.

Paper Jam is really solid if you like the Mario & Luigi series. It still plays very much like those as opposed to the Paper Mario series. It's also got some of the M&L's trademark boss difficulty. You can get owned pretty quickly if your timing's bad.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I picked up a complete, original copy of Tales of Symphonia this weekend for $35, and I <finally> acquired a complete copy of FF: Crystal Chronicles for $8. :)

Since my children are really into Pokémon, I am thinking about getting:

Pokémon Channel
Pokémon Colosseum
Pokémon XD Gale of Darkness

(I am also tempted to get both Poképark games for the Wii.)Should I get these? Avoid them? Thoughts?