Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Ongoing GameCube discussion thread

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I picked up a complete, original copy of Tales of Symphonia this weekend for $35, and I <finally> acquired a complete copy of FF: Crystal Chronicles for $8. :)

Since my children are really into Pokémon, I am thinking about getting:

Pokémon Channel
Pokémon Colosseum
Pokémon XD Gale of Darkness

(I am also tempted to get both Poképark games for the Wii.)Should I get these? Avoid them? Thoughts?

How old are your children? Pokémon Channel is really suited to very young children. On the other hand, Colosseum and XD skew towards the more difficult end of the spectrum as far as Pokémon games go, so they may find them frustrating.

Poképark is a weird one. It's definitely aimed at younger children - it's very twee and the goal is to make friends with all the pokémon you can. That said, there are mini games where you must chase another pokémon or defeat them in a battle that can again, be surprisingly tough considering the target audience. I've only played the first, but I hear the sequel is more of the same.

They're probably all suitable for children to be honest, but if your kids are easily frustrated, be expected to ask to help out a lot :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

alienjesus wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I picked up a complete, original copy of Tales of Symphonia this weekend for $35, and I <finally> acquired a complete copy of FF: Crystal Chronicles for $8. :)

Since my children are really into Pokémon, I am thinking about getting:

Pokémon Channel
Pokémon Colosseum
Pokémon XD Gale of Darkness

(I am also tempted to get both Poképark games for the Wii.) Should I get these? Avoid them? Thoughts?

How old are your children? Pokémon Channel is really suited to very young children. On the other hand, Colosseum and XD skew towards the more difficult end of the spectrum as far as Pokémon games go, so they may find them frustrating.

Poképark is a weird one. It's definitely aimed at younger children - it's very twee and the goal is to make friends with all the pokémon you can. That said, there are mini games where you must chase another pokémon or defeat them in a battle that can again, be surprisingly tough considering the target audience. I've only played the first, but I hear the sequel is more of the same.

They're probably all suitable for children to be honest, but if your kids are easily frustrated, be expected to ask to help out a lot :lol:

My children are seven and four, and neither of them are skilled at video games (unless they have touch controls). They would probably watch me play them, but it sounds like they could play Pokémon Channel. (It also sounds like they would love Poképark.)
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:My children are seven and four, and neither of them are skilled at video games (unless they have touch controls). They would probably watch me play them, but it sounds like they could play Pokémon Channel. (It also sounds like they would love Poképark.)

Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are probably good bets for you.

But, yeah, the other three were aimed at a much younger audience. So while the kids might love em, I'm not sure you will. Channel is probably perfect for a four-year old, and I imagine Pokepark would probably be entertaining enough for the both of them. Of course, the Park games have more interactivity, so you might have to play it for them initially. But they'd probably also be good games to comfortably ease them into playing themselves.
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

This might be a bit off-topic, but this thread seemed like the best place to drop this notice.

I'm getting rid of a bunch of old games that aren't going to be played (by me) again. Most are common fare not worth the cost of shipping, but disc-only copies of Lost Kingdoms I & II are included in the pile.

The second game in particular seems to be somewhat rare and sells online for an ok price. I know being disc-only is a big turn off for many, but if any gamers here are interested just drop me an offer via PM.

Note: I'm not looking for "market value", as defined by eBay or Pricecharting. Just make it worth my time to visit the post office and they are yours. Shipping from Canada.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

My kids loved PokePark 2 when they played it last year. We don't have the first one yet. I would recommend PokePark and maybe the others. Gale of Darkness is a good game but geared towards older as stated. Pokemon Revolution I don't think we've played yet. Pokemon Channel is a bizarre game and mileage will vary.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

jmbarnes101 wrote:Pokemon Revolution I don't think we've played yet.

Pokémon Battle Revolution is targeted at people who have played Pokémon Diamond and Pearl and can use their team in the Wii game. It's pretty tough too, and it's 100% battles. Absolutely not recommended for prfsnl's kiddos!

I'd go with Pokémon Channel and PokéPark as pretty safe bets, and if they like them, I'd look into one of the handheld games next honestly. Colosseum and XD should probably come later!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Sarge wrote:I'm weird in that I loved Sticker Star. The RPG elements are pretty much non-existent, but this didn't bother me.

Paper Jam is really solid if you like the Mario & Luigi series. It still plays very much like those as opposed to the Paper Mario series. It's also got some of the M&L's trademark boss difficulty. You can get owned pretty quickly if your timing's bad.

Sounds like I should avoid it then. I was never good at all with the timing on Paper Mario on N64, got me stuck in the game 2/3 into it to the point I just quit and sold it back in the 90s to play something less annoying. I'd had to drop $40 on a 3DS game that got all timing pissy with me as that would be a shame. The only M&L game I ever got into though, and didn't complete or anything near it, was the GBA title.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'd say the difficulty is in line with Superstar Saga. Maybe a little harder if you don't use the card system effectively in the new one.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

There was a LAN party at my college recently where someone had a whole 5-TV Four Swords Adventures setup, so my friends and I had a blast with that. It was actually the first time I was able to play the game with all four people. I just love that throwing your teammates is such a prominent mechanic - it adds a lot of fun chaos to the game. :P
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Ack

Post by Ack »

lisalover1 wrote:There was a LAN party at my college recently where someone had a whole 5-TV Four Swords Adventures setup, so my friends and I had a blast with that. It was actually the first time I was able to play the game with all four people. I just love that throwing your teammates is such a prominent mechanic - it adds a lot of fun chaos to the game. :P

Hey lisalover, you still up at Digipen?