Nintendo Announces 2DS....thoughts?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo Announces 2DS....thoughts?

Post by isiolia »

retrosportsgamer wrote:I saw two of these at a local Target the other day - pre-loaded with Mario Kart 7.

Was surprised they were still out at major retail.

They're Nintendo's value product (really, $80 for one plus MK7, or $200 for a New 3DS XL). Plus, 3DS XLs have been in relatively short supply last I've seen, so they may simply be what's available.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I get the impression that Nintendo produces more 2DS systems whenever they release a new Pokemon Game so that the little kiddos can play Pokemon on something affordable. The re-release of the 2DS on retail shelves probably has a lot to do with Pokemon Sun and Moon.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

samsonlonghair wrote:I get the impression that Nintendo produces more 2DS systems whenever they release a new Pokemon Game so that the little kiddos can play Pokemon on something affordable. The re-release of the 2DS on retail shelves probably has a lot to do with Pokemon Sun and Moon.

That's great. I've thought about selling my DSiXL and getting one of those for the little one instead.
Lazer
64-bit

Post by Lazer »

I assume that SNES VC games will work on the New 2DS XL (they do not work on the original 2DS). Can anyone confirm or deny this?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

My understanding is that the New 2DS is supposed to do everything the New 3DS does except 3D.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Now that Metroid is finally coming, I think I'll get one and I'm still leaning towards this new 2DS. I think I'd have fun with the 3D for like a day and never care again, so I doubt I need it...

Are pretty much all 3DS games available digitally though? How is storage space? I think it would actually be a lot more viable to go full digital with a handheld, even with my beloved Zelda's and Metroid's, etc. I think I'd rather not own physical games of handheld stuff again.
Lazer
64-bit

Post by Lazer »

I think the max size SD card is 32 GB. I don't know how big the games typically are. They probably vary a lot.

I just bought a 2DS, thinking that SNES VC games would work but nope. So, I now have a new 2DS XL preordered from Toys r Us. Yay.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I think as long as you can format it in FAT32, you can go larger than 32GB, according to my limited research over at GBATemp. Some folks were saying they had 128GB and 256GB cards going. Windows won't let you format in FAT32, but other external tools will.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Giant Bomb got one, looks flappy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SFcWY0c8Yk
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

That hinge is super flappy damn! Funny that was the first thing Jeff did. I have a DS Lite and it doesn't do that barely at all.

Not to sound dramatic but, for me, that alone is a reason to give the nod to the slate style 2DS.
Last edited by casterofdreams on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.