Is there going to ever be a 1080p Wii model?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
eastside
24-bit

Is there going to ever be a 1080p Wii model?

Post by eastside »

Is Nintendo going to offer a good solution to Wii owners with HDTV's?

Could Nintendo add a low cost 1080p upscaling chip to Wii to enable HD output?

and still use the same GC based hardware?

I came across a company that makes a low-cost upscaling chip for sub $100 DVD players....could something like that be added to a new Wii model by Nintendo to get people to upgrade like they did with GBA and DS?

Wii with 8GB flash and HD for 2009?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Whats the point? The games for Wii don't have the kind of textures and shaders that would benefit from higher resolutions. It's just not worth their effort.
marurun

Post by marurun »

If Nintendo added an "upscaling chip" it would be the same effect as the TV doing the upscaling itself, really. You'd have to bump up the 3D hardware so that it could natively handle the higher resolution, and that would require a bit of a hardware redesign. I do not foresee a Wii v.2.0.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fox099
64-bit

Post by fox099 »

Nintendo is gonna milk its cheap hardware and just stick with 480p. Maybe in another generation or two they will do 1080p, but right now you are stuck with 480. Some high end tvs (like Panasonic and Hitachi) do a good job of upscaling lowres feeds, but most dont.
Consoles Owned: Nintendo SNES, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GBA, Sony PSX, PS2, PS3, Sega Master, Microsoft XBox
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

Wii wasn't designed for HD in any sense, so I highly doubt they're every going to go that direction. Why fix what ain't broke?
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

RadarScope1 wrote:Wii wasn't designed for HD in any sense, so I highly doubt they're every going to go that direction. Why fix what ain't broke?

I'm fairly certain Nintendo will make a 1080p capable system when it can be made for 25,000Y (as that's been the price of their systems since the N64 - the SNES was MSRP-free but it was about the same) and make a profit on it. So maybe in 6 years? :roll:
gradualmeltdown
128-bit

Post by gradualmeltdown »

Nintendo will make an HD system when the majority of their demographic have HDTV and learn how to use them. Next-gen in other words.
I like old games
I like new games
I like games
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Nintendo have stated that they have no interest in competing with the 360 or PS3 directly. That's on features (ie HD output) and also graphically wise.

Besides if you have a decent enough TV (ie a Panasonic/Samsung) that do proper upscaling then component output is more than enough for a crystal clear picture. My Wii on my Viera is ultra sharp and crisp at 480p. I have no faults with it at all.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Zer
32-bit

Post by Zer »

I'd prefer the Wii being the tiny and quiet system it is and be SD than be the size of a 360 and have HD. Besides, what's the point when only like 10% or so of the people buying Nintendo consoles have HD TVs? There's the 'hardcore' gamers that have HD TVs and surround sound set ups and all that stuff, and the casual gamers that have a normal SD TV. I think you know which demographic Nintendo is aiming for with the Wii. Hell, I have a old CRT that has VIDEO 1 burnt in on the top corner and shitty speakers...
this space intentionally left blank.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sure, TV broadcasts in the US are going digital next year, but you can bet for financial reasons a lot of people will be replacing their old TVs with digital SD TVs instead of HD TVs.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.