Too early to start talking about rare/valuable Wii games?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: Too early to start talking about rare/valuable Wii games

Post by Betagam7 »

Michi wrote:I was basing what I said about Ivy from what I saw on the VGPC page, which, I know isn't 100% accurate. But if you go to the page, you can see that the price has indeed 'shot up' over the last year, at least here in the states. Based on that, it looks like it's almost doubled from this same time last year, both for disc only and CIB. Why this is, I don't know, since I too remember it being sub-$10 new at Gamestop when I got it a couple years ago. That store now lists it for $20 used (same thing happened to TvC*. I remember used copies being $7.99, now Gamestop is asking for $20).

So if you get lucky and find it for cheap, great, but it is currently trending upwards, at least online, which is why I listed it as a game to consider (or at least keep an eye on.)

Also, keep in mind that just because Amazon lists a price for something that's 'temporarily out of stock' doesn't mean you'll actually ever get the item. I waited for a DVD I ordered from them for months, before they finally conceded they wouldn't get any more in.

*Why we're on the subject of 'is it rare/expensive,' I must ask, is this game getting harder for people to find? I used to see it around all the time, still do whenever I go into a game store and browse the Wii section. And VGPC even has it around the $20-25 mark, so I wouldn't call it all that pricy either, which is why I'm asking.

I looked at the site you linked to. So have I got this correct? Because someone on Amazon has it listed for $149 that jumps the average price up to the $85 mark? Or is it because some collector paid an exorbitant price to wallpaper their house with a sealed copy?

All this tells me is that a handful of people with too much disposable income paid way over the odds for something that I can easily find in perfect nick for a sliver of the price. I'm not sure why a minority of high price listings are taken as the Bible over the numerous cheap copies on Ebay unsold right now...

Sites like this only seem to be perpetuating the myth that everything is work megabucks.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Betagam7 wrote:Sites like this only seem to be perpetuating the myth that everything is work megabucks.

I know "work" is a typo, but otherwise, this statement is fact. It's good for sellers, though, but Hendricks lost quite a bit of respect from me when he started selling from his site. Complete conflict of interest.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Betagam7 wrote:
Michi wrote:I too remember it being sub-$10 new at Gamestop when I got it a couple years ago. That store now lists it for $20 used (same thing happened to TvC*. I remember used copies being $7.99, now Gamestop is asking for $20). So if you get lucky and find it for cheap, great, but it is currently trending upwards, at least online, which is why I listed it as a game to consider (or at least keep an eye on.)

*Why we're on the subject of 'is it rare/expensive,' I must ask, is this game getting harder for people to find? I used to see it around all the time, still do whenever I go into a game store and browse the Wii section. And VGPC even has it around the $20-25 mark, so I wouldn't call it all that pricey either, which is why I'm asking.
I looked at the site you linked to. So have I got this correct? Because someone on Amazon has it listed for $149 that jumps the average price up to the $85 mark? Or is it because some collector paid an exorbitant price to wallpaper their house with a sealed copy?

Video Game Price Charts are not always updated accurate, it seems to show the extremes and not true current market averages. I do not know why Best Buy, Walmart and other major retailers are not tied to the price averages. Even Thrift stores, Craigs list and my beloved BookOff make the price difference for the true average price. Basically use VGPC as a reference, but keep in mind there are higher and lower prices available if one does the footwork.

The very high price are for new sealed copies, the sellers taking advantage the some collectors willing to pay that much for an older console sealed game. Ivi Kiwi is an obscure 2d platform puzzler uncommon game (except in Michi's area back then) leading to the frenzy. This probably rings true for other obscure budget games years ago now shot up in price.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

CRTGAMER wrote: Ivi Kiwi is an obscure 2d platform puzzler uncommon game (except in Michi's area back then) leading to the frenzy. This probably rings true for other obscure budget games years ago now shot up in price.

Yet, how can it be described as such when there are dozens of listing for it on ebay at very cheap prices?

Checking completed listings on Ebay.co.uk the last one sold boxed and complete for a whopping £4.06 after accumulating an enormous 4 bids.

Once again, I'd suggest it's only in NA territories where this game is considered "uncommon". In Europe it was released during the death knells of the Wii and sold at bargain basement prices from the off, it barely commands more than that now.

It is quite a fun game though from what I recall. It deserved better.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Wii Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero Archives
The two Gamecube to Wii remakes inspired from PS1 are currently less then ten bucks at Gamestop. The Wii console games at an impasse marketing point at the moment due to all the newer console HD remakes. Some games might go up in value due to DRM free and CIB with a manual; newer games do not include the paper manual.

Image Image

Wii 'Sushi Go Round' Nunchuck Game Set (Retail New Price $60.00) - BookOff $1.50 :shock:
Okay, a 3rd party Nunchuck with budget game packaged together due to today not very common and maybe collectable? The box itself would be the rarest item in the nunchuck game set.Gamestop usually prices Special Editions and regular edition games at the same price. Imagine my surprise finding an Intec Nunchuck with Wii Sushi Go Around brand new in box for just over a buck!

A very obscure package (especially sealed) to locate the current value, so Bookoff charged their going rate for the budget game. :mrgreen:

When buying this set, I was thinking of N64 Pokemon sushi level or Diner Dash. No where near as Cooking Mama, a good price though.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I managed to pick up guiltygear accent core plus at GameStop for 14.00 complete awesome
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Speaking of Gamestop, I went on a hunt for a couple of first party Wii games. Kirby: Return to Dreamland was on the list. I was floored when they wanted $45 for it. I didn't really do any research on the price of the game prior to me going in the store. It was kind of on the whim. I conceded and picked up the game just yesterday on the Wii U eShop for $15 from that Kirby sale. It's a tough call because I wanted it physical and complete. They had just the game with no box and manual and I couldn't justify $45 for it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

casterofdreams wrote:Speaking of Gamestop, I went on a hunt for a couple of first party Wii games. Kirby: Return to Dreamland was on the list. I was floored when they wanted $45 for it. I didn't really do any research on the price of the game prior to me going in the store. It was kind of on the whim. I conceded and picked up the game just yesterday on the Wii U eShop for $15 from that Kirby sale. It's a tough call because I wanted it physical and complete. They had just the game with no box and manual and I couldn't justify $45 for it.

A lot of their more expensive Wii games (and a lot of there games, just flat out) aren't worth it. You can often find cheaper prices for equally if not even nicer condition stuff on ebay by $10 or even $15 or more, in my experience. Occasionally they'll have a really rare or uncommon one down at $5, but the days when you can even find stuff like that anymore are slipping further and further away, it would seem :(

Also, this is your once-in-a-while reminder that their website is trash and I hate it.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

CRT, those Wii Resident Evils are ports, not remakes. Technically, RE1 is a remake for the Gamecube, ported to the Wii, but RE0 isn't.

The RE0 on PS3/PS4 is also a remaster, with enhanced graphics and additional materials. The RE0 on the Wii is the same game as the Gamecube version, only with additional controls. Although DRM-free, the Wii version is "inferior" in terms of content.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Betagam7 wrote:Once again, I'd suggest it's only in NA territories where this game is considered "uncommon".

It must be if you're seeing stuff for less than £5. I'm looking at sold NA eBay listings right now. There are 7, 5 of them used, and of those 5 the cheapest one went for $45.

The cheapest ones currently active are between $17.26 and $25, but those are Japanese imports. The cheapest NA one is at a little less than $30 right now, with two days left to go.

I can only assume that the discrepancy is due to either a lack of popularity upon release or we just didn't print as many copies.