Too early to start talking about rare/valuable Wii games?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Re: Too early to start talking about rare/valuable Wii games

Post by FerretGamer »

AppleQueso wrote:Plus, the last thing the hobby needs is even more visibility, prices are spiking high enough as it is.

Looks at US Saturn games... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Post by Retrogamer0001 »

Some do, of course. However, EB/Gamestop is unique in that they are a very mainstream company, "the" place to trade in games for many people. Pawnshops get their share sometimes, but in the minds of most people, EB would be the first thing that comes to mind simply because they are everywhere. They also offer services and goods that most pawn shops don't - trade credit, a very wide selection of current generation games and consoles brand new and with a warranty, the ability to pre-order upcoming games, etc. The audience is simply wider with EB, and that brings a pull that your average pawn shop doesn't.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Retrogamer0001 wrote:The hobby gains more visibility by the day - Youtube and Ebay are prime contributors to that, though not the only ones. If anything, EB starting to take older games on trade might actually LOWER online prices and likely encourage people to dig out that old box of games in the basement they think is just collecting dust. Imagine what people that aren't internet savvy have laying around their homes gamewise! My grandmother played SNES back in the 90's and just recently dug out a box that had complete copies of Lufia, Secret of Mana, Earthwork Jim, Mario RPG, and some of the more common ones. If people wanted to "upgrade" their older stuff for newer, EB could be the place they go to trade in if their prices were reasonable.

I think Gamestop tends to bring the overall prices down, the games are usually cheaper compared to online prices. Although I would never sell a game there since they do not pay much. I hate the way they gut games, but the CIBs are a great price.

BoringSupreez wrote:Except for Xenoblade, Last Story, and Metroid Prime Trilogy, none of the games you guys are listing are ones I'm interested in. And I've already bought the first two. Good thing for my wallet.

These two are very good examples. Both games are higher priced on EBay, Amazon and almost everywhere else. The only game retailer that beats Gamestop on Metroid Trilogy was PlaynTrade, I picked up a complete pristine copy for $39.99. Gamestop was selling it at the time for around 70 bucks, one of the few games they matched close to online prices back then. The crazy part is it has dropped down to $59.99 compared to online average of over 100 or more bucks today.

I am tempted to pickup a second Metroid Trilogy at Gamestop, I know of a couple of stores that have it in stock! As for Xenoblade, I'm on the fence even at under fifty bucks at Gamestop, would jump at if I could have gotten the preorder book with it.

Nobody will get rich investing in Video Games, but that second Trilogy is tempting just to have a second backup copy! Metroid is still more expensive to find versus Xenoblade or most any other Wii game. However, throw in the book, both games are pricey.

EDIT
Since Xenoblade has been posted a lot recently, here are links concerning the Pre Order book. Now this is worth collecting! At least we can see the pages, thanks to the these member's efforts.

Michi's Book with Pics - viewtopic.php?f=2&p=594751#p594751

Ziggy's Book with Download Scans - viewtopic.php?f=2&p=596396#p596396

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

Hey CRT, stop buying up so many spares and making all this crap more expensive for the rest of us. :wink:

You're a collector, dammit! You know your current copy will retain it's condition.

Also, invest that money in Xenoblade. It's totally worth it.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Any mention of Pandora's tower yet?

I have a feeling that will jump up in price quickly, no matter how big the run is. An extremely late Wii game of high quality? Well...

Not to mention how bad a Special/Limited edition will go, assuming they are made. I might have to preorder a copy, despite not owning a Wii/Wii U.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nintendork666 wrote:Hey CRT, stop buying up so many spares and making all this crap more expensive for the rest of us. :wink:

You're a collector, dammit! You know your current copy will retain it's condition.

Also, invest that money in Xenoblade. It's totally worth it.

Very tempted on that game too. I'm not big on RPGs, but the concept of the open explore worlds inside two giant "colossus" is intriguing. Oh crap which one to buy.

Posted here first, my guesstimate
Xenoblade will get released on the WiiU. The main complaint is the open world really needs to be in full HD to enjoy the spectacle. Maybe once this happens Wii Xenoblade will drop in price? It certainly will not get another print run on the Wii this late in the "game". :?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

CRT, if Xenoblade sold on the Wii U, I imagine that the Wii version would jump in price. I could see a case similar to Twilight Princess on Gamecube versus Wii.

I personally have the Gamecube version of TP. Because I'm better than everyone else.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:CRT, if Xenoblade sold on the Wii U, I imagine that the Wii version would jump in price. I could see a case similar to Twilight Princess on Gamecube versus Wii.

I personally have the Gamecube version of TP. Because I'm better than everyone else.

i think that the gamecube version is more expensive because the wii version of TP forces you to use the motion controls.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

ninjainspandex wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:CRT, if Xenoblade sold on the Wii U, I imagine that the Wii version would jump in price. I could see a case similar to Twilight Princess on Gamecube versus Wii.

I think that the gamecube version is more expensive because the wii version of TP forces you to use the motion controls.

Makes sense, some prefer the Analog sticks. I hate the shake, but love the instant aim of the Wiimote. The Wii Xenoblade offers both motion and classic controls so maybe if a WiiU release might have a different draw? The portable map screen with the "traditional" analog stick control might have some influence on the Wii price?

Agree, the controls of a remake could be an influence of future Wii prices. Not only for this game, but other Wii remakes that might work better or worse on the WiiU?

Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Nobody will become rich on investing in games if your only buying 1 copy of each 8)

But itll be a nice down-payment on something if you sell them all!