16%
Undecided
6%

Total votes : 277
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

by D.D.D. Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Betamax001 wrote:The Wii U might not suffer this same fate because the Wii has fallen out of popularity in the last 2 or 3 years, but this might present a new problem being "You haven't played your Wii in years, Why should I spend good money on a new one you won't play?" Nintendo needs to chuck the name of the Wii U while it still can. It's not too late. It won't come out until November (probably) and this so called "Wii U Preview Event" is a good time for Nintendo to actually drop the Wii U name and call it something better, something new and fresh that will get the buyers to understand that it is something new, and not a revamp of the old hardware, or new model. If a few months from now, and the Wii U isn't selling as much as they thought, and I hear moms at Best Buy at GameStop saying crap like "What is the difference?" and not understanding it, I'll be saying "I told you so" to Reggie (Well not actually, I would probably be like...whoa...you're Reggie...uhhh hi...)

From Revolution to Wii was about about 6~7 months before launch. We're less than 3 months away and a name change probably wouldn't be helpful at this time or at least, give it enough time for people to change their association with it - unless there was a giant marketing campaign, which would kinda screw up their financial plan by going cheaper on hardware I presume.

From NES to SNES and the same from DS to 3DS... I heard it a lot... so there is definitely the issue... I just don't really know how it'll be this time around.

This next gen is really going to be so weird in terms of companies playing it safe and what kind of creativity we'll get and whatever the NextXbox and PS4 will bring as well. I really can't even begin to imagine what's coming. And I guess that's good because if I could, it'd be pretty boring. :lol:
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:52 pm

dreamcast4ever83 wrote:This system is not a hd wii at all! The specs are higher then the ps3 or 360 and thats a fact. No one can judge the graphics by the launch titles if that's the case toss your ps2 in the garbage day 1 before you buy it.

Long-term it will be, given that the specs, while higher than the nearly 6-7 year old competition, will almost certainly be significantly lower than the next MS/Sony systems and will be splitting resources to drive the touchscreen on the GamePad(s).

Good, bad, or indifferent, I see the Wii U's library following the same kind of pattern as the Wii's once the competition is released.

'course, I tend to agree, a lot of the masses that bought the Wii in the first place will probably perceive the Wii U as the GamePad being a Wii accessory or thinking it's like an iPad. Then the social aspects of the network...it could catch on, but it seems to me like it'll be a lot harder to market than the Wii's motion controls or balance board were.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 pm

I have been wanting a Wii U for a while, but I'm waiting for more games I want to come out.
And I have to buy a laptop before win 8 comes out and ruins everything.
Once SSB4 gets a release date would probably be the time I pick one up.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
irixith
Next-Gen

by irixith Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:00 am

Betamax001 wrote:and this so called "Wii U Preview Event" is a good time for Nintendo to actually drop the Wii U name and call it something better, something new and fresh that will get the buyers to understand that it is something new, and not a revamp of the old hardware, or new model.

I guess Microsoft better stop using Xbox for their consoles, and Sony better stop using PlayStation for theirs. They might confuse consumers who will think that they aren't something new! Apple better jump onboard and stop using iPod and iPhone too! Those poor consumers!
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:14 am

isiolia wrote:Good, bad, or indifferent, I see the Wii U's library following the same kind of pattern as the Wii's once the competition is released.

Y'know, I'm 100% okay with that. The Wii was my favorite system this generation and dare I say it, of all time (maybe - just because I can have all of Nintendo's systems in one console and that's damn wonderful).
Though I did have a lot of fun with PS3 games that I know the Wii couldn't do, I had more fun on the Wii. I more than likely will pick up a PS4 when ever it comes out... rather when it hits a decent ($300) price.
I am kinda expecting the Wii U to be $300 since Iwata (?) said they couldn't sell it for the same price (25,000yen) as the Wii was. That kinda sucks cuz Nintendo consoles have never been more than (25,000yen or $200).
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:09 am

I don't understand the big deal over box design. While I agree that sky blue isn't the best color choice, I don't think it's a deal breaker or anything. What really matters is the hardware performance, game library, and controller functionality and comfort, IMO.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:21 am

I wonder how long it will take hackers to make emulators run on the Wiipad~
equalsign
Next-Gen

by equalsign Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:42 am

irixith wrote:
Betamax001 wrote:and this so called "Wii U Preview Event" is a good time for Nintendo to actually drop the Wii U name and call it something better, something new and fresh that will get the buyers to understand that it is something new, and not a revamp of the old hardware, or new model.

I guess Microsoft better stop using Xbox for their consoles, and Sony better stop using PlayStation for theirs. They might confuse consumers who will think that they aren't something new! Apple better jump onboard and stop using iPod and iPhone too! Those poor consumers!

I think it's more of a problem for Nintendo. Many of the people buying their systems are parents and grandparents that don't really have a clue when it comes to gaming consoles.
eskil
32-bit

by eskil Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:55 am

equalsign wrote:I think it's more of a problem for Nintendo. Many of the people buying their systems are parents and grandparents that don't really have a clue when it comes to gaming consoles.
Yeah, but they're buying those consoles because they have kids and grandkids that keep nagging them to buy that shiny new thing.
"NO MOM YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THE 'U' MEANS THAT ITS NEW AND BETTER AND I HAVE TO HAVE IT MOMMY PLEEEEAAASE"
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 am

I WANT A SUPER NINTENDO!!!!!

Why? Don't you already have a Nintendo?

YEAH BUT THIS ONE IS 16-BIT!
Return to Nintendo