16%
Undecided
6%

Total votes : 277
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

by D.D.D. Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:27 am

ZeroAX wrote:BTW, does anyone know if the Wii U has a blue ray drive or a DVD drive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_optical_disc

It has neither but likely the technology is Blu-ray based as the Wii's optical disc was DVD-based (both to avoid DVD & BR licensing fees).
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:09 pm

ZeroAX wrote:I just find the yellow line ugly, and I am surprised an entire marketing department doesn't think so too. The blue box and logo is nice, but not really "Nintendo". I mean, don't forget Nintendo is red and Sega is blue. Actually this looks like what Sega would have chosen as a box color for the Dreamcast 2 :D.

In some respects, the yellow makes sense to use in that blue/yellow/red are the primary colors, and form a triadic color scheme. /shrug

The shade of blue just doesn't look any better for them than it does for Windows Phone or Windows 8. :lol:
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:17 pm

isiolia wrote:
In some respects, the yellow makes sense to use in that blue/yellow/red are the primary colors, and form a triadic color scheme. /shrug

And all added together make......Wii/DS/Apple WHITE :o :o :o :o. Now it ALL MAKES SENSE. And if you take the letters spelling Nintendo, turn them into numbers and add them somehow together they make...... 23

....me conspiracy sense is tingling
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
brandman
32-bit

by brandman Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Am i the only one who likes the Wii U box color scheme? 0.o
Image Image Image VVV
3DS Friend Code: 4382 - 2058 - 7982
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:46 pm

brandman wrote:Am i the only one who likes the Wii U box color scheme? 0.o

I actually warmed up to the sky blue box. It makes sense that they must stand out compared to the Wii boxes, so people don't get confused, and that they try to go a different color than what the competitors had in the past (black, green, purple). So blue is perhaps the most "neutral" choice they had. I know red would look horrible unless it was a rare case like the New Super Mario Bros Wii game.

But I don't think I'll ever like that yellow line xD. Here's hoping for a different design for the PAL regions :P
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:57 pm

I like the box color scheme. I also like the 360's. (but not the oXbox's)
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:50 pm

I'd personally go with a more neutral color than bright as hell blue, but I don't have control over that decision.

I'm still happy with the whole direction things are going with this so far. I just hope get a PS2 from being first console released rather than a Dreamcast.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
dreamcast4ever83
128-bit

by dreamcast4ever83 Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:54 pm

This system is not a hd wii at all! The specs are higher then the ps3 or 360 and thats a fact. No one can judge the graphics by the launch titles if that's the case toss your ps2 in the garbage day 1 before you buy it.

This system will be kickbutt and anyonw not getting it is missing out. how can someone judge something thats not out yet. I love the excitement of getting a launch system cause you never know.
Betamax001
Next-Gen

by Betamax001 Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/08/nintendos-imminent-wii-u-hurdles

The biggest hurdle? Telling Ma and Pa consumer that this is different from the Wii and not an add on/new model. This was Nintendo's biggest problem with the 3DS I believe. I think that Nintendo in their head wanted the name "DS" to be like GameBoy was in the 90's. The problem with that is that there were TOO MANY regular DS models to confuse the consumers who are primarily buying the device-parents/family members with no knowledge about the device buying it for their child.

They don't understand the new tech under the hood. I don't believe GameBoy had this problem in the 90's with the confusion because all of the models of GameBoy were A) not released more or less all within a few years like DS, and B) the new model names were reflective on how each model was different. Game Boy Pocket was a smaller version of the original brick GB. GameBoy Color was in color. Game Boy Advance was a lot more Advanced than the GB and GBC. And each previous model was phased out of production by the time the new model came out. If little Johnny wanted a "GameBoy" for Christmas in 1993, there was only the Game Boy. If Suzy wanted a "GameBoy" in 1997, there was mainly only the Pocket. If Mikey wanted a "GameBoy in 1999, there was only the GameBoy Color. If Mary wanted a GameBoy in 2002, there was only the GBA. In 2005, only the SP. But if little Johnny wanted a "DS" in 2010, which do you get him? The DS Lite? The DSi? The DSiXL? All are a little different, but essentially the same. In 2011, there were still all three models available, along with the new 3DS. Just now Nintendo released the 3DSXL. They don't make the DS Lite anymore, but that is still 4 models of what parents might think are the same thing. 3D in their minds is a gimmick to fork over a few more bucks at the theater or for a new TV.

The Wii U might not suffer this same fate because the Wii has fallen out of popularity in the last 2 or 3 years, but this might present a new problem being "You haven't played your Wii in years, Why should I spend good money on a new one you won't play?" Nintendo needs to chuck the name of the Wii U while it still can. It's not too late. It won't come out until November (probably) and this so called "Wii U Preview Event" is a good time for Nintendo to actually drop the Wii U name and call it something better, something new and fresh that will get the buyers to understand that it is something new, and not a revamp of the old hardware, or new model. If a few months from now, and the Wii U isn't selling as much as they thought, and I hear moms at Best Buy at GameStop saying crap like "What is the difference?" and not understanding it, I'll be saying "I told you so" to Reggie (Well not actually, I would probably be like...whoa...you're Reggie...uhhh hi...)

Though it doesn't matter really, because I'll probably get one eventually (when I have a job, and money to spend on a new game system....and I would rather get a 3DS or Vita first...)
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
equalsign
Next-Gen

by equalsign Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 pm

I won't be picking one up for a LONG time. I'm just not ok with spending hundreds of dollars on a machine to play games any more. I am not ok with paying original retail price for games any more. I have a Wii and a PS3. I have many older systems. I have a big backlog. I have hardly explored the PS3 library. I don't have time to play the games I have.

I'll pick it up in 4 or 5 years. The system will be cheaper. There will be quality games available brand new for 1/2 or 1/3 of the price. I'm a patient person. I see much to gain by waiting, and little to gain by jumping in at the beginning.
Return to Nintendo