Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by racketboy »

Nert wrote:
casterofdreams wrote:As far as collecting goes, I think I am content with what I have. I picked up all of the third party games I’d want and I have a couple of first party games I’m on the fence about, mainly Mario Party 10 and Mario Maker. Is the second game worth getting now that the online component is pretty much done?

I would say yes, there's an endless amount of levels to play and tons of videos highlighting the better ones. You could easily sink a ton of hours into it, you'll get bored before you run out of content if that makes sense. I'm not sure about servers and how long the content will be available but if you can get a used copy for cheap and you like Mario you will get your moneys worth. Maybe do it sooner rather than later if you're really interested, no word on a switch version but I don't see why they wouldn't make one

How well would a 5 year old do with Mario Maker. I know my son would love to give it a try, but curious how we would do without having somebody helping him over his shoulder. (Which I obviously don’t mind here and there)
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Ziggy587 wrote:Mario Maker is (still) insanely popular. Miiverse is gone, so sadly there's no more commenting in game. But you can still share levels.

I would be surprised if there isn't a follow up to Super Mario Maker on the Switch.

Can't wait for that day. Mario Maker may be my all time favorite Wii u game. I should probably hop back on and make some levels for it... for reals.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Nert
8-bit

Post by Nert »

racketboy wrote:
How well would a 5 year old do with Mario Maker. I know my son would love to give it a try, but curious how we would do without having somebody helping him over his shoulder. (Which I obviously don’t mind here and there)

It's quite easy to sort the levels by difficulty, it'll give you a list of the more popular ones. For easy though you'll probably get mostly auto levels which are fun to watch but get old quick. There's also 100-man mode which picks random levels for you at the difficulty you choose and you must beat a pre determined number of them with a hundred lives, but you do get some junk levels like that since it's random. Another option, there is a favorites list. You can currate some levels for the kid to play through, but that involves doing some research to find the good ones. There are plenty of creative, fun levels out there. I've mostly stuck with the more challenging ones but I'm sure you can find some good stuff for the youngins as well
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

So I’ve got a couple of questions: 1) does the game come with preloaded levels to play on? How many?
2) the user made levels: can you download them for offline play? Can I download a shit ton of them in the event online gets taken down and still play them in the future?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

casterofdreams wrote:So I’ve got a couple of questions: 1) does the game come with preloaded levels to play on? How many?
2) the user made levels: can you download them for offline play? Can I download a shit ton of them in the event online gets taken down and still play them in the future?

1) Yes. You get ten at a time. After you beat those ten you get ten more. I don’t know how many total for reasons I will address shortly.

2) I set out to download ziggy’s user made levels for offline play sometime last year, and I managed to completely screw myself over. Want to know how?

Up to this point I had never used my WiiU online. I don’t have an isp at home except for my cellphone. I had created a local WiiU account, which I just called, “Sam” and I had all my saved games right there.

I wanted to try out Ziggy’s user made games, so I brought my WiiU to work one weekend when the boss man wasn’t working. I downloaded the system updates first. I had to sign in to my Nintendo ID to download ziggy’s Mario Maker levels. I used the same Nintendo ID that I used on my 2DS. This process associates my Nintendo ID with my local “Sam” account. I successfully downloaded every level I wanted. Then I powered down my WiiU to take home.

When I get home, I power up my console again. I click my “Sam” account... NOPE! Apparently I need to sign into my Nintendo ID to use the “Sam” account from now on. Except that I have no internet connection for my WiiU. :roll:

Now I have all those Mario maker files on my WiiU, and I have no way to sign into my own account to utilize them. What’s more, I have lost access to every single saved game I had on my WiiU. I won’t be able to reach any of my saved games until I can reconnect my console to the internet. :?

I can still make a local user account on my WiiU, but any new one user account does not gain access to another users save data.

I got so fed up that I basically quit playing my WiiU because I don’t have the patience to restart every single WiiU game. :x
Nert
8-bit

Post by Nert »

^^oof that's rough.

So yeah, you can download levels, the thing is it takes up the same slots for your own creations. I think you get something like 40 slots, haven't counted, but it isn't THAT much space. I know there are some people trying to preserve the game but haven't looked into it much. Something about making it work on PC for when Nintendo inevitably takes down the servers.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

samsonlonghair wrote:I set out to download ziggy’s user made levels for offline play sometime last year, and I managed to completely screw myself over. Want to know how?

Oh man, I'm sorry. I feel like it's my fault!

As I suggested in the other thread last year... I wonder if you could use your cell's data. Some phones can broadcast a WiFi signal. Else, it maybe possible to tether internet via USB from the phone. I'm sure you wouldn't wanna suck up all your data usage, but I'm thinking it would be mere megabytes (of course, monitor it to make sure!). Even if you have it online just long enough to sign into Sam, it'll probably let you continue even if you lose the internet connection after the fact.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ziggy587 wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:I set out to download ziggy’s user made levels for offline play sometime last year, and I managed to completely screw myself over. Want to know how?

Oh man, I'm sorry. I feel like it's my fault!

As I suggested in the other thread last year... I wonder if you could use your cell's data. Some phones can broadcast a WiFi signal. Else, it maybe possible to tether internet via USB from the phone. I'm sure you wouldn't wanna suck up all your data usage, but I'm thinking it would be mere megabytes (of course, monitor it to make sure!). Even if you have it online just long enough to sign into Sam, it'll probably let you continue even if you lose the internet connection after the fact.

Not your fault; you couldn’t have predicted; I’m accountable for my own mistakes. 8)

Been working on cellular WiFi. It’s more complicated than I anticipated. My prepaid carrier doesn’t take kindly to tethering, and my android phone just happens to be a particularly hard to root HTC one M8. Of it’s not one thing, then it’s another, ya know? :roll:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

for a second I had thought about trying to find a cheap/used Wii U because it had occurred to me that it was backwards compatible with Wii. Now, my wife has a Wii so that's not what was interesting me - it was when it dawned on me that I could play Wii games on the Wii U tablet thingy, much like playing Switch games in handheld mode. But THEN I went and read that the Wii games on the tablet make you use a Wii controller - apparently you can't just play Wii games using only the tablet? That blows.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

We've had the Wii for a few months now and quite happy with it -- especially my son.
And yeah, it would be cool to not have to use the Wii Mote for Wii games, but it hasn't bothered me too much -- at least it all runs pretty well and they look great. So nice to play on native HDMI without issues.

Now's a great time to be buying Wii U games too -- so many Switch titles that are so much cheaper!