Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

by retrosportsgamer Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:46 pm

^ Lol - that's awesome
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:53 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:You'll probably like this Penny-Arcade comic, then.

The nail's head....has been hit.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Doesn't require the Wii U in the slightest, but could make setup simpler (Neverwinter Nights, the 2002 one at least, let you host DnD games with player(s) acting as DMs. I doubt the Wii U will support 96 players like that does, but the setup is certainly different :lol: ).

'course I'm still of the mentality that half of what the GamePad does could just be approximated with an app on a phone or tablet (like SmartGlass does). It's more the "use the LCD as a rifle scope" kind of gameplay that'd stay more exclusive to the Wii U, not the "call plays where the other guy can't see" stuff. If there's a demand for it.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:19 pm

isiolia wrote:Doesn't require the Wii U in the slightest, but could make setup simpler (Neverwinter Nights, the 2002 one at least, let you host DnD games with player(s) acting as DMs. I doubt the Wii U will support 96 players like that does, but the setup is certainly different :lol: ).

'course I'm still of the mentality that half of what the GamePad does could just be approximated with an app on a phone or tablet (like SmartGlass does). It's more the "use the LCD as a rifle scope" kind of gameplay that'd stay more exclusive to the Wii U, not the "call plays where the other guy can't see" stuff. If there's a demand for it.

But the thing is the Wii U can bring this type of gameplay to the masses. Plus let's be honest, no matter how many people use smartglass if it doesn't reach over 50% of the install base, developers will half heartily support it.

Though I had different ideas. More like there being 2 different play screens. For example on the TV you control a character, and on the gamepad you control a different one. Or maybe you control the hero on the TV and control units like an RTS game on the touch screen.

Or my favorite, a Zelda game where it's 3D on the TV, and 2D top down perspective on the touchscreen :D. And it really is the same game environment, but through different views, and you have to explore the area both ways to solve puzzles :D. (for example the signs on the floor only make sense if you look at them from above, and stuff like that :D).

The possibilities are endless....the appetite for 3rd party publishers to explore them? Extremely limited :(
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:47 pm

ZeroAX wrote:But the thing is the Wii U can bring this type of gameplay to the masses. Plus let's be honest, no matter how many people use smartglass if it doesn't reach over 50% of the install base, developers will half heartily support it.

It's even deeper than that. If you want devs to design for it, it has to come in the box. Otherwise they won't bother to make it reliant for fear of artificially limiting their customer base. At best it will be an optional feature. Look at every single after-market peripheral made, ever.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:57 pm

MrPopo wrote:It's even deeper than that. If you want devs to design for it, it has to come in the box. Otherwise they won't bother to make it reliant for fear of artificially limiting their customer base. At best it will be an optional feature. Look at every single after-market peripheral made, ever.

Yeah, that is what I think in general, (I mean the Wii Balance Board sold so many copies, but few games outside its launch window supported it), but here is the thing. This is the Xbox. Online gaming isn't something they get for free. They pay for it. Yet they choose to design games that solely depend on the online portion to sell, cause they know this crowd is a biiiiit more involved than most casual gamers (and by this I mean Xbox's casuals (the Madden and CoD crowed) probably knows a biiiiiiiiiiiiit more about games and stuff, than the singstar, super mario casual crowd of Sony and Nintendo respectively.

So I think there is a higher probability that xbox users will adopt smartglass than most consoles, and if some big games come out with support for it (CoD, which I am 100% it will support it cause this application looks like a very good way to sell new forms of DLC), they will adopt it very fast, establishing a semi-viable install base for this.

BUT again, it will only be half heartedly supported (meaning even if EVERY game supports it, it won't be big features), because it will never be the standard and companies can't risk it.

But, I think smartglass can actually help Nintendo more than it can harm it:

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-smartglass-might-help-nintendo-more-it-will-microsoft/
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:34 pm

ZeroAX wrote:But the thing is the Wii U can bring this type of gameplay to the masses. Plus let's be honest, no matter how many people use smartglass if it doesn't reach over 50% of the install base, developers will half heartily support it.

Though I had different ideas. More like there being 2 different play screens. For example on the TV you control a character, and on the gamepad you control a different one. Or maybe you control the hero on the TV and control units like an RTS game on the touch screen.

Or my favorite, a Zelda game where it's 3D on the TV, and 2D top down perspective on the touchscreen :D. And it really is the same game environment, but through different views, and you have to explore the area both ways to solve puzzles :D. (for example the signs on the floor only make sense if you look at them from above, and stuff like that :D).

The possibilities are endless....the appetite for 3rd party publishers to explore them? Extremely limited :(

For the masses, sure, perhaps, that's why I mentioned it making it simpler.

It's only even an issue for local multiplayer, which arguably has taken a backseat. It doesn't take setting up a server yourself for a game to allow different views for different players in online play.
On the other hand, it could serve to make local multiplayer (more of) a Nintendo niche.

Personally, I don't think the "two screens" concepts you presented are particularly compelling - at least for a single player. It might mean easy glancing between what would otherwise be a menu or map screen, but realistically you can't look at both at the same time anyway. Really, hold up your hand and focus on that versus your monitor or the wall in front of you. You can't focus on both at the same time.
It works on the DS because the two screens are right next to one another, but to bounce between the controller and TV you'd be constantly shifting focus. For a single player, you could just as well map a button as a fast-toggle between two different screens on the TV.

IMO, it's one of those things that shouldn't be judged so much on the "can you get used it" metric, but more on whether it's actually better. Not that we won't see tons of it, just like we saw "waggle" substituted for an arguably simpler or more consistent button press...but still...

There are places it could work, but more likely things that require touch input as well.

For multiplayer, there are more possibilities, though again actual network/online play would blow it away in terms of hiding screen contents.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:38 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:You'll probably like this Penny-Arcade comic, then.
The nail's head....has been hit.

Depends on the game. From what I tried in the "Party Games" demos of Super Mario and Rayman, the Sideways Remote of the other player(s) was more fun and interactive then tapping the screen. However, the touch screen did have a couple very good uses, Pikmin 3 map scroll ahead for example.

Imagine when a FPS is fully realized in the portable screen, the look around the room while strafing.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:19 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:Imagine when a FPS is fully realized in the portable screen, the look around the room while strafing.

Depending on how well it's used, that mechanic alone may make me appreciate FPS again.....but I make no promises.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:14 am

I think my decision will be concluded after their conference, depending on what games are announced. I'm just not excited by what's been announced so far.
Price-wise, a $250 simple pack would be nice and a $300 combo of some sort would be fine too. Hope the Euro and JP prices aren't gonna be too off from the US'.

SamuraiMegas wrote:If Nintendo had teamed up with sega they could have saved the dreamcast too lol.
Hmm... that's a interesting theory

That would have never happened. :lol:
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Return to Nintendo