Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by CRTGAMER »

isiolia wrote:
dreamcast4ever83 wrote:This system will have a ton of rare and hard to find game's that one day collectors will be paying a high price for on ebay.
I don't think it'll be seen as innovative necessarily. The only "innovation" the Wii hardware brought is motion controls, and opinion is decidedly mixed on those. Otherwise you're left with marketing/product positioning, which if you're not a bean-counter at Nintendo, was certainly not a win/win.

Despite some of the titles its gotten, the system has been mostly bad for third party developers. It has gotten a lot of fairly unique titles, but most of them are low budget projects. Some of them probably because the developers didn't have the money for HD development. Some of them because that's all the developer was willing to risk on the platform where only a minority of non-first party games do all that well (scan down the list here for example).

That may well result in a long list of hidden gems on the system down the line, with relatively few copies out there hidden amongst the stacks and stacks of shovelware.

This is true there are a lot of titles that are "shovelware" and there are also very very good games that did not appear on that Wiki list. Elebits, Geometry Wars, Skycrawlers Innocent Aces and Sin and Punishment are a few examples. Agree with dreamcast4ever, there will be unique Wii titles that will be hard to find later on.

ZeroAX wrote:But the Wii U remains a big question mark. Nintendo needs some MUST HAVE software pronto. Let's hope Dragon Quest X in Japan, and New Super Mario Bros Wii U (seriously?) help it sell many Wii Us at the start so to have a viable install base for smaller publishers and developers to take advantage of its "non-graphic whores" audience, and come out with small quirky games that can become successful with less sales.

Agree, the tap here and there to add a platform for Mario is pretty lame, Wii U Rayman also has that silly tap tap action on the touch screen. The Nintendo Land package of mini games looks pretty good as a sellpoint. The concept of multiple party games to get the whole family involved just like the Wii did with Wii Sports. My bet is it will be a bonus packin on the deluxe box. The main stand out on Wii U Batman over other editions was the motion as an option and not mandatory for say "flying" the batwing and the touch screen as an inventory.

Wii U Review 1080p and Traditional Control
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=30455&p=640392#p640392
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

Any idea if the console will include composite cables? Or will I have to finally upgrade to an HDtv of some sort, before picking one of these up?
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nintendork666 wrote:Any idea if the console will include composite cables? Or will I have to finally upgrade to an HDtv of some sort, before picking one of these up?

It does have support for Composite and HDMI port. Since HDTVs are much more mainstream a good chance it will have HDMI cables. Composite is getting almost as uncommon as SVideo on newer HDs. Even if only the composite cables are included, HDMI cables are inexpensive.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

s1mplehumar wrote:
SamuraiMegas wrote:Oh man.
I gotta decide between laptop without terrible win 8 or Wii U quick. I don't think the Wii U has Any super must haves, unless it has arkham city with all DLC bundled with the system (I mean gotye type game)

Simples. You grab the laptop in question, do a fresh install of Win7, and then purchase a WiiU because it reads "Nintendo" on the box. Just sayin'

If people bought things because nintendo was slapped on it the virtaul boy should have sold amazingly lol. If Nintendo had teamed up with sega they could have saved the dreamcast too lol.
Hmm... that's a interesting theory
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Nintendork666 wrote:Any idea if the console will include composite cables? Or will I have to finally upgrade to an HDtv of some sort, before picking one of these up?

According to the specs here the system will still be able to use the Wii AV cables. I would imagine that at least some titles will wind up with readability issues on SD connections though, as the 360 and PS3 have both run into that.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

If your TV is 16:9 or has a 16:9 compression function, you should be fine. Skyward Sword and Xenoblade were difficult to read on my 4:3 TV until I enabled 16:9 compression. I went out and bought a used HDTV about halfway through Skyward Sword.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

I think I'm in the clear then. Thanks guys. Still plan on waiting for some more tempting titles to drop before picking one up though.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Zing wrote:If your TV is 16:9 or has a 16:9 compression function, you should be fine. Skyward Sword and Xenoblade were difficult to read on my 4:3 TV until I enabled 16:9 compression. I went out and bought a used HDTV about halfway through Skyward Sword.

Those titles would still have been designed around 480i/p though. The Wii U will support those resolutions, but will probably have a lot more software designed for 16:9 and 720p or 1080p, which is where the current HD systems started running into complaints.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

I'd be very disappointed if this doesn't become at least a moderate success (40 million units), because I am already dreaming amazing gameplay innovations with that controller. Far more than I ever did with the Wii mote
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

You'll probably like this Penny-Arcade comic, then.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|