Not interested
16%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

Ziggy

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by Ziggy »

You can softmod the virtual Wii that resides inside the Wii U, just FYI.

Personally, I'd recommend getting a U sooner rather than later. I have a feeling that the low sales will cause the used market prices to jump up quicker. From what I've seen, used U consoles aren't especially cheap to begin with.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:You can softmod the virtual Wii that resides inside the Wii U, just FYI.

Personally, I'd recommend getting a U sooner rather than later. I have a feeling that the low sales will cause the used market prices to jump up quicker. From what I've seen, used U consoles aren't especially cheap to begin with.

Same procedure and everything? Same interface/experience?
Any downsides?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I haven't done a vWii softmod, so someone correct me if I get something wrong here, but my understanding is that it works exactly the same way. My main hesitation is that, as a general rule of thumb, I don't do any software mods to any console that might still be updated. My general rule is official hardware and game support being dropped by the company and at least 18 months since the last OS update.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

racketboy wrote:Same procedure and everything? Same interface/experience?
Any downsides?

More or less the same procedure to install the mod. I think there are vWii specific install files and instructions, but otherwise it's basically the same deal.

As for interface / experience, yeah, it's the same. On the Wii U menu, there's a vWii channel. When you boot into the vWii, you're basically playing a real Wii. Or, at least, a "Wii minus," but even then there's ways to boot GCN games from a HDD. There's even an official (as well as a Mayflash) GCN to USB controller adapter. So AFAIK, there's really no downside outside of having to boot the console THEN boot into the vWii.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I don't do any software mods to any console that might still be updated. My general rule is official hardware and game support being dropped by the company and at least 18 months since the last OS update.

Yeah, I'm the same way. It was a loooooong while before I finally installed the HBC on my Wii.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I haven't done a vWii softmod, so someone correct me if I get something wrong here, but my understanding is that it works exactly the same way. My main hesitation is that, as a general rule of thumb, I don't do any software mods to any console that might still be updated. My general rule is official hardware and game support being dropped by the company and at least 18 months since the last OS update.

Yeah that makes sense. That and a Wii now is pretty cheap and easy to replace if you screw something up.
(is it pretty hard to screw up the mod or should I be remotely nervous?)
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

racketboy wrote:Once the holiday season hits, I think I’m going to feel a need to either get a Wii U or a Switch.
A Wii U would be nice to have HDMI output for our Wii, but I’m also thinking about doing a nice soft-mod setup with lots of emulation on our Wii for the kids. Also curious how well the Wii U does with handling Wii games....
I guess with the games being ported, should I just stick with a soft mod Wii and a Switch and skip the Wii U altogether?

Weren’t you having trouble with your Wii HDMI adapter a couple months ago? If you get a WiiU, you won’t need to worry about a third party HDMI solution.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

racketboy wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I haven't done a vWii softmod, so someone correct me if I get something wrong here, but my understanding is that it works exactly the same way. My main hesitation is that, as a general rule of thumb, I don't do any software mods to any console that might still be updated. My general rule is official hardware and game support being dropped by the company and at least 18 months since the last OS update.

Yeah that makes sense. That and a Wii now is pretty cheap and easy to replace if you screw something up.
(is it pretty hard to screw up the mod or should I be remotely nervous?)

I mean, teaching has taught me never to underestimate someone's ability to find a way to screw things up....but it's SUPER easy, and there are really layman's terms step-by-step instructions online.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

racketboy wrote:(is it pretty hard to screw up the mod or should I be remotely nervous?)

So it's pretty much this: Put some files on an SD card, open a letter in the Wii Message Board, watch the HBC get installed.

Follow the directions here and it couldn't be easier: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup#Letterbomb

Using Letterbomb to install the HBC is very safe. It basically just uses an exploit to install a channel (the Homebrew Channel). So it's as safe as installing a channel from the Wii Shop Channel. The HBC will allow you to launch homebrew apps, so installing it is the first step.

After you install the HBC, the first thing you should do is install BootMii and backup your NAND. BootMii is homebrew that can can backup and restore your NAND. The "NAND" is the flash memory inside the Wii that everything is stored on. If you have an earlier model Wii, BootMii can be installed as Boot2. What this means is that BootMii will be able to boot before anything else loads. So it basically makes your Wii invincible, should your brick it or have any corrupt installs or whatnot. After you install the HBC, install Boot2, then immediately backup your NAND.

A later model Wii cannot install BootMii as Boot2, in which case you can only install it as an IOS (basically, an operating system). You should still install BootMii even if this is your only option. You should also install PriiLoader (you should install PriiLoader even if you can install BootMii as Boot2, it's useful either way). PriiLoader can load before the System Menu, and you can use it to load BootMii.

So in short:
1) Install the HBC via Letterbomb
2) Install BootMii as Boot2
3) Install PriiLoader
4) Your Wii is invincible

If you have a later model Wii and can only install BootMii as an IOS, with PriiLoader, you still have to fuck up pretty hard to brick your Wii.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I actually managed to mess mine up, I don't know whats wrong with it, now it has a boot screen everytime you turn the console on and I think it doesn't load backupNGC games or something like that. But it will play from SD card so its works but in a crippled kind of way. All the install IOS stuff got me confused.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

samsonlonghair wrote:
racketboy wrote:Once the holiday season hits, I think I’m going to feel a need to either get a Wii U or a Switch.
A Wii U would be nice to have HDMI output for our Wii, but I’m also thinking about doing a nice soft-mod setup with lots of emulation on our Wii for the kids. Also curious how well the Wii U does with handling Wii games....
I guess with the games being ported, should I just stick with a soft mod Wii and a Switch and skip the Wii U altogether?

Weren’t you having trouble with your Wii HDMI adapter a couple months ago? If you get a WiiU, you won’t need to worry about a third party HDMI solution.

Yeah, I’ve just been sticking with Composite (which also now has to go direct to TV since my reciever’s composite input seems to be causing issues)

Thanks for all the input, everyone. While I haven’t made my decision on my course of action, I have a much better picture of my options.