Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by Xeogred »

I like 3D World more than Odyssey. :P
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I like 3D World, and I’ve never even played Odyssey!
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Since I don't think the Switch is ideal for a family like mine (kids: 9, 8, 6, 3 and 3mo) I am trying to beef up my WiiU collection since we all enjoy it. I just got Pokken and Color Splash with Target's current buy one get one free deal.
Now I only need Yoshi's Wolly World and I will have all the 1st party titles we want.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I've been waiting for something like Target's sale so I appreciate you mentioning it. This is my chance to pick up Pokken, Smash, and maybe Mario Maker.

Update: got the two Nintendo fighters for $52 including tax. I call that a super win!!!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Looks like I might be getting Smash finally.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

If you like Smash Brothers, then more power to you. It was never my cup of tea.

Seriously though, Pokken is a flipping awesome fighting game! Pokken is the superior fighter.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

samsonlonghair wrote:If you like Smash Brothers, then more power to you. It was never my cup of tea.

Seriously though, Pokken is a flipping awesome fighting game! Pokken is the superior fighter.

My kids love Smash Bros, mainly for the button mashing. I never mastered the controls and since they were never comfortable I never got into the game.
I did get Pokken and am saving it for a birthday or holiday gift, so I am looking forward to it.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I like Smash in short bursts, but I hate playing it with "Smash players" because they take it too fucking seriously and I very rarely want to play more than half an hour at a time. Plus I always play all items with high drop rates because chaos is fun, but NOOOOOOO that's for casuals.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

It's really a tossup for me between Odyssey and 3D World right now. I'm about 7-8 Worlds into the former and it's great, but the hype is really overselling the game I think. It's a solid 8/10, but so is 3D World. Here is my (premature) comparison so far.

For 3D World:
+ Levels feel full, and are engaging from beginning to end
+ Real Co-op with unique characters that makes the game a blast to play with others.
+ The art is great, everything is clear and colorful.
+ I feel the controls are tighter overall. The characters feel less slippery than in MO
+ Plenty of collectibles without feeling like a slog
+ Difficulty curve is very well balanced.
+\- For certain stages the gamepad is required
- The more structured style of this one makes what little story there was feel irrelevant.
- This also means exploration is not a focus. Playing can sometimes feel workmanlike, trading efficiency for curiosity.

For Odyssey:
+ Worlds are huge and most have plenty of personality.
+ The art style is like 3D World+. Presentation is AAA all the way.
+ The story feels much more important, with a every world advancing the overall plot.
+ Difficulty is again handled with aplomb. Meeting the main story requirements is easy, but the challenge is there for those who go further.
+/- Controls are fine (in fact, they're very good) but not up to 64 or 3DW. The additional moves are awesome though.
- The larger worlds can feel a little too spread out.
- Moon-hunting can be a real chore when you get down to the last few in a world
- Co-op is Mario Galaxy style, player 2 isn't an independent character.

Overall I can see why people are much more excited about Odyssey. It's a huge game with an equally huge marketing push on a hot new Nintendo console. The single-player focus helps people take it more seriously as well. It gives the impression of a bigger adventure, hearkening back to Mario 64 and even the 2D games. 3D World was a great game on a failed console, with very little marketing hype. It felt like an (excellently made) series of platforming obstacles, and it as harder for the general audience to get excited about it.
Balasubbie
128-bit

Post by Balasubbie »

samsonlonghair wrote:If you like Smash Brothers, then more power to you. It was never my cup of tea.

Same. Played and completed Brawl (which I've been told is doing it wrong) and just found the whole thing a bit too chaotic. Actually kinda jealous of people into it, looks tremendous fun if you can get to grips with it.