16%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by noiseredux »

It sounds awkward in my head... Does that tablet easily stand up on it's own so you can use a Wiimote or whatever?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

noiseredux wrote:It sounds awkward in my head... Does that tablet easily stand up on it's own so you can use a Wiimote or whatever?

Oh -- you point at the sensor bar just like anything else. Typically, I just set the tablet down and play on the TV like normal. I guess I wasn't focusing on your comment of playing on the tablet only. So yeah, that would be a little awkward. But if there's certain games that don't use the Wii mote much, it might not be too bad.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah, I'm strictly thinking about how comfortably I could play games on just the tablet. Like, I know I could get a Wii Pro Controller, but I mean... does the tablet stand up on its own pretty well? Will I have to get some kind of extra stand for it? I guess I'm trying to see how comfortable or cumbersome this might be.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The Wii U comes with a stand for the tablet. Actually, the charging cradle is a stand in and of itself. And it comes with an additional stand. If buying used, keep an eye out if it's included or not.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

What Ziggy said. Also playing Wii games on the tablet works better than you think. It has a sensor at the top of the screen and generally it all works as well as playing on a TV. I found it pretty helpful to play Wii games whilst my wife watched TV.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Reprise wrote:What Ziggy said. Also playing Wii games on the tablet works better than you think. It has a sensor at the top of the screen and generally it all works as well as playing on a TV. I found it pretty helpful to play Wii games whilst my wife watched TV.

It is sort of enticing. With gift cards I got for Christmas, I could get a console for ~$50. My wife has a bunch of Wii games already. And it looks like some of the Wii U titles of interest to me are less than $20 each. :0
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Oh that is interesting and good to know -- thanks, everyone!
I saw the port for the dock, but my used one didn't come with one.
Maybe I'll pick one up sometime.

I think we actually enjoy ours, I might actually pick up a second Wii U at some point to do some jailbreaking and put downstairs on the big screen.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

How good is the range on the Gamepad? I'd probably be playing it a lot outside of my game room, where the actual console would reside.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

The range isn't great. I don't think I ever managed to get it too far out of the room my Wii U would be in.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

oh so I did end up grabbing a used Wii U. I grabbed a copy of Wind Waker HD for under $20 which seems like now is probably a good time to buy Wii U games. When I plugged the console in, it turns out it had come bundled with some digital games as well. Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land and Wii Sports Resort were already on there.