16%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by dunpeal2064 »

chuckster wrote:I played Bayo 1 on Wii U then got it on PC. I didn't notice any issues with either version. Of course PC gives you more graphics options, but overall the game plays pretty much identically as far as I can tell. I still haven't tried Bayo 2 even though I have it alongside the first game on WiiU.

If you liked Bayo 1, then you are in for the treatiest of treats with the sequel.

Oh, and probably goes without saying, Ex, but be sure to get a Pro controller. Character Action games on that pad will destroy your hands. :lol:
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

prfsnl_gmr wrote: Deus Ex

It does stand out among the console versions, but if second screen integration isn't the prime consideration then none of them compare to the PC. Other improvements and additions are available on every platform that got the game via the Director's Cut. PS3 and 360 got second screen support via Vita and Smartglass to boot.

Stood out at the time, and remains a notable port, but I think for many the vastly increased performance of the PC version would win out.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

isiolia wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote: Deus Ex

It does stand out among the console versions, but if second screen integration isn't the prime consideration then none of them compare to the PC. Other improvements and additions are available on every platform that got the game via the Director's Cut. PS3 and 360 got second screen support via Vita and Smartglass to boot.

Stood out at the time, and remains a notable port, but I think for many the vastly increased performance of the PC version would win out.

IMO the Wii U port of Deus Ex is the best console version of the game, but yeah, the PC version is almost always going to be supreme.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

So did Nintendo officially pull the plug on the Wii U? I remember they said something that they will keep Wii U and Switch on the market in tandem.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dunpeal2064 wrote:- Star Fox (Never even considered this one, very curious to see what you think of it)

Eh I'm a bit of a Star Fox fanboy, gotta play 'em all.
dunpeal2064 wrote:+ Wonderful 101 (Its not THAT good, but its Platinum, and still fun)
+ Devil's Third ( 8) )
+ Super Mario Maker (I'm not the creative type, and I still find this well worth)
+ DKC Tropical Freeze

Wonderful 101 I recognize as a quality production, but watching gameplay videos, I don't think I'd enjoy it much. Devil's Third... 'eh not for me. SMM I am sure is great if you want to make/share Mario levels, but that's not something I care to do. Tropical Freeze can die in a fire.

I will get the pro controller! Thanks for reminding me about that.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Tropical Freeze is great! Devil's Third is shit, but it's glorious shit. It's like if Steven Segal made a video game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

As someone who has never made/shared MM stuff, I do think it has its worth in just having access to a ton of really good, really hard content. Some of these folks make stuff that puts Mario's mechanics to use better than Nintendo has!

Not that I think its a must own, I just like to shed light on its potential as a sort of Super Mario Bros 2 jp, New Super Luigi U esk game. If you like real damn tough Mario, it has some appeal.

Either way, you have a solid list there, and I definitely look forward to hearing your thoughts on Bayonetta 2 and Star Fox, among others.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Tropical Freeze is great! Devil's Third is shit, but it's glorious shit. It's like if Steven Segal made a video game.

Agreed on tropical Freeze. I legit think Devil's Third is a good game though, with one of the most interesting scoring systems in a character action game
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:So did Nintendo officially pull the plug on the Wii U? I remember they said something that they will keep Wii U and Switch on the market in tandem.

Nintendo wound up officially announcing that Wii U production was ending around the beginning of 2017 or so (I think it started getting reported in the end of 2016, but some Nintendo reps avoided making a definitive statement initially). Far as I know they stopped manufacturing them in 2016. Reggie had also stated that BoTW would be the final first party release for it. They're done with the system, and anything left on the shelf is simply old stock.

It's the 3DS line that's still coexisting for the time being.

Exhuminator wrote:Wonderful 101 I recognize as a quality production, but watching gameplay videos, I don't think I'd enjoy it much.

The main thing about the Wonderful 101 demo that I remembered was hating it. Not being apathetic towards it, but like, angry, as though it wronged me somehow.

....yet the collector in me still ended up buying it when it got cheap. :?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Apparently, Axiom Verge is still getting a physical release for the Wii U (according to Nintendolife, at least). I will definitely get that if it actually comes out.

Want!

isiolia wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:So did Nintendo officially pull the plug on the Wii U? I remember they said something that they will keep Wii U and Switch on the market in tandem.

Nintendo wound up officially announcing that Wii U production was ending around the beginning of 2017 or so (I think it started getting reported in the end of 2016, but some Nintendo reps avoided making a definitive statement initially). Far as I know they stopped manufacturing them in 2016. Reggie had also stated that BoTW would be the final first party release for it. They're done with the system, and anything left on the shelf is simply old stock.

It's the 3DS line that's still coexisting for the time being.

The "Third Pillar" again, eh? :roll: I think we have heard that story from Nintendo before, haven't we?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Keeping the 3DS alive makes sense. It's got a massive install base, and a lot of devs can develop rather inexpensively for it. I do expect it to conk out at some point, especially if the Switch keeps going gangbusters. However, right now, the 3DS in my mind is a little more portable and a little more "throwaway", as in if I lost it or it got stolen, it would suck, but it wouldn't $300 suck.