Not interested
16%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

MrPopo

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by MrPopo »

General_Norris wrote:Dammit guys, can't you be nice to each other?

If we're all nice to each other then how will we hate each other?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

Metal Jesus wrote:Played it and saw all the launch games at PAX Prime this weekend, and I can honestly say that it's completely underwhelming. It really is just a HD Wii. I went into the expo wanting to be impressed, but the games all look current gen.

We heard the same FUD in 2006. The Wii was just "two GameCubes duct-taped together" and the games were no better than on the GameCube.

irixith wrote:The colour on the box though? Really?

I am not exaggerating in the slightest when I say there were dozens and dozens of posts simply discussing the small yellow stripe on the WiiU game covers over at NeoGAF. Some people are just looking to complain.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Zing wrote:We heard the same FUD in 2006. The Wii was just "two GameCubes duct-taped together" and the games were no better than on the GameCube.

To be frank the Wii may actually have been less than 2 gamecubes duct-taped together.

Mind you it didn't matter when it comes to the quality of games, but unfortunately in an industry (talking about big 3rd party publishers, not indie companies) where the only way to go "forward" it to make everything "bigger", it suffered from short sighted developed games.

I would hate to see the same happen with the Wii U, specially since the controller looks like a hardcore gamer's dream (meaning, there are so many ways it can be used for amazing games), but already we have seen that some developers are just publishing ports with added on gimmicks (Batman). I just wish that developers who are actually investing in amazing original games (Zombie U, Rayman Legends, Lego City) see success on the system and the others pay for not supporting the Wii U properly, like they payed at the beginning of the Wii's life, where they didn't support it properly, and when they came to the party, it was too late (though perhaps that's a bit sad about the Wii's 3rt party game sales, but whatever)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

ZeroAX wrote:[I just wish that developers who are actually investing in amazing original games (Zombie U, Rayman Legends, Lego City)

Point of order: I don't think we can call anything involving zombies original, at least until they've fallen out of vogue for a while. I agree that the game seems to make interesting use of the new controller, but you could do the same thing without it being another zombie game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

MrPopo wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:[I just wish that developers who are actually investing in amazing original games (Zombie U, Rayman Legends, Lego City)

Point of order: I don't think we can call anything involving zombies original, at least until they've fallen out of vogue for a while. I agree that the game seems to make interesting use of the new controller, but you could do the same thing without it being another zombie game.

hahaha fair enough. But the thing is that the survival mechanisms make this game quite interesting for me. Mind you the only other zombie game I've played is Left 4 Dead, so I don't know if other games are different, but that game hardly feels like a proper zombie apocalypse game. It has the setting, but not the proper mechanics. It feels more like (what it is really) a "on the move" version of invasion from UT2004.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
equalsign
Next-Gen

Post by equalsign »

MrPopo wrote:
General_Norris wrote:Dammit guys, can't you be nice to each other?

If we're all nice to each other then how will we hate each other?

I remember the good old days when everyone just hated Mozgus :D. And then Budsmoka. And then that guy with the really bad dating advice. And then Ballz3d. And then Inazuma.

God I miss those guys :lol:.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

dreamcast4ever83 wrote:I also got the wii day one. I camped outside bestbuy waited 28 hours for it and walked out with wii, legend of zelda tp and red steel. Everyone came by screaming out the window wii sucks and calling us losers and such. I just laughed i was the loser waiting for a game system yet they had enough freetime to drive by at 2am to mock us. Can you say never gets laid.

That system took a year before anyone could find one while the ps3 was over priced and at that time lacking quite a bit.

I love nintendo so I will buy day 1 at lauch. It's been a custom of mine since i was young to get every sega and nintendo system at lauch

28 hours? I waited in line for 45 minutes and preordered one. Then went in on launch and bought it in 10 minutes. . .
Metal Militia
128-bit

Post by Metal Militia »

dreamcast4ever83 wrote:I also got the wii day one. I camped outside bestbuy waited 28 hours for it and walked out with wii, legend of zelda tp and red steel. Everyone came by screaming out the window wii sucks and calling us losers and such. I just laughed i was the loser waiting for a game system yet they had enough freetime to drive by at 2am to mock us. Can you say never gets laid.

That system took a year before anyone could find one while the ps3 was over priced and at that time lacking quite a bit.

I love nintendo so I will buy day 1 at lauch. It's been a custom of mine since i was young to get every sega and nintendo system at lauch

I still can't believe I bought an 80GB PS3 for $500 :oops: !I blame it on fucking Metal Gear Solid 4 :lol:

Since my birthday is in early November, I might pick up a Wii U at launch. It really just depends how much it will be and what games will be available at launch.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Zing wrote:

I am not exaggerating in the slightest when I say there were dozens and dozens of posts simply discussing the small yellow stripe on the WiiU game covers over at NeoGAF. Some people are just looking to complain.

That's awful.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

irixith wrote:
Zing wrote:

That's awful.

See? You agree too, that colored line is just awful. Now you are seeing things from my perspective. (and yes I am just trolling, don't answer).

I did not say it will keep me from buying games (we bought SNES games when clearly Mega Drive had by far the superior package design (not to mention plastic boxes). But it's just a weird design decision. Big companies like Nintendo spend hundreds of millions on marketing their image, and the package design is a big part of it.

I just find the yellow line ugly, and I am surprised an entire marketing department doesn't think so too. The blue box and logo is nice, but not really "Nintendo". I mean, don't forget Nintendo is red and Sega is blue. Actually this looks like what Sega would have chosen as a box color for the Dreamcast 2 :D.

I understand though why they chose a color that stands out so much. People confused 3DS games for DS games all the time, and since they are not changing the name of the console, they probably want to avoid that happening. Don't forget the PS1,2 and 3 had VERY different cases for their games, so you couldn't confuse them for each other.

BTW, does anyone know if the Wii U has a blue ray drive or a DVD drive?