Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

racketboy wrote:I’ve just been sticking with Composite

Eww oh my god gross this alone is reason enough to go the Wii U route if YPbPr Wii cables aren't an option.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Oof, yeah, composite ain't good.

So if it hasn't been hit on before, the one advantage the Wii has over the Wii U is that 240p is supported on the Wii. That's great for a CRT. The Wii U does not, but if you're running this on a modern LCD, then 240p isn't necessary. Indeed, many HDTVs don't even support 240p properly. (Strangely, my Samsung set does, but with some caveats. Most stuff looks smooth, but something about the Genesis signal creates a hitch in the scrolling. I don't use it for retro games anyway, though; that's for my Sony sets.)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Sarge wrote:Oof, yeah, composite ain't good.

So if it hasn't been hit on before, the one advantage the Wii has over the Wii U is that 240p is supported on the Wii. That's great for a CRT. The Wii U does not, but if you're running this on a modern LCD, then 240p isn't necessary. Indeed, many HDTVs don't even support 240p properly. (Strangely, my Samsung set does, but with some caveats. Most stuff looks smooth, but something about the Genesis signal creates a hitch in the scrolling. I don't use it for retro games anyway, though; that's for my Sony sets.)

Well that's good to keep in mind. If I get the Wii U, I can still keep the old Wii, mod it and use it with a CRT
Nert
8-bit

Post by Nert »

Regarding soft modding a Wii and/or WiiU, how does the vWii on WiiU handle different controllers? I have the GameCube adapter which only works with Smash 4, does it also work on vWii if it's modded? Can I use the WiiU Pro controller? Smash Bros wasn't released on WiiU VC so the Wii VC version will have to do, but I really don't want to have to use the classic controller, a GC controller or the WiiU Pro would be great. Otherwise I'll have to get a Wii and just use that with component, rather avoid it if I can, :lol:
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Nert wrote:I have the GameCube adapter which only works with Smash 4, does it also work on vWii if it's modded?

The GameCube adapter works on Nintendont (Gamecube emulator for vWii). You just gotta set it up manually first.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Nert
8-bit

Post by Nert »

sevin0seven wrote:
Nert wrote:I have the GameCube adapter which only works with Smash 4, does it also work on vWii if it's modded?

The GameCube adapter works on Nintendont (Gamecube emulator for vWii). You just gotta set it up manually first.

That is good to know, but do you know if it also works on N64 games for VC on vWii?
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Nert wrote:That is good to know, but do you know if it also works on N64 games for VC on vWii?

As far as I know, no. The emulator hasn't been updated since 2012 (Wii64).
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Staring to put time into the Wii U again.

I got Smash 4. The game looks pretty good. I don’t have a GameCube controller, at least not the original or Smash one with the adapter. I am using the PDP and Hori licensed controllers and they work great.

I purchased the VC version of Xenoblade Chronicles because it was significantly cheaper that the physical copy. Before I start X, a hundred hour game on the U, I want to run through a hundred hour game on the Wii :lol:

I have Tokyo Mirage Sessions in the disc slot currently. I believe I’m half way done with that. I really need to finish it.

As far as collecting goes, I think I am content with what I have. I picked up all of the third party games I’d want and I have a couple of first party games I’m on the fence about, mainly Mario Party 10 and Mario Maker. Is the second game worth getting now that the online component is pretty much done?

I have about ten to 15 games on my eShop wish list that I want to snap up. But before I do that I need to get a new HDD. The drive I have was one I had lying around that has hit its ten year mark recently. I’m playing with fire with that one.
Nert
8-bit

Post by Nert »

casterofdreams wrote:As far as collecting goes, I think I am content with what I have. I picked up all of the third party games I’d want and I have a couple of first party games I’m on the fence about, mainly Mario Party 10 and Mario Maker. Is the second game worth getting now that the online component is pretty much done?

I would say yes, there's an endless amount of levels to play and tons of videos highlighting the better ones. You could easily sink a ton of hours into it, you'll get bored before you run out of content if that makes sense. I'm not sure about servers and how long the content will be available but if you can get a used copy for cheap and you like Mario you will get your moneys worth. Maybe do it sooner rather than later if you're really interested, no word on a switch version but I don't see why they wouldn't make one
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Mario Maker is (still) insanely popular. Miiverse is gone, so sadly there's no more commenting in game. But you can still share levels.

I would be surprised if there isn't a follow up to Super Mario Maker on the Switch.