16%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by RCBH928 »

Reprise wrote:I wonder what the demand and prices will be like for Wii U hardware and games on the retro market in 10 years time. Due to its reasonably short lifespan and failure, will it gather any kind of cult following? .

I don't think the Wii U will have a cult following really. No body was really impressed by this console. I think it will be with the category of (Jaguar,3DO, 32x) over the (Neo-Geo, Saturn, Dreamcast). For the average user, it doesn't have any interesting games as most of the good games were either ported or your regular Nintendo franchise games that has many iterations. The way I see it is that the only people interested in the Wii U are the Nintendo loyalists who already own one or two of them.

Cult following usually happens with consoles that had unique experience or unique game library. Although this can be achieved with the Wii U GamePad I don't think it was utilized enough to reach that state. I really see it more like Wii 1.5.

The main reason I think Wii U will be worthwhile is that it can play both Wii and Wii U games over HDMI so thats 2 consoles in 1 for the modern tv. The real stars of the Wii U are Bayonetta 2 and ZombiU which we will never see again given how upset Ubisoft was with the sales.

low print copies and weird games will sure fetch high prices in the future, but by this point in time every game collector is aware of the future value of these games and are probably stacking up well. I don't recall anyone used to think of videogames as an investment up to the ps2 days.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I think you underestimate the Wii U.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Wii U already has a cult following. A lot of Wii U owners liked the system. I like it. Nah it will def have a cult following. 3d0 and such had almost nothing to redeem it. Wii U has plenty of good games. Still yet to see Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Wonderful 101 or Xenoblade X, Smash Bros ported to Switch. 3 fantastic games. You vastly underestimate the Wii U.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

RCBH928 wrote:
Reprise wrote:I wonder what the demand and prices will be like for Wii U hardware and games on the retro market in 10 years time. Due to its reasonably short lifespan and failure, will it gather any kind of cult following? .

I don't think the Wii U will have a cult following really. No body was really impressed by this console. I think it will be with the category of (Jaguar,3DO, 32x) over the (Neo-Geo, Saturn, Dreamcast). For the average user, it doesn't have any interesting games as most of the good games were either ported or your regular Nintendo franchise games that has many iterations. The way I see it is that the only people interested in the Wii U are the Nintendo loyalists who already own one or two of them.

Cult following usually happens with consoles that had unique experience or unique game library. Although this can be achieved with the Wii U GamePad I don't think it was utilized enough to reach that state. I really see it more like Wii 1.5.

The main reason I think Wii U will be worthwhile is that it can play both Wii and Wii U games over HDMI so thats 2 consoles in 1 for the modern tv. The real stars of the Wii U are Bayonetta 2 and ZombiU which we will never see again given how upset Ubisoft was with the sales.

low print copies and weird games will sure fetch high prices in the future, but by this point in time every game collector is aware of the future value of these games and are probably stacking up well. I don't recall anyone used to think of videogames as an investment up to the ps2 days.

I would like to point out the ZombiU was ported to all platforms including PC. Bayonetta 2 is coming out on switch, with a third announced for said system.

The Wii u will be remembered for the oddities. Strange games that isn't reproducible like Nintendo land or Mario party. It has games we will never see on other systems that are a true joy. It was a flawed system, but had that Nintendo magic that makes it charming.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

ZombiU was ported but not particularly well, and everything that made it unique was lost in translation. Wii U remains the supreme version of that game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

ElkinFencer10 wrote:ZombiU was ported but not particularly well, and everything that made it unique was lost in translation. Wii U remains the supreme version of that game.

Oh I 100% agree but I was just merely addressing the fact that he said we will never see ZombiU or bayonetta 2 ever again because of its poor sales.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

ZombiU on Wii U is still one of my favourite games of this generation (or is it the last generation now? Nintendo really knows how to make things confusing). It was literally the perfect example of how to do a Survivor Horror game right in 2012. The multiplayer experience was really underrated too. I had a ton of fun playing it with my wife (who admittedly had less fun, but oh well).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Reprise wrote:ZombiU on Wii U is still one of my favourite games of this generation (or is it the last generation now? Nintendo really knows how to make things confusing). It was literally the perfect example of how to do a Survivor Horror game right in 2012. The multiplayer experience was really underrated too. I had a ton of fun playing it with my wife (who admittedly had less fun, but oh well).

This This a hundred times this. I got the ZombiU bundle and was enthralled! Such a great game that people really underrated.

wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

Also, at least in my area the Wiiu has held it's value. I have even seen it at 199 used at GameStop. It is quite possible that it has already bottomed out in price for the console and games.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Wonderful 101 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are so damn underrated. Xenoblade X is also great. 3D World and Smash are not on Switch but I would own a Wii U just for the first 3 games I mentioned alone.