16%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by casterofdreams »

Segata wrote:Wonderful 101 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are so damn underrated. Xenoblade X is also great. 3D World and Smash are not on Switch but I would own a Wii U just for the first 3 games I mentioned alone.

I agree on all of your points, though I never played Wonderful 101.

Smash will most likely not be ported over but will have a new installment. People bring up Mario Kart 8's porting but I think Nintendo did that in order to plug a software hole in between releases. That and the series has a broader appeal, sales-wise at least, than Smash. Smash will probably get a new game in the series.

Overall I agree with most of the recent posts: the Wii U will have a cult following. Low console sales, unique software, and a memorable controller / gimmick (think VMU) will ensure this.

Could the idea behind the Wii U have been implemented better? Sure. So can every other console, both failures and successes, implement better ideas or at least execute them better.

Pricing for the console does remain high though. I'm in the NYC area where prices are generally higher than in other areas if you go hunting in brick and mortar locations.

In short: Viva La Wii U!!!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Has any one heard anything in regards to a time table for Nintendo shutting down the Wii U online services? I have a Nintendo refurbished Wii U that I got to keep as a backup, but I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I need to get it online so I can be sure I have the latest system update. Also, I need to run every game in my collection on it (as well as my main Wii U) at least once so I can grab whatever updates are available.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Ziggy587 wrote:Has any one heard anything in regards to a time table for Nintendo shutting down the Wii U online services? I have a Nintendo refurbished Wii U that I got to keep as a backup, but I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I need to get it online so I can be sure I have the latest system update. Also, I need to run every game in my collection on it (as well as my main Wii U) at least once so I can grab whatever updates are available.

They haven't said. I think the online services will last a long while, but who knows!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

wclem wrote:Also, at least in my area the Wiiu has held it's value. I have even seen it at 199 used at GameStop. It is quite possible that it has already bottomed out in price for the console and games.

During Christmas time, you could get a Wii U and BotW for $140 at Gamestop. Then in January, it switched to $160 with MK8 and another game. There's still one in stock deal online, right now.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I honestly enjoy Tokyo Mirage Sessions more than I enjoy Persona 5 to be honest. Wonderful 101 is also fantastic.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Reprise wrote:I honestly enjoy Tokyo Mirage Sessions more than I enjoy Persona 5 to be honest. Wonderful 101 is also fantastic.

Same. TMS flat out fantastic!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I would like to point out the ZombiU was ported to all platforms including PC. Bayonetta 2 is coming out on switch, with a third announced for said system.

The Wii u will be remembered for the oddities. Strange games that isn't reproducible like Nintendo land or Mario party. It has games we will never see on other systems that are a true joy. It was a flawed system, but had that Nintendo magic that makes it charming.

I am sorry, I didn't realize ZombiU was released for other platforms. Although I realize the definitive version is on the WiiU it will not help its legacy in the future. You have to be truly hardcore to go for the "better" version of the game on a different console paying up to $150-200 just to expeirence it over the $20 version on Steam.

I will guess the Bayonetta 2 on the Switch will be the better performer here.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I think you underestimate the Wii U.

Segata wrote:Wii U already has a cult following. A lot of Wii U owners liked the system. I like it. Nah it will def have a cult following. 3d0 and such had almost nothing to redeem it. Wii U has plenty of good games. Still yet to see Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Wonderful 101 or Xenoblade X, Smash Bros ported to Switch. 3 fantastic games. You vastly underestimate the Wii U.

When you judge the Wii U on its own, sure its a fun console. Its not like the Philips Cdi, but you have to consider whats out there too and for what price and rethink its value. I am going to guess Nintendo is going to re-release every game on the Wii U back on the Switch to profit from the large user base exposure that the Wii U never had.

It might have a cult following already, but I am willing to bet its the same Nintendo cult followers that love everything and anything Nintendo.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I don't love anything and everything from Nintendo.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I love anything and everything video game. Hence why I have a HyperScan.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

Take some video (if you can) of that Hyperscan!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.