16%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by RCBH928 »

Sarge wrote:Keeping the 3DS alive makes sense. It's got a massive install base, and a lot of devs can develop rather inexpensively for it. I do expect it to conk out at some point, especially if the Switch keeps going gangbusters. However, right now, the 3DS in my mind is a little more portable and a little more "throwaway", as in if I lost it or it got stolen, it would suck, but it wouldn't $300 suck.

Its hard to believe there is still a place for the 3DS given the success of the switch, ipads, and smart phones. Its also a 7+ year handheld is its pretty much dated by now. Can someone clarify to me if the 3DS is just a glorified DS like the XboX1X or is it a completely different handheld?
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

RCBH928 wrote:Can someone clarify to me if the 3DS is just a glorified DS like the XboX1X or is it a completely different handheld?

Hopefully I'm not making this question simpler than intended, but the 3DS is a completely different architecture from the DS. Or to put it another way, although you can play DS games on a 3DS, you can't play 3DS games on a DS. In terms of the 3D aspects; I know some people find it to be a gimmicky feature, and if we're being completely forthright it really is sort of gimmicky, but it's also a neat piece of tech, and I mean if you have a 3DS (as opposed to a 2DS), you might as well use it. If the 3D isn't a draw for you though, the 2DS is a solid value.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The 3DS shares a similar form factor and mode of interaction to the DS, but is much more powerful hardware. I've dumped some specs below, but the bottom line is that the 3DS chews up the DS and spits it back out.

DS:
Main CPU - 67 mhz Arm9
secondary CPU - 33 mhz Arm7 (same kind of processor as the GBA, but running double the speed, except in back-compat mode, where it's clocked back to 16 mhz)
4 MB main RAM
Basic 3D graphics - Unknown clock speed; not as capable as the N64 in terms of effects, but can push about as many polygons, though at much lower resolution.
Top screen res - 256x192
Bottom screen res - 240x160

3DS
Main CPU - 266 mhz dual-core Arm11
secondary CPU - Arm9 unknown speed (same kind of processor as the DS, at least the same speed to ensure backwards compatibility)
128 MB main RAM (32 reserved for OS, so only 96 MB available to other software)
3D graphics - dedicated 133 mhz 3D GPU. Can push approximately 125 times the number of polygons around the screen with many more advanced 3D effects compared to the DS. Still pretty low resolution, though when operating in stereoscopic 3D mode it does have to push twice the number of pixels as the DS as well.
Top screen res - 400x240 (800x240 in stereoscopic 3D mode)
Bottom screen res - 400x240
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

The parallel for the Xbox One to One X in the Nintendo lineup would probably be the 3DS to New 3DS, since that doubles the RAM, about triples the CPU speed, and bumps the GPU speed up a good bit as well.

Otherwise, Nintendo's handhelds have been ARM based since the GBA, but have swapped to newer versions of the architecture and more between major models. The Switch is ARM based too, but it's certainly not just an overclocked 3DS.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Also, the 3DS is one of my favorite systems ever. I absolutely love it. So many great games.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I am not sure if it was mentioned but two days ago marked the Wii U's fifth birthday in the States.

Happy birthday my guy. Wish things were different but you done alright by me.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Someone please post a PSA if Nintendo announces the end of the U's online services. I have to make sure I download update patches for all my games!
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Nintendo announced two more games that are being ported to the Switch. That's awesome for the people who missed out but the Wii U is becoming even more redundant.

Poor guy.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I will always be a stalwart champion of the Wii U. I'm gonna get that sucker's logo tattooed on me somewhere some day!
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

As far as I’m concerned, until Super Mario 3d World is ported my Wii U will still need to be plugged in. That game is criminally underrated. It’s no Mario Odyssey but how was everyone not going gangbusters about 4-player 3d Mario. I had a blast playing through that game with friends and family

Pikmin 3 is the best of its franchise too. I love that one. And if you ask me, Paper Mario Color Splash is the best paper Mario too. Although I know that isn’t a popular opinion.