Actually playing on a Gameboy?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Jungell
24-bit

Actually playing on a Gameboy?

Post by Jungell »

Hello fellows!

I've recently been lusting for a Gameboy. Mostly because I have an itch that only Castlevania can scratch and the time has come to collect the Gameboy titles. And as some of you know, I'm really into horror themed retro games and I know at least a handful for the Gameboy to collect.

But I'm wondering; which gameboy should I get if I actually want to play the games? I know that the Advance SP has the best screen by far. But I'm a bit of a purist and would really like to hold one of the pre-advance gameboys in my hands when playing. I did not actually have a Gameboy growing up, so I'm on uncharted waters and need your guidance.

Is it a joyable experience to actually play a game on either a Color or a Pocket? Or would I be limited to just the occasional play for the novelly of it? (Still better than my GameGear where the only novelly is looking at the console itself.)
The Color and Pocket seems to be fairly good when perfect light is achieved. So I would also like to know if that wormlight thing for the Color works well or if there is any other contraption?

Tell me about your preferences and experiences, how do you play your Gameboy games?

With this? :P

Cheers!
Jungell
"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I'm off to play Sega"-HAL 9000
MrPopo

Re: Actually playing on a Gameboy?

Post by MrPopo »

I use a Game Boy Light (JP import) for my regular games and my modded Color for my color games.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I think I rather play on a Gameboy Advance player,unless theres a power outage then there will be some wishful thinking. :lol:
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

I was in your exact situation a few months ago. Learn from my experience and get a Game Boy Color. You don't need a special light. Just bright room lighting or a decent nearby lamp. The contrast is great and pixels are sharp with no blurring.

The original Game Boy is essentially unplayable. Blurry. Low contrast. Only viable in direct, bright light. I bought one recently and gave it a serious try because I wanted the original experience, but it's un-usable for playing. I have fond memories of playing this unit back in 89-90, but even then, it was only in a lounge chair directly under a lamp.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

Modding the DMG-01 is relatively easy. It's a pet favorite of DIYers , and it also has the benefit of the best sound processing (if not necessarily speaker or 3.5mm jack) of any of the original Game Boys. I suggest you pick up a backlight from Kitsch-Bent or Nonfinite Electronics and go with that over one of those worm lights.
Jungell
24-bit

Post by Jungell »

Zing wrote:I was in your exact situation a few months ago. Learn from my experience and get a Game Boy Color. You don't need a special light. Just bright room lighting or a decent nearby lamp. The contrast is great and pixels are sharp with no blurring.

The original Game Boy is essentially unplayable. Blurry. Low contrast. Only viable in direct, bright light. I bought one recently and gave it a serious try because I wanted the original experience, but it's un-usable for playing. I have fond memories of playing this unit back in 89-90, but even then, it was only in a lounge chair directly under a lamp.

My lighting situation seems like it's going to be ideal for pocket or color, which I'm happy about! So would you say that it's possible to actually play a game on the color? My sessions usually last about an hour, give or take. Will my eyes bleed? :P
"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I'm off to play Sega"-HAL 9000
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Whenever I want to play I invariably reach for my Game Boy Pocket. I was floored by its improvements over the original brick back in its day, and it is no less satisfying now. I played my Color heavily for one or two color-specific titles, which was definitely fun -- but for some reason it never became my default. It might be worth noting that the Color is chunkier than the Pocket, just in case heftiness means something to you.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Jungell
24-bit

Post by Jungell »

Key-Glyph wrote:Whenever I want to play I invariably reach for my Game Boy Pocket. I was floored by its improvements over the original brick back in its day, and it is no less satisfying now. I played my Color heavily for one or two color-specific titles, which was definitely fun -- but for some reason it never became my default. It might be worth noting that the Color is chunkier than the Pocket, just in case heftiness means something to you.

That's interesting! Most of the people who still play the pre-advance models seem to prefer a modded brick or the color! Why do you think you stuck with old faithful?
Heftiness is not a problem, I'm only going to play in the comfort of my home and the occasional hotel room!
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

If this is solely for home play, I highly suggest a Superboy or Game Boy Player.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I bought a GBA SP last month, and I have not regretted it. Be sure to look for the AGS-101 which has a much brighter screen. Also plays all the older GB and GB Color games!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.