Pikmin 3

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Reprise
Next-Gen

Pikmin 3

Post by Reprise »

I was wondering why no one was discussing Pikmin 3 here, when it's been out since Friday, but I just read it isn't out yet in North America, so that probably explains it.

So for those in Europe or Japan who have it, how are you all finding it?

Personally, I'm having the most fun I've had with my Wii U since launch. I don't know why it's taken them so long to make it, since essentially it plays more or less exactly as Pikmin 1 and 2 did, but it was definitely worth the wait. So far, I think I prefer it to the first two. I have the red, rock and yellow pikmin so far and I am in the 3rd land, still looking for the captain.

Controls wise, using the gamepad feels clunky as hell. I find this weird, since I grew up playing the Pikmin games on the Gamecube, not the Wii. I'm not sure if they've messed up the controls somehow, or if controls on the GC were just as bad and I never noticed. Anways, in my opinion, the ONLY way to play Pikmin 3 is with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk and the Gamepad by your side for the map.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
k.vlaros
64-bit

Re: Pikmin 3

Post by k.vlaros »

Reprise wrote:I was wondering why no one was discussing Pikmin 3 here, when it's been out since Friday, but I just read it isn't out yet in North America, so that probably explains it.

So for those in Europe or Japan who have it, how are you all finding it?

Personally, I'm having the most fun I've had with my Wii U since launch. I don't know why it's taken them so long to make it, since essentially it plays more or less exactly as Pikmin 1 and 2 did, but it was definitely worth the wait. So far, I think I prefer it to the first two. I have the red, rock and yellow pikmin so far and I am in the 3rd land, still looking for the captain.

Controls wise, using the gamepad feels clunky as hell. I find this weird, since I grew up playing the Pikmin games on the Gamecube, not the Wii. I'm not sure if they've messed up the controls somehow, or if controls on the GC were just as bad and I never noticed. Anways, in my opinion, the ONLY way to play Pikmin 3 is with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk and the Gamepad by your side for the map.

I've heard and read a couple reports that the Gamepad controls are clunky. In anticipation of Pikmin 3's release, I've been replaying Pikmin 1 Wii [New Play Control] and the Wii Remote controls are good, although the 'charge' (formally C stick) is a little less satisfying. Pikmin 3 is my second most anticipated Wii U game this year after Wonderful 101. I think there's a good chance it's the last "big budget" console game Miyamoto gets his hands really dirty in. "Unfortunately" the early reviews are coming in more like 8.5 rather than 9.5, but even if it's as good as Pikmin 1 but in HD, I'll be extremely happy.
CavZee
Next-Gen

Post by CavZee »

I plan on getting it, but probably not for a couple months. New to the series so I'd like to play 1&2 first.
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Does anyone know if this one has a time limit like the first?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

emwearz wrote:Does anyone know if this one has a time limit like the first?

Nintendo has stated numerous times in the Nintendo Direct and behind the scenes interviews that there will not be a time limit like the first game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

emwearz wrote:Does anyone know if this one has a time limit like the first?

There's no time limit, just like Pikmin 2 didn't have one. However, you must find fruit in order to convert into juice, as you consume one glass of fruit each day. It's pretty easy to get a large buffer of juice, so I have no idea what actually happens if you get to zero...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

I really want this on release but $59.99 is hard for me to stomach nowadays on any game. I'm surprised there hasn't been any kind of promotion for this (gift card or something.) It's not like Nintendo can't use a massive marketing push for this title with the Wii U.

I'll probably cave though since I really enjoy the prior games.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

Already got it pre-ordered I've been waiting a long time for this game. Considering it was suppose to be a launch title for the Wii U!! :lol:

This is the Wii U game I've been anticipating for quite some time.
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Snagged myself a copy tonight and played through 4 days so far!

First impressions:
-A cute story and well presented, I can feel myself getting more attached to this one compared to Pikmin 2.

-Graphically it is sharp and clean, but with some big flaws. A lot of the time (especially while actually playing) it just looks great and vibrant. But then sometimes the textures really muddy up or get jagged. It is easy to see that a lot of its assets though vibrant and well crafted did not start in HD.

-Using the Gamepad works well but keeping the right stick only locked to the camera and not used for the cursor is a really odd choice. Still I think I'll keep using it over the Wiimote.

-Difficulty level is fine, right now I feel like I can manage my Pikmin well with the real danger being my own skills in time management.

-I like the management of two teams but also wonder if I will use it all that much outside of puzzle solving.

I see myself having a lot of fun with this title
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I have to say I think this is the best Pikmin yet. I'm also glad they got rid of those caves you have on Pikmin 2.

KDub wrote:-Using the Gamepad works well but keeping the right stick only locked to the camera and not used for the cursor is a really odd choice. Still I think I'll keep using it over the Wiimote.

What, really? Have you got to any of the bosses yet? It's really hard without the wiimote and nunchuck, as a lot of the harder bosses will really require you to be able to move quickly and aim freely at the same time.

KDub wrote:-I like the management of two teams but also wonder if I will use it all that much outside of puzzle solving.

So far, I haven't used it at all really, outside of puzzles. Sometimes it's quite useful if you want to send one team to go and do something basic, whilst you do something else though. As you can just send them on autopilot to go somewhere by clicking on the map. You just have to check every now and again that they haven't run into trouble en route.